• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
The 8700k is probably keeping frame-times within the 16.16ms limit much consistently than the others. You can monitor it with MSI Afterburner

Exactly. I will download afterburner to verify this.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation going around that the 8700K provides no meaningful upgrade over the 2600K or 3770K. In my opinion this is completely false for everything other than headline FPS numbers, which are not the only stat that is important in gaming.

Soldato
PUBG had a game update to enable better scaling to 6+ cores recently and the new Windows Fall Creator update is apparently helping out in more CPU bound instances with a number of setups. I found a combination of this update and the game mode actually didn't increase FPS massively over the same setup,under Win10 Creators or Win8.1 pro,but the new update has made games like FO4 stutter less in the most CPU bound areas. That is with an old IB Core i7.

Having said I still could probably would benefit from a new CPU though.

Last edited:
Associate
Exactly. I will download afterburner to verify this.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation going around that the 8700K provides no meaningful upgrade over the 2600K or 3770K. In my opinion this is completely false for everything other than headline FPS numbers, which are not the only stat that is important in gaming.

The misinformation probably stems from the flat out price gouging going on from e-tailers. There's probably a case for not upgrading whilst prices are being pushed up when there's no actual stock but to justify it people are claiming that fairly old chips are equally as good.

It'll definitely be a marked improvement on previous gen chips but the price of it probably isn't worth it. I was waiting for the apex board to go with a new 8700k but I'm not supporting companies taking advantage of the lack of supply so will just wait til next year for a new build and stick with consoles for a while in the meantime.

Associate
I'm having serious issues with my 8700k, 100c all cores at 2.6Ghz. Tried checking all the connections and reapplying TIM twice and no luck.

My predator 360mm works fine on my 6700k and has done for months. Pump is working.

I have sent in an RMA :(

Soldato
The misinformation probably stems from the flat out price gouging going on from e-tailers. There's probably a case for not upgrading whilst prices are being pushed up when there's no actual stock but to justify it people are claiming that fairly old chips are equally as good.

It'll definitely be a marked improvement on previous gen chips but the price of it probably isn't worth it. I was waiting for the apex board to go with a new 8700k but I'm not supporting companies taking advantage of the lack of supply so will just wait til next year for a new build and stick with consoles for a while in the meantime.
No, this always happens. More a case of people who own older gen don't want to upgrade/cant afford to upgrade so sole mission is to persuade others it's not worth it.
So what if a fwew benchmarks show small improvements. For an all round more optimum solution we all know the latest is better. Denying R&D has brought decent improvements, especially from 5 years ago is BS

Soldato
No, this always happens. More a case of people who own older gen don't want to upgrade/cant afford to upgrade so sole mission is to persuade others it's not worth it.
So what if a fwew benchmarks show small improvements. For an all round more optimum solution we all know the latest is better. Denying R&D has brought decent improvements, especially from 5 years ago is BS

Agree, though it doesn't help when reviewers are only using canned single player benchmarks.

Soldato
Agree, though it doesn't help when reviewers are only using canned single player benchmarks.
Yep. Said before I find benchmarks flawed anyway (pre-canned, no long term testing, no plotting of high, low, av FPS on a chart over a period of time) and reviews too in general I'm always sceptical of too.

Soldato
Yep. Said before I find benchmarks flawed anyway (pre-canned, no long term testing, no plotting of high, low, av FPS on a chart over a period of time) and reviews too in general I'm always sceptical of too.

Youtubers with MSI afterburner running is a place I usually go. And now theres a frametime graph option its even better.

Soldato
Total side-note. Any of you with Coffee Lake rigs seen any noticeable improvements with the Fall Creators update?? I know Forza7 stuttering has been fixed,but not seen many Coffee Lake owners chime in with the various threads on the subject.

Associate

Exactly what I'm doing. Wanting to do 8700k build but don't want to support this sort of thing.

Soldato
Total side-note. Any of you with Coffee Lake rigs seen any noticeable improvements with the Fall Creators update?? I know Forza7 stuttering has been fixed,but not seen many Coffee Lake owners chime in with the various threads on the subject.

Looking at the gamers nexus tests it seems that it's GPU performance that has increased.
Personally aside from Forza I've seen no improvements.

Soldato
Looking at the gamers nexus tests it seems that it's GPU performance that has increased.
Personally aside from Forza I've seen no improvements.

Thanks.

ATM,there seems to be a mishmash of people seeing improvements,staying the same or getting worse performance. It would be interesting to see what combinations are getting the best improvements,and in what areas. Some say averages are better,some say averages are the same but performance seems more consistent,etc.

Associate

There's no flat out "Its not worth upgrading" or "Its worth upgrading" for everyone. Everyone has different budgets, different use cases and different current builds.

Man of Honour
One of the things that is different this time around is that for many owners of older systems, the upgrade path carries a bit of a double/triple whammy on the cost front:

-Have to get 8600K if you want to do any sort of proper overclock, no 8400K/8500K available
-No budget motherboard available
-Have to get DDR4 memory, which is a lot more expensive than it used to be

So basically you are talking ~£270 for the CPU and over a ton for both the mobo and RAM (assuming you want 16GB). So that's ~£500 spend even if you don't replace/add any other components. That blows pretty much any base upgrade I've ever done out the water in terms of outlay.
I could kind of live with the CPU price (given the performance) if mobo and RAM were cheaper, but you add all that up and you want a bit more for your money, especially when considering the sort of boosts you used to get from smaller spends. This is speaking for myself of course (5 year old PC), as it depends on what system each person has to being with.

Soldato
One of the things that is different this time around is that for many owners of older systems, the upgrade path carries a bit of a double/triple whammy on the cost front:

-Have to get 8600K if you want to do any sort of proper overclock, no 8400K/8500K available

So basically you are talking ~£270 for the CPU and over a ton for both the mobo and RAM (assuming you want 16GB). So that's ~£500 spend even if you don't replace/add any other components. That blows pretty much any base upgrade I've ever done out the water in terms of outlay.
I could kind of live with the CPU price (given the performance) if mobo and RAM were cheaper, but you add all that up and you want a bit more for your money, especially when considering the sort of boosts you used to get from smaller spends. This is speaking for myself of course (5 year old PC), as it depends on what system each person has to being with.

CPU price seems good now with coffee lake, last time I got 3570k for £150 from here and could now replace that with 8400 for £170.

The ram has added massive price to the cost of build my last one cost me £30 for 8gb samsung this time round I'm going to end up spending £170ish.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
CPU price seems good now with coffee lake, last time I got 3570k for £150 from here and could now replace that with 8400 for £170.

The same tier CPU as your £150 3570k in the 8th gen CPU's is the 8600k, which is (or should be) about £260. So the cost is an extra £100. The 8400 is not the same tier as the 3570k, it's a locked CPU for a start.

Soldato
The same tier CPU as your £150 3570k in the 8th gen CPU's is the 8600k, which is (or should be) about £260. So the cost is an extra £100. The 8400 is not the same tier as the 3570k, it's a locked CPU for a start.

Depends which was you look at it, I just want a cpu for gaming and for gaming the 8400 is actually a tier higher than before as it matches 6700k/7700k in games and defo a tier above the old i5's unlocked or not.

Associate

I agree, the cost i can easily afford but the big thing for me is I'm looking at £1k for a mediocre gain, at least with GFX cards the %'s are same card of one generation to another around 40-50%'ish performance increase.
I know intel can't do much for DRR4 prices but they could extend CPU/mobo compatibility, this is the most frustrating thing, especially when we all know Z390 is right upon us, they are taking the biscuit TBH.
Josh.

Man of Honour
Here's what I ordered last time (and still use), 10th October 2012:
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail @ 149.99GBP
1 x GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard @ 75.60GBP
Already had 12GB DDR3 so no need for new memory

So £225 all in for that upgrade, compared to £400+ to go to Coffee lake even if I went for the 8400 option. The frustration really is that it's taken five years to get something worth upgrading to at the mainstream end, which is at least double my normal wait between upgrades, and even then the cost has me scratching my head to figure out if it is even worth it. In the past if I'd waited 5 years I'd have been spending less money to get more of a performance boost.

Associate
Here's what I ordered last time (and still use), 10th October 2012:
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail @ 149.99GBP
1 x GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard @ 75.60GBP
Already had 12GB DDR3 so no need for new memory

So £225 all in for that upgrade, compared to £400+ to go to Coffee lake even if I went for the 8400 option. The frustration really is that it's taken five years to get something worth upgrading to at the mainstream end, which is at least double my normal wait between upgrades, and even then the cost has me scratching my head to figure out if it is even worth it. In the past if I'd waited 5 years I'd have been spending less money to get more of a performance boost.
I have basically the same PC, and was also looking at an i5-8400 build. The up-front cost did seem a bit steep at first, but then I looked into how those parts have held their value fairly well. Just having a quick look at the prices your parts go for on eBay, you could be getting ~£170.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom