• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
Losing customers to?

By the way it now went up to £398.99 not sure if there are i*** buying at a higher price however it looks quite ridiculous obviously a smart person would not pay more for something which he knows is paying more than market / equilibrium price. SCAN too bumped it up but less than here though.

As both are playing I will just wait for it to be available on Amazon - Sold by amazon and get it there when it comes out as they sell recommended price or maybe a couple of quid more, but nearly £400 it is a utter joke shame as I wanted to buy somewhere "local" more than Amazon.

Associate
I'd be surprised if any store receives enough 8700K chips on Nov 1st to clear their preorders. The price increase may simply be to discourage more people from sitting in an increasingly long queue.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
By the way it now went up to £398.99 not sure if there are i*** buying at a higher price however it looks quite ridiculous obviously a smart person would not pay more for something which he knows is paying more than market / equilibrium price. **** too bumped it up but less than here though.

As both are playing I will just wait for it to be available on ****** - Sold by ****** and get it there when it comes out as they sell recommended price or maybe a couple of quid more, but nearly £400 it is a utter joke shame as I wanted to buy somewhere "local" more than ******.

Agreed, I just look for the cheapest "reputable" place that sells whatever part I'm after, I have no retailer loyalty as they all try to screw as much money as they can out of you.

There's a distinct lack of willpower amongst shoppers in general today, probably due to the availability of easy credit which makes it easy to give into temptation to purchase at artificially inflated costs.

I live by simple rules - On any item that is a "want" and not a "need" then I set my own value amount for said item/s and if the price doesn't meet that, then I won't buy until it does, and if it doesn't I go without. I also never spend on credit on a "want", i will only spend what I physically have.

p.s. I'd remove those competitors from your post chap, it's against forum rules

ljt

ljt

Soldato
The price increase may simply be to discourage more people from sitting in an increasingly long queue.

Thats what retailers say they do it for, but it's just another fiddle/con. A retailer should either leave pre-orders at the RRP, and wait until they can buy their stock to fulfil at that price, or list as out of stock and take no further orders until they can get the stock on the shelves.

Raising the price on pre orders means they'll get extra money by fleecing the odd few buyers who are too weak to resist and order at the inflated price

Associate
When you're running a business with fairly tight margins, coupled with the level of crap/sense of entitlement you have to deal with when selling products online (returns, ordering the wrong product then expect the retailer to fix it, free postage for members, etc etc), it would be irresponsible to leave money on the table.

OCUK took a lot of pre-orders at near enough RRP - one of the few retailers that did - so cut them some slack here, imo.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Anyone who was eager to place a pre-order with OCUK at the RRP had about 10 days to do so. If you are happy to wait until the shortages end, the prices will come back down when stock is plentiful, so I don’t see the problem.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
When you're running a business with fairly tight margins, coupled with the level of crap/sense of entitlement you have to deal with when selling products online (returns, ordering the wrong product then expect the retailer to fix it, free postage for members, etc etc), it would be irresponsible to leave money on the table.

OCUK took a lot of pre-orders at near enough RRP - one of the few retailers that did - so cut them some slack here, imo.

I wasn't singling out OcUK, the same applies to most if not all retailers, and those further back in the supply chain forcing these kind of practices down to the end consumer level.

I appreciate retailers can handle the situation how they like, but it doesn't mean I have to agree/accept or feed the practice though.

Pretty much. If you want to point any fingers, point them at Intel on this one...

The problem I have with Intel is a whole different story which I won't go into now, but I agree their paper launch of the 8 series has caused the initial stock shortage.

Soldato
is it worth upgrading from 4770K yet or waiting for the Die Shrink next year?

Depends on several things, what graphics card you have, what games you play at what resolutions and at what refresh rates, and then there is the question are your struggling to play the games you have now? I assume it's for gaming since 95% of the queries normally are, if not then sorry! :)

Associate
Depends on what games you are upgrading for and what refresh rate your monitor is!

If I were in your situation,I would wait for 10NM as apparently Intel has 8C/16T. If that means the Core i5 has 8C/8T then happy days!! :p
From the research I've done, there isn't meant to be a huge performance gain for these upcoming 10nm mainstream desktop CPUs. Although power draw should go down alongside heat.

And as we already known, not many games properly make use of extra cores.

https://newsroom.intel.com/newsroom.../2017/03/Kaizad-Mistry-2017-Manufacturing.pdf - relevant graph on page 29

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel...ke-icelake-tigerlake-sapphire-rapids.1945886/

Associate
It's mostly gaming and some light photoshop for that machine with a 1080GTX. Looking at that video it doesn't seem worth it versus waiting for the 10nm.

I guess its a bang for buck issue. 10nm is new versus having a ++

Associate
It's mostly gaming and some light photoshop for that machine with a 1080GTX. Looking at that video it doesn't seem worth it versus waiting for the 10nm.

I guess its a bang for buck issue. 10nm is new versus having a ++
If you look at the graph on page 29 of that press release I posted above, Intel themselves say than 10nm will be roughly equal in performance to 14nm++. Only for 10nm+ will it surpass existing performance.

Soldato
From the research I've done, there isn't meant to be a huge performance gain going to 10nm. Only for 10nm+ (first refinement stage) will it catch up and surpass 14nm++.

And as we already known, not many games properly make use of cores.

https://newsroom.intel.com/newsroom.../2017/03/Kaizad-Mistry-2017-Manufacturing.pdf - graph on page 29

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel...ke-icelake-tigerlake-sapphire-rapids.1945886/

Its more the case,the if the current gen i7 is 6C/12T and the Core i5 is 6C,it means 10NM will probably have a 8C/16T Core i7 and a 8C/8T Core i5. Also from what I read its also a possibility that since Cannonlake was delayed,we might even see Icelake being the proper desktop release just like with Skylake following after Broadwell due to 14NM issues.

Games tend to scale better with cores than HT,and the consoles have 8 cores. Now consider that at the very least,Z390/Z470 will probably support CPUs for a bit longer than Z370.

The other question is whether PCI-E 4.0,etc will debut on the newer platforms.

I am not denying CFL Core i7 is the best gaming CPU out there,but its even the same with AMD,if you have something solid now,its probably worth waiting even for AMD 7NM on their side too.

Plus the other aspect is even if 10NM is not so hot,there will be EOL deals on the current CPUs,and you will probably be on a newer chipset too in another year to year and a half.

Associate
Its more the case,the if the current gen i7 is 6C/12T and the Core i5 is 6C,it means 10NM will probably have a 8C/16T Core i7 and a 8C/8T Core i5.

Games tend to scale better with cores than HT,and the consoles have 8 cores. Now consider that at the very least,Z390/Z470 will probably support CPUs for a bit longer than Z370.

The other question is whether PCI-E 4.0,etc will debut on the newer platforms.

I am not denying CFL Core i7 is the best gaming CPU out there,but its even the same with AMD,if you have something solid now,its probably worth waiting even for AMD 7NM on their side too.

Plus the other aspect is even if 10NM is not so hot,there will be EOL deals on the current CPUs,and you will probably be on a newer chipset too in another year to year and a half.
I'm slightly confused on what Intel is doing with their release cycles. If it releases earlier, then they really are mildly screwing over people with Kabylake and Coffee-lake, especially as it requires a new motherboard. In that second link I posted, the writer speculates that Icelake will release in Q4 2018 - that's a long time for wait for a CPU which might potentially just save power and create less heat. But at the same time they say:

There is very likely to be a long overdue IPC increase of 5-10%~ due to 10nm woes they had to delay Icelake(apparently)

Which is different to the graph data on that Intel press release. So does that mean the IPC increase is up to 10%, but somehow performance is the same (according to Intel?).

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just slightly confused on what Intel is doing with their release cycles. In that second link I posted, the writer speculates that Icelake will release in Q4 2018 - that's a long time for wait for a CPU which might potentially just save power and create less heat. But at the same time they say:

Which is different to the graph data on that Intel press release.

Its because like with 14NM,10NM was delayed for larger chips:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/intel-cannon-lake-2017/1/

10NM was meant to be launched for release in 2015,then 2017 and now probably 2018/2019. At the very least 10NM should increase density and improve power consumption.

You could see this with Broadwell for desktop - it was released for thin and light laptops "on time" but most of the release was far more delayed. Within a short period Skylake replaced it. AFAIK,Intel should have been on 10NM now,so CFL is a stop-gap(!),so Icelake out on desktop soon after Cannonlake(or even Intel bypassing it for desktop) won't surprise me one bit. Plus with AMD actually competing for once,I am sure Intel will want to make sure they up IPC as much as possible.

But even then the other factor is the Z390,if Intel releases that for the current socket and it works better for 10NM,that is also something useful. I wish Intel would clarify what Z370 and Z390 has in terms of CPU support.

All I can say its been one heck of a year so far for desktop CPUs!! Five different launches in just over a year - Kabylake,Ryzen,X299,TR and CFL.

Associate
Its because like with 14NM,10NM was delayed for larger chips:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/intel-cannon-lake-2017/1/

10NM was meant to be launched for release in 2015,then 2017 and now probably 2018/2019. At the very least 10NM should increase density and improve power consumption.

You could see this with Broadwell for desktop - it was released for thin and light laptops "on time" but most of the release was far more delayed. Within a short period Skylake replaced it. AFAIK,Intel should have been on 10NM now,so CFL is a stop-gap(!),so Icelake out on desktop soon after Cannonlake(or even Intel bypassing it for desktop) won't surprise me one bit. Plus with AMD actually competing for once,I am sure Intel will want to make sure they up IPC as much as possible.

But even then the other factor is the Z390,if Intel releases that for the current socket and it works better for 10NM,that is also something useful. I wish Intel would clarify what Z370 and Z390 has in terms of CPU support.

All I can say its been one heck of a year so far for desktop CPUs!! Five different launches in just over a year - Kabylake,Ryzen,X299,TR and CFL.
I guess whatever the outcome, it seems that if performance is actually the same as reported from those 2 sources, Coffee-Lake owners have by no means made a bad choice with their purchases. Which is something many were concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom