• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
I guess it still comes down to longevity to CPU and Motherboard. This is the end of the line for this series where new MB and CPU architecture is better bang for buck...

Soldato
I guess whatever the outcome, it seems that if performance is actually the same as reported from those 2 sources, Coffee-Lake owners have by no means made a bad choice with their purchases. Which is something many were concerned about.

The issue is the person asking already has a Core i7 4770k,and their are advantages for them to wait due to the better platform Z390/Z470 will bring and the fact instead of a £350 to £400 Core i7 8700,a lower cost Core i5 might have more cores and do the same job or better,and I am a bit put off about how long Z370 will be around. OTH,you said you have an IB Core i5 and play BF1 MP,so in that sense a CFL Core i7 would do well very for you,although maybe an i5 8400/Ryzen 5 1600 would be enough too.

Associate
Thats what retailers say they do it for, but it's just another fiddle/con. A retailer should either leave pre-orders at the RRP, and wait until they can buy their stock to fulfil at that price, or list as out of stock and take no further orders until they can get the stock on the shelves.
Raising the price on pre orders means they'll get extra money by fleecing the odd few buyers who are too weak to resist and order at the inflated price
There is no fiddle, con or fleecing going on here as it's mere opportunism which is not the same thing.
Why do I say that? Because it's all above board and transparent, no smoke and mirrors.
Economics 101 covers Supply and Demand which is why prices are higher and the same goes for many GPUs for the same general reason.
It's not a fun thing to get caught up in but consumer CPUs are luxury items so it's not a big deal and not as as if we are talking about drug companies artificially raising prices of drugs that peoples' lives depend on.
Maybe another perspective might calm your language down.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
There is no fiddle, con or fleecing going on here as it's mere opportunism which is not the same thing.
Why do I say that? Because it's all above board and transparent, no smoke and mirrors.
Economics 101 covers Supply and Demand which is why prices are higher and the same goes for many GPUs for the same general reason.
It's not a fun thing to get caught up in but consumer CPUs are luxury items so it's not a big deal and not as as if we are talking about drug companies artificially raising prices of drugs that peoples' lives depend on.
Maybe another perspective might calm your language down.

With all due respect, I don't care that it's "economics 101"

I never compared upping the pre-order price of a CPU with raising prices of drugs that save lives etc, that is a whole other level of wrong, but nevertheless bears no relevance to what I previously said.

What I'm getting at is that it's anti-consumer, and I dislike anything anti-consumer, whether its "above board" or the "rules" of supply and demand it makes no difference to me. To add insult to injury the places that take money up front for pre orders could be sitting with someones hard earned cash for a fairly long while gaining interest on it too.

Associate
What I'm getting at is that it's anti-consumer, and I dislike anything anti-consumer, whether its "above board" or the "rules" of supply and demand it makes no difference to me. To add insult to injury the places that take money up front for pre orders could be sitting with someones hard earned cash for a fairly long while gaining interest on it too.
It's just a non essential consumer product many of which will probably just be used by people playing games so not exactly important.
It reminds me of parents whinging because the must have toy of the Christmas season is hard to find and poor little Johnny will go without unless dad pays though the nose.
If people choose to use retailers that take the money up front when they have no stock that's their look out.
I blame the people who are desperate or stupid enough to pay up front and over the odds.
They are the ones that are keeping this game alive and that's all it is, a game of capitalism.

Associate
i ordered another 8700k that had it in stock........... but after seeing that video between the 2600k and 8700k, it's put me off a little. I might just buy a used 2600k if I can find one :confused:

The video is using a 1070, and the conclusion for the video should be saying there is no point upgrading your CPU if you are bottlenecked by the GPU / can't use the extra frames / don't need the extra platform features (NVME etc)

Associate
Waiting for price drop.

Hopefully by the end of the month once stock starts coming in more reliable... there is quite a lot available right now between £420 - £480 and doesn't look like they selling well.

My hope is that those these retailers preying on those willing to pay upto +£100 on them, all have them by now and purchases will slow down until they become more reasonably priced as they should be.

Associate
Ignore that one video and find some other ones, the difference is massive, your comparing a Jan 2011 chip to a October 2017 chip - it's going to be.
well, i currently have an i5 2500k so i dont know if I should save my money and wait for Z390.

The video is using a 1070, and the conclusion for the video should be saying there is no point upgrading your CPU if you are bottlenecked by the GPU / can't use the extra frames / don't need the extra platform features (NVME etc)
i currently have a zotac gtx 980 amp extreme edition at 1080p with an i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.3ghz, games run fine and i have no problem. i might just get a 1080p 144hz monitor for the meantime so i can get that high refresh rate experience.

I went from a 4930k at 4.2 to 8700k at 5.0 games like borderlands 2 runs smooth for once!
at what resolution are you playing on?

Associate
i currently have a zotac gtx 980 amp extreme edition at 1080p with an i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.3ghz, games run fine and i have no problem. i might just get a 1080p 144hz monitor for the meantime so i can get that high refresh rate experience.

I'm not saying they won't and that's one of the scenarios that fits into that (1080p60fps). For 144hz in some games you may find you'll need a better CPU to sustain that framerate.

Associate
i ordered another 8700k that had it in stock........... but after seeing that video between the 2600k and 8700k, it's put me off a little. I might just buy a used 2600k if I can find one :confused:

!
People don't need to upgrade unless you want 15 FPS Boost or you want to Render Videos or music super fast ! If you don't need this then you don't need to upgrade but if you want a CPU that will last you well over 4 years then you can't go wrong with i7 8700k

Associate
Raw FPS figures are not everything.

I've played PUBG on a GTX1080 with an i5-4670K, i7-4790K and i7-8700K. I lock the game to 60fps using vsync. Under all configurations my system could achieve stable 60fps.

However, the SMOOTHNESS, is vastly different. Each upgrade was very very noticeable. With the i5 it felt like playing at 25 fps with input lag. 4790K was smooth and I was very happy with the upgrade. I wasn't expecting much more improvement from the 8700K, but in reality it is very very noticeable again.

Games run like absolute butter, despite showing the same FPS. My general PC is also far more responsive in general due to the 6 cores. Not to mention the general improvements of a newer platform: DDR4 RAM, M.2, USB 3.1 gen 2 etc.

An upgrade from the 4790K certainly boils down to a luxury upgrade. From a 2600K it is a major upgrade.

Edit: this is at 1440p res

Last edited:
Associate

I've played PUBG on a GTX1080 with an i5-4670K, i7-4790K and i7-8700K. I lock the game to 60fps using vsync. Under all configurations my system could achieve stable 60fps.

However, the SMOOTHNESS, is vastly different. Each upgrade was very very noticeable. With the i5 it felt like playing at 25 fps with input lag. 4790K was smooth and I was very happy with the upgrade. I wasn't expecting much more improvement from the 8700K, but in reality it is very very noticeable again.

Games run like absolute butter, despite showing the same FPS. My general PC is also far more responsive in general due to the 6 cores. Not to mention the general improvements of a newer platform: DDR4 RAM, M.2, USB 3.1 gen 2 etc.

An upgrade from the 4790K certainly boils down to a luxury upgrade. From a 2600K it is a major upgrade.

Using it in your own environment day to day is the only way to really know. These sort of experiences are 100 times more informative than a review.

Associate

The 8700k is probably keeping frame-times within the 16.16ms limit much consistently than the others. You can monitor it with MSI Afterburner

Back
Top Bottom