• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Associate
Depends, from what? the gains from a 4790K are not great and almost nothing from a 6700K.

From a 2600K, yes sure thats going to be a huge win for them, but a Ryzen 5 1600 will also net them a huge performance win and for £150 less than the 7700K, someone like that would also not regret upgrading to a Ryzen 1600, even the 1700 is still a lot cheaper and often a lot faster than the 7700K.

All referrals are from the 7700K.

Caporegime
Intel doesn't want to borrow from the Skylake-X architecture with the 6 core CoffeeLake because the performance on the 6 core 7800K vs the Ryzen 1600 is (when both are overclocked at least) 9 times out of 10 the same, and sometimes even...........

gdhg.png

Associate
Yeah I'm really eager to see the 7800X and 8700K compared! Right now it appears that the former has the advantage in PCI-E lanes, mesh* and cache* (*for workstations) and the former the advantages in frequency and IPC (and L3 cache for games etc.). Both target different segments, but still I'm curious.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Here is first CPU-Z screenshot of 6C/12T Coffee Lake 8700K:

DudTsDR.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6op6gj/intel_8th_gen_coffee_lake_6c12t_es_cpuz/
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-coffee-lake-core-6-core-cpu-z-screenshot-leaks-out

Look like 8700K will have 3.7GHz base and 4.3GHz boost, very interesting thing about it has 80W TDP, not 95W TDP. Much closer to my old 22nm Ivy Bridge's 3770K 77W TDP. :D It will probably faster than 7700K at 4.3GHz and used less power consumption.

They have sacrificed clock speed to do that though.

7700K 4.2/4.5 - 91W
8700K 3.7/4.3 - 80W

I wonder if they are just taking the angle that it is better to show a lower stock TDP knowing that everyone will overclock anyway.

Soldato

DudTsDR.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6op6gj/intel_8th_gen_coffee_lake_6c12t_es_cpuz/
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-coffee-lake-core-6-core-cpu-z-screenshot-leaks-out

Look like 8700K will have 3.7GHz base and 4.3GHz boost, very interesting thing about it has 80W TDP, not 95W TDP. Much closer to my old 22nm Ivy Bridge's 3770K 77W TDP. :D It will probably faster than 7700K at 4.3GHz and used less power consumption.
As muon said, the TDP drop is due to drop in clock speed, although the fact they've done that with an extra two cores is pretty impressive. However, bear in mind the Skylake-X CPUs use more than their TDP even without overclocking so we'll have to wait until proper tests are done to judge power consumption. It'll be faster than an i7-7700K in multithreaded applications obviously but I doubt it'll be any faster at the same clock speed in single threaded applications.

Soldato
Is the TDP figures representing the base clock or boost?
No-one really knows what TDP means these days. In theory it's meant to be the maximum thermal output of the CPU, i.e. it'll boost until it starts producing that amount of heat, and then throttle back to base clock and get to some equilibrium. From what I remember, Skylake-X doesn't actually do that and a number of GPUs didn't/don't do it either (even without overclocking).

Permabanned
Was just wondering if they factored in the 80w TDP at the 3.5 base as opposed to the 4.3 boost. Is the 4.3 boost on all cores or only 2? I'm sure someone said it was 4.1 on all cores.

Associate
CPU-Z is obviously reading a few things incorrectly, including the clock speed of 3.5 and the TDP (it's 95W, not 80W; don't take these things at face value in the ES phase). Even the article states it and I have to agree to an alternative answer; this is not the 8700K, maybe the 8700?

The data reveals LGA1151 socket support and TDP of 80W. The engineering sample has a base clock of 3.5 GHz with a maximum multiplier of 43. It may all just be a wrong reading by CPU-Z utility or early engineering sample which may not necessarily represent the final product. However it’s yet another proof that Intel’s 8th generation series will feature 6-core processor.

Earlier rumors from CPC Hardware suggested that Core i7-8700K would feature 3.7 GHz base frequency, while i5-8600 a clock of 3.6 GHz. This sample is likely a different SKU.

Confirmation it's not the 8700K (let us all rejoice!):

Coffee Lake-S 6C/12T engineer sample @ CPU-Z

SsnPhrm.png

Very similar to a previous SiSoftware entry.

Ps: Core i7-8700K is clocked higher.

Last edited:
Caporegime

DudTsDR.png

The biggest joke about TDP right now is that Intel gave their 7900X a 140 watt TDP, reviews clearly show its a 230 watt chip, TDP is meaningless, other than Intel these days seem to see it as a form of false advertising they can get away with.

People really need to wise up to what TDP actually is :)

Soldato
In theory it's meant to be the maximum thermal output of the CPU
It was that up to Pentium 4.
Then with AMD having about completely superior architecture (Jim Keller as one of the designers) Intel was forced to overclock those lousy IPC NetBurst CPUs past reasonably achievable clock speeds.
So Intel started taking "liberal" approach to meaning of TDP.
I think worst models took up 150W under full load and few of them something like 70W at idle doing nothing...
Which was actually over what chronically undersized stock cooler was capable to cooling.

When Intel finally got out Core 2 it turned the tables and AMD was forced to more and more overclock CPUs past optimum for high end models.
Again with questionable official TDP.
And now Intel is having way too much clockspeed for that many cores in 7900X...

Soldato
If this is socket 1151 then which legacy Motherboards support the chip. Z270? Z170?

I hoping this will be the case but knowing intel :rolleyes:

Also i guess if we don't see a bios update for these then that will confirm no support for z170/z270 boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very hard to get excited about Coffelake 6 cores. Exactly the same architecture as my two year old 6700k, just 2 more cores that will go mostly unused, as game developers will keep optimising for dual/quads for many more years to come.

It will take at least 2 years for a significant percentage of the gaming population to own a 6+ core CPU. Until then, expect exactly the same performance in 99% of games, or +/- 1-3% performance difference.

Icelake is the next exciting CPU from Intel, a completely new architecture with IPC increases :)

Note that the above is talking from purely a gaming perspective, which is the most popular use of these CPU's.

Soldato
OP
CPU-Z is obviously reading a few things incorrectly, including the clock speed of 3.5 and the TDP (it's 95W, not 80W; don't take these things at face value in the ES phase). Even the article states it and I have to agree to an alternative answer; this is not the 8700K, maybe the 8700?

Confirmation it's not the 8700K (let us all rejoice!):

Well look like you and Sweeper are both wrong claimed CPU-Z screenshot is not the 8700K and you are corrected CPU-Z reading TDP incorrectly but did reading clock speed and stepping or revision correctly.

9rief2V.jpg

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-6-core-cpu-specifications-details-leak/

Wccftech obtained Coffee Lake spec sheet showed 3 CPUs used stepping U0, 4.3GHz is the max boost clock and 95W TPD in first column confirmed CPU-Z screenshot is the 8700K but not for all cores, 4.3GHz boost 1 core, 4.2GHz boost 2 cores, 4GHz boost 4 and 6 cores. 2nd column with 3.6GHz max 1 core boost and 95W TPD could be 8700T and 3rd column with 4.2GHz max 1 core boost and 65W TPD could be 8700.

So 8700K with all 6 cores will have same 4GHz boost clock as Skylake X 7800X.

Associate
Well look like you and Sweeper are both wrong claimed CPU-Z screenshot is not the 8700K and you are corrected CPU-Z reading TDP incorrectly but did reading clock speed and stepping or revision correctly.

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-6-core-cpu-specifications-details-leak/

Wccftech obtained Coffee Lake spec sheet showed 3 CPUs used stepping U0, 4.3GHz is the max boost clock and 95W TPD in first column confirmed CPU-Z screenshot is the 8700K but not for all cores, 4.3GHz boost 1 core, 4.2GHz boost 2 cores, 4GHz boost 4 and 6 cores. 2nd column with 3.6GHz max 1 core boost and 95W TPD could be 8700T and 3rd column with 4.2GHz max 1 core boost and 65W TPD could be 8700.

So 8700K with all 6 cores will have same 4GHz boost clock as Skylake X 7800X.

For now I still stand by what I said. The cautious reader of that article would a) recognise the site itself is a tabloid site (I often use it but take it with salt) and b) the article contains a few mistakes. For example; the Z390 board won't launch until next year, it's Z370 that launches alongside the first CFL batches this year, and c) the SKU naming codes are conveniently cut off, which I find suspect.

In addition, WCCFTech has someone giving them only small pieces of the puzzle, whereas Sweepr has the complete picture already at hand; he is a source and WCCFTech is not. Which I find more believable? Sweepr without a doubt.

Last edited:
Associate
Update: like I said, WCCFTech is incorrect once again.

While the document looks legit (I know where WCCFTech got it from) it most likely refers to earlier engineer samples. The info I have is from qualification samples (closer to retail) and clocks are higher than that.

Qualification samples are generally the "final" parts being tested for qualification for sale. So if you have QS info, those are the final clocks.

Back
Top Bottom