• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
Anyone else think this is really rubbish if true

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-8700k-benchmarks.html

Can't even beat a 1600x in multi threaded stuff and in single threaded stuff it isn't even that great considering it is supposed to boost to 4.7ghz!

There is something wrong with the cooling in that omen pc he was using meaning it wasn't turbo boosting to 4.3ghz all core or 4.7ghz one core.....or it is a bit of a lame duck.

I will be honest, I was expecting this to be getting over 200 for the single thread score and pushing 1500 in multi..

<tinfoil hat on>
I am baffled also. 7800X has around 1340 on Multithread cinebench, with 193 single core, and that using Mesh topology, which is RAM speed depended. (like the Ryzen).

Actually the poor MP perf could be explained if the 8700K doesn't use Ring topology but Mesh topology. Which I know writing that seems stupid, but we didn't had a concrete information about using Ring from Intel yet. Only rumours.

If that's the case, then is pointless CPU on a pointless dead end platform. X299 is better deal, since it has upgrade paths and next gen CPU to it (CoffeeLake-X) next year.

Otherwise, Ryzen and wait next year for the higher clocked node.

(Also if it is using Mesh, could explain why Gigabyte are advertising their Z370s having quad channel ram? lol!!!!!)
<tinfoil hat off>

Last edited:
Soldato
Segfaults occur under load, booting from cold is hardly that. My system is solid apart from cold boots, its a well known bug and I wish people would stop telling me otherwise. Asus and AMD are aware and thus far dont have a fix, the only way I can ensure it doesn't happen is to boot at <3200mhz ram.
3466 CL14 is 4000% HCI stable yet it cannot successfully boot from it every time. Warm boots and restarts are fine, cold boots after a >12hr powerdown is completely random.

I will be testing for segfaults later using the "kill-ryzen.sh"

Of course segfaults occur under load, i didn't say that they didn't. Segfaults happen if a prog has used all the available ram in a stack and can't temp offload what's in memory or part of what's in memory. But a segfault can just as easily happen if part of the expected ram allocation suddenly becomes unavailable, the most common reason for that is dodgy ram or intermittent ram. Add that to your booting issues................................see where i'm coming from ?

Soldato
Of course segfaults occur under load, i didn't say that they didn't. Segfaults happen if a prog has used all the available ram in a stack and can't temp offload what's in memory or part of what's in memory. But a segfault can just as easily happen if part of the expected ram allocation suddenly becomes unavailable, the most common reason for that is dodgy ram or intermittent ram. Add that to your booting issues................................see where i'm coming from ?

Ram is perfectly fine, as stated. Once running the system is stable, 4000% HCI stable and many hours on OCCT avx stable.
Just googling shows I am not the only one, infact there are many people at overclock.net with the same.

This shows it better than I can explain
http://i.imgur.com/xstb9Bl.png

Soldato
Ram is perfectly fine, as stated. Once running the system is stable, 4000% HCI stable and many hours on OCCT avx stable.
Just googling shows I am not the only one, infact there are many people at overclock.net with the same.

I doubt your running it under LN2 24/7, but reading the image, i have to ask if you have it set to LN2 mode 24/7 ?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've never RMA'd with intel but from what I've read its just a case of putting your serial number in and clicking an icon on a webpage and sending your CPU and HSF to them.

It is.

Then they send you an email with all the questions then send your faulty cpu back so you end up doing a charge-back on your credit card :D:D:D:D

Associate

Can't even beat a 1600x in multi threaded stuff and in single threaded stuff it isn't even that great considering it is supposed to boost to 4.7ghz!

Either there is something wrong with the cooling in that omen pc he was using meaning it wasn't turbo boosting to 4.3ghz all core or 4.7ghz one core.....or it is a bit of a lame duck.

I will be honest, I was expecting this to be getting over 200 for the single thread score and pushing 1500 in multi..

Seems pretty unlikely to be correct.

We won't know for sure for a few more weeks, but the scaling doesn't really add up. It should be expected to be in the ballpark of 50-55% faster than a 6700k in multi-threaded tasks. So in-between an i7 5960x and an R7 1700.

If it does turn out to use the new MESH interconnect though, it'll basically be DOA.

Soldato
OP

Either there is something wrong with the cooling in that omen pc he was using meaning it wasn't turbo boosting to 4.3ghz all core or 4.7ghz one core.....or it is a bit of a lame duck.

I watched Karl Morin youtube video and noticed he ran old versions of Cinebench R15 and CPU-Z, he should never run other programs while running Cinebench R15 benchmark because it will affect scores so that why it had bad scores and also he should used latest versions, not the old versions.

Accorded to Ryan Strout:

cdh5x4v.jpg

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/907280680207503361

So take Karl Morin's early 8700K scores with a grain of salt.

Soldato

I don't own a Ryzen rig but aren't you describing the DRAM boot voltage issue? Some boards have a boot voltage setting which eliminates the issue, and iirc it's worse on Hynix RAM. Is your GSkill memory Hynix? Do you have any options for boot voltage (DRAM) in your UEFI? Worth a look.

Soldato
I don't own a Ryzen rig but aren't you describing the DRAM boot voltage issue? Some boards have a boot voltage setting which eliminates the issue, and iirc it's worse on Hynix RAM. Is your GSkill memory Hynix? Do you have any options for boot voltage (DRAM) in your UEFI? Worth a look.

Done all that crap already. Ram is gskill 4266 Samsung bdie. It's not a setup fault, Asus and and have acknowledged this is an issue, the recommendation was to run memory below 3200.

Associate
Done all that crap already. Ram is gskill 4266 Samsung bdie. It's not a setup fault, Asus and and have acknowledged this is an issue, the recommendation was to run memory below 3200.

That's not what you have paid for, Asus technical helpline is sheet. I ma still waiting for reply to my issue with CPU being locked to 1,5Ghz when using manual voltage. Do we have Asus rep on OCuk?

Soldato
This is off topic in this thread, suggest you use the Ryzen thread, but 3200 ram is good and is an OC on the ram for Ryzen (>2666). It is what you have paid for. The fact that it will not run on your system at speeds above this and you are running 4266 ram is not the responsibility of AMD. IMO. 3200 C14 on mine is fine.

As for the bios issue with manual voltage, I would suggest that is ASUS though.

Soldato
Looking forward to some more benchmarks because there is very clearly something off with these...

I have an 1800x before anyone starts moaning about Ryzen this and that.

Soldato
Looking forward to some more benchmarks because there is very clearly something off with these...

I have an 1800x before anyone starts moaning about Ryzen this and that.

That result booms linked looks like the ones Ryan Strout already said is wrong.
Also waiting for results until its released and we get proper reviews i dont see the point in writing it off

Back
Top Bottom