• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
Intel to Launch Multiple Six-core CPUs on Coffee Lake Architecture, i5 Lineup

In what could be a decisive response from Intel towards AMD's recent Ryzen success and core count democratization, reports are making the rounds that Intel is preparing for a shakedown of sorts of its i7 and i5 CPU line-up under the upcoming Coffee Lake architecture. We recently saw (and continue to see) AMD deliver much more interesting propositions than Intel in a pure power/performance/core ratio. And Intel seems to know that its lineup is in dire need of revision, if it wants to stop its market dominant position from bleeding too much.

A report from Canard PC claims that Intel will thoroughly revise its CPU lineup for the Coffee Lake architecture, with an i7-8700K six-core, 12-thread processor being the top offering. This 8700K is reported to deliver its 12 threads at a 3.7 GHz base clock, and a 95 W TDP. These are comparable to AMD's Ryzen 5 1600X processor, which ships with the same six cores and 12 threads under the same TDP, though it has 100 MHz less in base clock speed. However, AMD's Ryzen 5 1600X does retail for about $249 - and you can go even lower to Ryzen 5 1600's $219 - which probably won't happen with Intel's top of the line i7 offering. A slight mention towards the Ryzen 7's 95 W TDP - the same as this reported i7 8700K - even though it has 2 more physical cores, and 4 extra threads.

[https://tpucdn.com/img/IDiuMc1YRRDKsN18_thm.jpg[/IMG]
The more interesting part of the report, though, is that Intel may be looking to basically dominate its entire i5 line-up with 6-core offerings, from the i5-8600K, towards the (usually lowly) 8400 processor. The main differentiating factor between the i5 and the i7 lineup of 6-core processors would be support for HyperThreading. The i5-8600K processor is said to be clocked at 3.6 GHz with the same TDP as the i7-8700K (95 W), while the i5-8400 would bring about a 2.8 GHz base clock and a 65 W TDP. This lends itself to a natural reasoning regarding the rest of Intel's lineup. Assuming the report is true, Intel's differentiation could go one of two ways: a further extension of its i5 lineup to lower digits (8300, 8200, and so forth) for its 4-core, 8-thread CPUs and pure quad-core processors for the i3 lineup; or, heaven forbid, quad-core, 8-thread processors being available on the top of Intel's i3 product stack. Personally, this editor doesn't see that happening. At least not yet.

The report also goes on to say that Intel is looking to introduce 6-core processors to its mobile lineup as well, although with much lower clock speeds (reportedly around the 2 GHz mark) to allow for the lower TDP platform requirements (at 45 W.) There's also mention of a 28 W quad-core mobile (U) processor.Sources: CPC Hardware, via Videocardz

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
They could have pushed for at least 4ghz base with a little higher TDP :(

@Radeon85 Relax old friend, these are ES only so clocks may change, and keep remembering the leak I posted showing the HT part @ 4.20GHz stock boost (see spoiler) ;) Ultimately the base/boost clocks doesn't matter to overclockers anyway.

-- What are you playing these days Rad?

4gn9xy.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel moving i5s to six cores and i3s to four cores would be best CPU news of decade!
That should get game developers more interested in optimizing multithreading of PC games.

Doesn't sound like any kind of shakedown or shakeup to me :s (aside from what they are doing to consumers).
Well, they needed to think something to shake money loose from wallets of people...

They could have pushed for at least 4ghz base with a little higher TDP :(
Intel might not be willing to rise requirement for CPU VRMs on motherboards.
Then again also 7700K exceeds its TDP under full load:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-10.html

Associate
It's about bloody time 4 cores became the minimum if they do it. Having 4 cores as the top of the range on the mainstream platform for over 10yrs is more than long enough now.

Still playing the same games @TheF34RChannel. Though division is still taking up most of my time 2400hrs and increasing :D

Associate
It's about bloody time 4 cores became the minimum if they do it. Having 4 cores as the top of the range on the mainstream platform for over 10yrs is more than long enough now.

Still playing the same games @TheF34RChannel. Though division is still taking up most of my time 2400hrs and increasing :D

There're still be dual cores, though I think they've become to slow nowadays to be useful, even for granny's notebook. Ideally my plan is loosely this: Coffee Lake-S 6/12 > Tiger Lake-S 8/16 (just because) > Sapphire Rapid-S (if this is the new revolutionary design that brings actual benefits for my usage, and not least, if SHR won't be server only. If it is then replace the name with whatever comes directly after TGL-S or the optimization that comes after that).

Ha ha ha good for you mate :) I can't do any more Div, just has me pulling hair out with the constant changes and no new content. I'm in between games at the moment, scratching my head thinking what to do next.

Nice to hear more leaks, but now we need a release date. September seems good :)

Yeah...I'll reckon mobile next month and the first desktop parts October at the earliest - mind you, that's when the boards are supposed to launch as well.

Soldato
6c/6t Core i5s are an improvement but are they really a great option when the R5 1600 exists? I find it hard to believe they'll be any cheaper than that, and it looks like they're going to use more power too. How useful they'll be depends on how high they clock I guess.

Associate
According to the original article this should be the top part of the line up:

Core i7-8700K 6C/12T 3.7 GHz base, 12MB L3, 95W
Core i7-8700 6C/12T 3.2 GHz base, 12MB L3, 65W
Core i5-8600K 6C/6T 3.6 GHz base, 9MB L3, 95W
Core i5-8400 6C/6T 2.8 GHz base, 9MB L3, 65W
Core i3 gets 4C/4T

Canard PC Hardware says Coffee Lake is compatible with 200-series and some 100-series motherboards. Up until late June I heard it would be 300-series only, but great news if true.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/886940741599145984

Thanks Sweepr!

Pers. comm. I doubt it will work with anything other than the 300 series.

Soldato
According to the original article this should be the top part of the line up:

Core i7-8700K 6C/12T 3.7 GHz base, 12MB L3, 95W
Core i7-8700 6C/12T 3.2 GHz base, 12MB L3, 65W
Core i5-8600K 6C/6T 3.6 GHz base, 9MB L3, 95W
Core i5-8400 6C/6T 2.8 GHz base, 9MB L3, 65W
Core i3 gets 4C/4T

Thanks Sweepr!

Pers. comm. I doubt it will work with anything other than the 300 series.

There must be some 4C/8T chips somewhere.

Maybe some lower end i7 chips, 4C/8T and clocked really high.

Soldato
At least we are shifting away from quad CPU's in the mainstream now.

IMO the only place for a dual core these days is in a NAS, or in a cheaper tablet/netbook/laptop or something, which is fine for lighter use mostly.

Associate
I've pretty much always been an Intel fan and stuck mostly with Intel over 20 years of PC building, but AMD have really outdone themselves now and will certainly get more market share of the CPU market.

Looking forward to the new Intel chips, but unless they change their pricing then these new chips will be too expensive to be worth it I think. AMD currently seems far better value for money.

Associate
Intel are still holding back on their L3 even though AMD can give us more. This must be killing them to see AMD do so well after their 100mhz upgrade each time there is a new i5, I7 ect.
I still laugh at intel when compare their exon 6134 to a 1800x Ryzen underclocked to 2.2ghz. OK intel lets see how they compair when clocked at stock. And to say they have glued 4 desk top cpu's
togeather, like its a bad thing to have scaling almost 100% with the method they have used. Intel might be running out of new ways to make it look like they have made a faster chip now as they seem to
spit the same crap out every time with a slight speed increase. But not more OC headroom that gets less every time as we know the 3rd gen could hit 5ghz years ago.
My 6600k is up for swaps with a 1600x if anyone would be stupid enough to part with one :D

Associate
Intel are still holding back on their L3 even though AMD can give us more. This must be killing them to see AMD do so well after their 100mhz upgrade each time there is a new i5, I7 ect.
I still laugh at intel when compare their exon 6134 to a 1800x Ryzen underclocked to 2.2ghz. OK intel lets see how they compair when clocked at stock. And to say they have glued 4 desk top cpu's
togeather, like its a bad thing to have scaling almost 100% with the method they have used. Intel might be running out of new ways to make it look like they have made a faster chip now as they seem to
spit the same crap out every time with a slight speed increase. But not more OC headroom that gets less every time as we know the 3rd gen could hit 5ghz years ago.
My 6600k is up for swaps with a 1600x if anyone would be stupid enough to part with one :D

Listen, fanboy, I have been checking out all of your 94 posts, and most of them are trolling, so I suggest you go play in your beloved AMD thread dreamworlds. There already has been a mod warning in another, similar thread; there is no place for your kind of stuff here - it's sad. Reported.

Associate
A little hands-on information which I can update daily if you like?

How does better than Core i7-7700K's Turbo sound?

And, because you know I have to ask (ha ha); how close is the turbo to the 4.2GHz leak we saw recently and in what respect (better or worse)?
- my question to him.

His reply: Better.

Personally I don't think Core i7-7700K owners will have any 'regrets' if they upgrade. :D

Daily Coffee Lake tease: What if an entry level Core i5 could match the MT performance of the popular Core i7-7700K?

Coffee Lake tidbit of the day: It's a lot harder to pick a favorite from the new lineup than it was in the Kaby Lake generation, where Core i7-7700K is the clear choice for most people. Core i7-8700K is an achievement in its own right and a (very) worthy successor, but Core i5's performance is closer to the fastest SKU than it was before (based on Turbo).

Coffee Lake tidbit of the day: Core i7-8700K offers close to 50% throughput performance increase over its predecessor (based on Turbo).
What he is implying is all core turbo for 6 core CFL will nearly match that of 4 core Kabylake within roughly the same official power envelope. This was not universally expected by all.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depends, from what? the gains from a 4790K are not great and almost nothing from a 6700K.

From a 2600K, yes sure thats going to be a huge win for them, but a Ryzen 5 1600 will also net them a huge performance win and for £150 less than the 7700K, someone like that would also not regret upgrading to a Ryzen 1600, even the 1700 is still a lot cheaper and often a lot faster than the 7700K.

Back
Top Bottom