• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch new flagship Kaby Lake 7740K and 7640K CPUs in March 2017?

Soldato
I'm not sure what's going on here... I didn't think top end 8C Ryzen was going to trouble the 7700K. Given the OC headroom the 7700K has, surely in gaming it will still hold the crown? From all the info that's out there, I don't see Ryzen getting near 5Ghz, and if the extra cores aren't being used (which they won't be in most games), how can it compete... or is IPC a big factor here? Regardless though, won't the 7700K still be quite a bit cheaper? I didn't think for one second Ryzen 8C would be anywhere near the £350 mark (as the 7700K is)??

Associate
I can see there being a problem with all the currently available motherboards not supporting the new chips out the box.

This keeps happening, you'd think Intel (and AMD) and mobo makers could come up with some standard whereby a new-not-yet-supported CPU could POST in some basic mode which doesn't allow much more than updating the BIOS. Or throw some ARM into the chipset which can init USB and flash a BIOS

Man of Honour
+ Selling an I5 for I7 money will definitely go down well.

- I can see there being a problem with all the currently available motherboards not supporting the new chips out the box.

The i5 is already past i7 money though and it's just a joke now. I can remember the 4770k being widely available for £227 after the launch prices (around £270) settled down. I paid £159 for my 4670k and just look at the prices now. That is not all down to brexit either as they were shooting up before that.

Don
This keeps happening, you'd think Intel (and AMD) and mobo makers could come up with some standard whereby a new-not-yet-supported CPU could POST in some basic mode which doesn't allow much more than updating the BIOS. Or throw some ARM into the chipset which can init USB and flash a BIOS

I'm sure there were some boards that could post and BIOS update without a CPU even installed.

Probably didn't get continued due to cost saving :(

edit:
Gigabyte Q-Flash Plus could do it - not sure if current boards have this
http://www.gigabyte.in/MicroSite/372/images/safe.html

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure what's going on here... I didn't think top end 8C Ryzen was going to trouble the 7700K. Given the OC headroom the 7700K has, surely in gaming it will still hold the crown? From all the info that's out there, I don't see Ryzen getting near 5Ghz, and if the extra cores aren't being used (which they won't be in most games), how can it compete... or is IPC a big factor here? Regardless though, won't the 7700K still be quite a bit cheaper? I didn't think for one second Ryzen 8C would be anywhere near the £350 mark (as the 7700K is)??
We don't know how well the 4 or 6 core chips will clock and they are more likely competitors to the i7-7700K.

Soldato

I don't think Intel are worrying. I think they realised that they can just make money by people who don't understand what you have said with the OC etc and will buy something that out the box has faster cpu core.

It is a god way to get attention form media and public without it costing them anything extra and to take momentum away from AMD and make people speculate like in this thread.

Good marketing and business strategy by keeping themselves relevant until they are ready for cannonlake to drop.

Soldato
Well, it's certainly naive to think Intel pulled these 7740K and 7640K CPUs out of their backside in a moment of panic at what AMD might be releasing lol! Clearly this is all part of their strategy, and as Curly says, it's just a way to distract and appear relevant. They certainly aren't bringing anything new or exciting to the table.

The big question that we are yet to have answered is just HOW competitive Ryzen will be exactly. I'm eagerly awaiting to see it go head to head with Skylake.

Soldato
So does Intel know something about Ryzen that we don't, or are they just looking to time a launch - any launch - with it so's AMD don't look like the only people who made something new that month?

Soldato
eddiew;30482502 said:
So does Intel know something about Ryzen that we don't, or are they just looking to time a launch - any launch - with it so's AMD don't look like the only people who made something new that month?

Maybe they know the clock speed, and are just upping the stock clocks to outdo AMD, thus it's a marketing exercise for those people who love numbers. :)

Soldato
Journey;30482902 said:
Maybe they know the clock speed, and are just upping the stock clocks to outdo AMD, thus it's a marketing exercise for those people who love numbers. :)

+100MHz and disabled GPUs smells a lot like the 2550K (2500Ks with failed GPUs that were given a 100MHz bump and a price increase to clear stock).

Soldato
This is pure marketing, nothing more or less, and something they will have been planning for months now. You don't pull a CPU out of thin air in a moment of panic. This has long been in their pipeline, as they obviously knew when Ryzen would be dropping, so they logically planned to release something 'new and shiny' at the same time in order to steel some of AMD's thunder. It's certainly nothing to get excited about though, but probably won't be long before we see the "should I upgrade my 7700k to a 7740k" threads ha! We will laugh, but people will do it, because shiny shiny attracts the stupid stupid every time.

Soldato
pastymuncher;30477095 said:
I dread to think how much this i5 with HT is going to cost. Could we be seeing a i5 that cost's £300?

I would imagine that depends on the competition.

I think it's more likely that they're basically putting out an i7 and calling it an i5, because that's where they expect a mainstream Ryzen Price / Performce to land.

Soldato
If Intel are willing to launch the Pentium G4560 with HT which makes its Core i3 lineup a tad pointless(unless you really need AVX2 and certain virtualisation options),I don't see why they wouldn't replace the Core i5 7600K with an SKU which has HT for a similar price.

Back
Top Bottom