• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch new flagship Kaby Lake 7740K and 7640K CPUs in March 2017?

Caporegime
Legend;30482938 said:
This is pure marketing, nothing more or less, and something they will have been planning for months now. You don't pull a CPU out of thin air in a moment of panic. This has long been in their pipeline, as they obviously knew when Ryzen would be dropping, so they logically planned to release something 'new and shiny' at the same time in order to steel some of AMD's thunder. It's certainly nothing to get excited about though, but probably won't be long before we see the "should I upgrade my 7700k to a 7740k" threads ha! We will laugh, but people will do it, because shiny shiny attracts the stupid stupid every time.

Absolutely no one plans to launch a chip charge their customers through the teeth then bring out a new faster part after like 2 months, ever, this isn't marketing and no you don't pull a CPU out of thin air. It's the same CPU, that at packaging that gets absolutely marginal changes to change the default clock speeds and simply not take the step of disabling HT. This isn't a new CPU, it will be identical with just slightly different targets. The same way you can go into the bios and set the clock speed slightly lower or higher and increase the allowed TDP on literally the same chip, it's just doing that at a lower level.

Imagine how many users spent £240 on a 7600k within the past month only to find out within two months that Intel is happy to sell a 7640k with HT enabled for the same price... I'll give you the answer, it's none. No one plans to sell a 7600k i5 without HT then within two months does a complete u-turn, literally no company on earth is that stupid. it's a month of sales, it costs them nothing, but they get happier customers if the 7600k had HT enabled to begin with.

Soldato
drunkenmaster;30482996 said:
Absolutely no one plans to launch a chip charge their customers through the teeth then bring out a new faster part after like 2 months, ever, this isn't marketing and no you don't pull a CPU out of thin air. It's the same CPU, that at packaging that gets absolutely marginal changes to change the default clock speeds and simply not take the step of disabling HT. This isn't a new CPU, it will be identical with just slightly different targets. The same way you can go into the bios and set the clock speed slightly lower or higher and increase the allowed TDP on literally the same chip, it's just doing that at a lower level.

Imagine how many users spent £240 on a 7600k within the past month only to find out within two months that Intel is happy to sell a 7640k with HT enabled for the same price... I'll give you the answer, it's none. No one plans to sell a 7600k i5 without HT then within two months does a complete u-turn, literally no company on earth is that stupid. it's a month of sales, it costs them nothing, but they get happier customers if the 7600k had HT enabled to begin with.

What do you mean it "isn't marketing"... of course it is lol! This is a very transparent attempt appear relevant, steal PR from AMD and boost sales. Of course it's the same CPU, but you can bet they won't be telling anyone that in their marketing or advertising material! ;)

Caporegime
Legend;30483009 said:
What do you mean it "isn't marketing"... of course it is lol! This is a very transparent attempt appear relevant, steal PR from AMD and boost sales. Of course it's the same CPU, but you can bet they won't be telling anyone that in their marketing or advertising material! ;)

It isn't a marketing plan to release a 7700k for £360 in Jan, a 7600k without HT for £240, then replace both with a higher clocked 7700k and a HT included 7600k within a couple of months is what I meant.

You put marketing and 'planned for months' together and I referred to them as such also.

Of course it's an attempt to steal their thunder, but it's absolutely last minute, it certainly won't have been planned for months, it's a plan that actively angers everyone who bought at launch only to have them be replaced within 2 months, the non HT to HT including i5 being particularly bad.

Soldato
drunkenmaster;30483165 said:
It isn't a marketing plan to release a 7700k for £360 in Jan, a 7600k without HT for £240, then replace both with a higher clocked 7700k and a HT included 7600k within a couple of months is what I meant.

You put marketing and 'planned for months' together and I referred to them as such also.

Of course it's an attempt to steal their thunder, but it's absolutely last minute, it certainly won't have been planned for months, it's a plan that actively angers everyone who bought at launch only to have them be replaced within 2 months, the non HT to HT including i5 being particularly bad.

I would seriously question that Intel give a monkeys backside whether they anger anyone or not! All they care about is making bank, they've proved that time and time again.

Associate
Apparently the iGPU will be disabled, the TDP will be 112W and they will be using high performance TIM so basically its devil's canyon 2.0.

Therefore I name thee forever more - KABY-KANYON

Mei

Mei

Soldato
wow now some i5's are 2 core, 4 core & 4 core with 8 threads but without igpu
thats a confusing range :E

Soldato
Well looking at the potential pricing in the Ryzen leak thread (if it's anywhere near true) I don't see how Intel will be able to keep the 7700K at the current £360 price for very long, let alone price this SKU higher.

I mean if the Ryzen IPC is anywhere near as good as Skylake/Kaby, then the 4c/8t chips will more than likely be half the price for similar performance.

Soldato
Andromeda1983;30483194 said:
...using high performance TIM so basically its devil's canyon 2.0.

Because we all loved the "improved" TIM in Devil's Canyon :/ If I go Intel again, I'll take advantage of OCUK's pre-delidded units.

Soldato
Journey;30483252 said:
I mean if the Ryzen IPC is anywhere near...

That good sir/ma'am/person, is the biggest if of this decade.

Please don't be another Bulldozer, please don't be another Bulldozer...

Soldato
eddiew;30483483 said:
That good sir/ma'am/person, is the biggest if of this decade.

Please don't be another Bulldozer, please don't be another Bulldozer...

Looking at the comments from the AMD presentation yesterday,it appears even some Intel people said the design looked solid.

I think the main question is whether its closer to Haswell or Broadwell level IPC.

Originally AMD said 40% over Excavator,meaning we were looking at possible SB/IB level IPC. Apparently now they say it is around 50% to 60% which means IPC should be better than SB or IB.

Soldato
CAT-THE-FIFTH;30483498 said:
Looking at the comments from the AMD presentation yesterday,it appears even some Intel people said the design looked solid.

I think the main question is whether its closer to Haswell or Broadwell level IPC.

Originally AMD said 40% over Excavator,meaning we were looking at possible SB/IB level IPC. Apparently now they say it is around 50% to 60% which means IPC should be better than SB or IB.
Most recent official estimate was 58% over Excavator IPC, which is obviously already more than Piledriver.

Soldato
Rossi~;30483987 said:
If this is LGA2066 Kabylake-X, then it's not going to be March, it's going to be Q3/Q4 and on a different platform. Not for Z270.

Indeed. Tech sites have been generating confusion themselves by labelling these as either 1151 cpus being released in march or 2066 cpus being released in august:confused:

Soldato
People are getting confused.

Kaby Lake X is for a different chipset.

This thread is about new Kaby Lake CPU's, that will usurp the current 7700K and i5 top of the range chips. A refresh like Devil's Canyon type of thing. I heard of this a while back, but that the top chip was going to be called the 7790K.

Just gotta wait and see what happens. I def wouldn't buy a 7700K atm though, with Zen and also these on the horizon.

Soldato
OP
Oh dear!

https://www.cpchardware.com/core-i7-7740k-et-i5-7640k-kaby-lake-x-lga2066/

POSTED BY: DOC TB FEBRUARY 8, 2017
If the two new CPUs we announced last Monday are now confirmed by many sources, their exact specifications deserve some clarification. This morning, we received a prototype of Core i5 7640K. Size problem: it is actually a CPU on Socket LGA2066 and not a classic chip in LGA1151 format. Obviously, these processors do belong to the series next Kaby Lake-X . And it's a surprise. Well before the publication of the initial news, we could see the information on the internal search site such as Intel published by our colleagues BenchLife . However, we chose not to mention them for two reasons: first, the site in question sometimes contains incorrect information (for example, this is the case with Skylake-X chip specifications). Then, we always prefer to base our information on concrete, that is to say on physical chips.

Unfortunately, we do not currently have an X299 motherboard to run the X299 immediately. However, we sent it to a contact who can tell us more.

Well it easy to see why tech sites are confused about 7740K and 7640K because 77XX and 76XX numbers are supposed reserved for Kaby Lake-S while 78XX and 79XX numbers are reserved for both Sky Lake-X and Kaby Lake-X.

It did not made any sense to name it as 7740K and 7640K, Intel should label it as 7820K and 7840K both got 4C/8T.

If we look back Sandy Bride E and Ivy Bridge E:

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/63378/Sandy-Bridge-E

4C/8T was branded as i7 3820

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/67456/Ivy-Bridge-E

4C/8T was branded as i7 4820K

https://www.techpowerup.com/230474/...5-7640k-codenamed-kaby-lake-x-112w-tdp-no-igp

PC Games Hardware (PCGH) confirmed 7740K and 7640K will not have IGPU.

So we will have to wait until Coffee Lake-X that will be the first HEDT CPUs to have IGPU in 2018.

Associate
pandem0nium;30478883 said:
+ Selling an I5 for I7 money will definitely go down well.

- I can see there being a problem with all the currently available motherboards not supporting the new chips out the box.

Of course it will go down well, We are used to being shafted now.

Back
Top Bottom