• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch new flagship Kaby Lake 7740K and 7640K CPUs in March 2017?

Associate
CAT-THE-FIFTH;30484471 said:
Fail - its an X299 chip and hence you need to use overpriced motherboards.

It's not overprice if you require PCIe lanes, add a PLX chip to a 170 board and they can cost more than the HEDT platform as there are not many about, I was looking to replace my multi gpu z77 with PLX with a new gen CPU and motherboard and HEDT platform + 40 lane chip similar in price to z170+PLX and i7.

AMD unfortunately has no option for that at all, I was hoping they would have a platform that would do away with this PCie lane constraints bullcrap.

Soldato
sandys;30485246 said:
It's not overprice if you require PCIe lanes, add a PLX chip to a 170 board and they can cost more than the HEDT platform as there are not many about, I was looking to replace my multi gpu z77 with PLX with a new gen CPU and motherboard and HEDT platform + 40 lane chip similar in price to z170+PLX and i7.

AMD unfortunately has no option for that at all, I was hoping they would have a platform that would do away with this PCie lane constraints bullcrap.

The Core i7 6800K has only 28 lanes anyway:
https://ark.intel.com/products/94189/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

Its artificially limited over the Core i7 6850K which has 40 lanes:

http://ark.intel.com/products/94188

Its most likely the Core i7 7740K has 28 lanes or less.

Its pathetic Intel literally segments every feature like that to confuse its customers.

Plus,a pair of cards will run fine on the current Intel consumer platform and if you are running something like two £1000+ Titan X cards,you are not going to give a damn about saving a few hundred quid on a Core i7 6850K.

Even then looking at so many reviews,SLI and XFire are having more and more problems due to the rendering and lighting methods used on more and more games,which are designed with consoles in mind. I don't even see the point of more than 2 cards,unless its for bench-marking.

Its an absolutely fail SKU if its on X99/X299 - spend close to £200 on an overpriced motherboard to save some money on the CPU.

Plus if the cheapest socket 2011 CPU is the £400+ Core i7 6800K,it means this will probably cost like £300 or something similar.

I am sorry but Intel can keep their £300 Core i5 quad core with 28 mighty PCI-E lanes and their £200 motherboards,or £270+ if you want a mini-ITX one.

Once AMD board partners get some mini-ITX motherboards out(hopefully sometime this century),we can get 6 to 8 cores even in a mini-ITX form factor and not have to spend £270 on a flipping motherboard,and looking at the Ryzen pricing leaks,if Intel is selling a 4C/8T for anything over £200 to £250,they will be having a laugh.

I am sure SuperPI will run faster,but meh.

Edit!!

Most of us are sick at some of the tricks Intel has pulled - before Skylake you could get Xeon E3 series 4C/8T CPUs for like £200 which worked on NORMAL consumer grade motherboards. You could even use a £60 motherboard fine. Intel had been selling Xeon chips which worked in consumer sockets since socket 775.

But,Intel could not have that,so on purpose locked them to the C232 chipset from Skylake onwards for no reason other than to force customers to spend at least another £100 more on a 4C/8T CPU. Guess what?? Its the same ****** socket on those C232/C236 based motherboards as 1151 consumer boards. Its £160 for a ****** C232 based mini-ITX motherboard. So instead of an £80 motherboard which does the job,you have to pay double. So in that case,you might as well not bother with a Xeon.

Stupid artificial constraints.

Soldato
Intel in panic mode? funny how they can wheel a +15% Improvement in one move when they have been dishing out marginal improvements for generations... That pretty much says all you need to know about Intel, were happy to rinse your wallet for minimal upgrades while we have no competition.. oh wait competition, heres a decent performance boost, but its gunna cost yah!

funny this leaks now as well, even though im inclined to say its probably 1000% rubbish as its from WTFtech, but funny it leaks when the Ryzen info is coming thick and fast, conspiracy theorists would say is a knee jerk well placed leak to put doubt in potential AMD customers minds...

Problem is, i bet a lot of people will look at this if theres any truth in it and ask why they couldnt bring those improvement earlier on Skylake / Kabylake? oh wait maybe they only found this extra performance once Kabylake was released, yeah that'll be it.

Soldato
SiDeards73;30488709 said:
Intel in panic mode? funny how they can wheel a +15% Improvement in one move when they have been dishing out marginal improvements for generations... That pretty much says all you need to know about Intel, were happy to rinse your wallet for minimal upgrades while we have no competition.. oh wait competition, heres a decent performance boost, but its gunna cost yah!

funny this leaks now as well, even though im inclined to say its probably 1000% rubbish as its from WTFtech, but funny it leaks when the Ryzen info is coming thick and fast, conspiracy theorists would say is a knee jerk well placed leak to put doubt in potential AMD customers minds...

Problem is, i bet a lot of people will look at this if theres any truth in it and ask why they couldnt bring those improvement earlier on Skylake / Kabylake? oh wait maybe they only found this extra performance once Kabylake was released, yeah that'll be it.

So basically a Core i7 8700K EE(Emergency Edition)?? :p

Soldato
It's funny how 8xxx processors will launch soon and people are still running Sandy Bridge.

It's like the equivalent of running a Pentium 3 when Sandy Bridge came out, without the performance gap.

Soldato
muon;30488930 said:
It's funny how 8xxx processors will launch soon and people are still running Sandy Bridge.

It's like the equivalent of running a Pentium 3 when Sandy Bridge came out, without the performance gap.

But,but its 20.782398290% faster in Super PI!! :p

Edit!!

TBH,I am kind of disappointed the Core i5 7640K wasn't socket 1151. A 4C/8T Core i5 for £200 to £240ish would certainly have made things more interesting.

Soldato
muon;30488930 said:

It's mostly those with no idea who claim a sandy bridge can compete with a 7700k, which easily reach 4.9Ghz.

Go and use both and then come back with your findings.

Soldato
muon;30488930 said:

Sandy the oldest swinger in town. It's sad Intel haven't pressed on and even sadder looking at the desktop road map. No end in sight.

Soldato
CAT-THE-FIFTH;30488935 said:
But,but its 20.782398290% faster in Super PI!! :p

Edit!!

TBH,I am kind of disappointed the Core i5 7640K wasn't socket 1151. A 4C/8T Core i5 for £200 to £240ish would certainly have made things more interesting.

I5 for £200? Hello 2008 and welcome back. 2008 it's the future all over again!

Soldato
muon;30488930 said:

Technically speaking it's the equivalent of running a Prescott based Pentium 4 when Sandy Bridge came out (same age difference), without the performance gap.

But yeah I see what you mean.

Soldato
Well one things for sure, Intel will need to adjust prices if AMD are priced as aggressively as they look. If anything it should bring Intel prices down to a more reasonable level, also shows what an utter joke the pricing on the 6900k is.

Soldato
SiDeards73;30491100 said:
Well one things for sure, Intel will need to adjust prices if AMD are priced as aggressively as they look. If anything it should bring Intel prices down to a more reasonable level, also shows what an utter joke the pricing on the 6900k is.

Intel don't need to do anything :p What makes people think Ryzen will put pressure Intel?

Soldato
I hope people don't fall for this and give the new AMD cpus a serious look. Intel have been extracting the urine for years, who buys a top of the range i7 and doesn't buy a dedicated GPU?

Caporegime
lol, well I didn't mean what I said to earlier when I said it wasn't marketing, but I was incidentally right.

Launching two kabylake-x's, as 4 cores, with 16pci-e, with kabylake (normal) type names, possibly before skylake-x(because that makes sooo much sense), on a stupidly expensive platform? Marketing people didn't come up with that. On take your kid to work day someone's kid wrote down some numbers on the board, some engineer thought his boss did it and this was the outcome.

Intel's response to being destroyed by faster chips in mainstream... is to push slower chips to a more expensive platform? That is honest to god the most hilariously stupid thing you could possibly do.

6 or 8 core down to mainstream pricing is the way tech works, it filters down and gets cheaper. Pushing 4 core from mainstream to the HEDT platform... while presumably increasing the chip price as well as requiring more expensive motherboards is.... it's nothing short of brain dead.

A quad core, no quad channel mem, no 28 pci-e lanes(let alone 40). You buy a more expensive motherboard and can't utilise really any of the more expensive IO features.

But the most mental part is still this, mainstream Ivy, Broadwell are followed by HEDT Ivy-e, Broadwell-e. But mainstream Skylake and Kabylake are followed by Kabylake-e quad cores missing all the HEDT platform features(pci-e, quad channel mem), then Skylake-e 6-10 cores... what?

Associate
This makes me think that intel always keep their "top tier" i5 / i7 unreleased until if / when its needed.

Like with the 4690K and the 4790K.

It wouldn't surprise me that they had a better skylake i7 / i5 in reserve for if it was ever needed :/

Caporegime
But these aren't that at all, these are two lower than ever before chips for the HEDT platform, they have no igpu, they are just quad cores with barely higher clocks than mainstream.

These are the worst possible chips imaginable. The Skylake-e chips are coming with 6-10 cores, this is a new chip to go under them with 4 cores, but use none of the x99 platform bonuses, quad channel or more pci-e.

These are extreme bottom tier HEDT chips, not high end mainstream chips.

Back
Top Bottom