• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel’s surprise Ryzen killer

For profit margins seeking - yes but AMD will never reach the lows of Intel with regards to how they want 100% of the shipments to be theirs, pay large fees to the OEMs, so those don't use competitor's CPUs, and uses its own compiler in much of the popular apps, so the competitor's CPUs look worse artificially.

Intel have changed tact. Intel’s best chips are the off roadmap products.

What's the timeline for these new chips from Intel?
Edit: Sorry some confusion by me over the code names there.

LGA1200 Rocket Lake 14nm end of March 2021 announcement followed by availability over the next 4-8 weeks of some SKU's

Alder Lake 10nm is 2021, Q4. However this will be moved to 1H '22 as a more realistic launch window.

Rocketlake S is three Intel generations of IPC increase over the Skylake based desktop CPUs. Their laptop CPUs are already two generations ahead of Skylake and are ahead of Zen2. So I think Rocketlake S might be quite competitive in things such as gaming and Intel will finally have PCI-E 4.0 too. However they will still limited to 8 high power cores,and OFC power consumption won't be as good. Although with 8C CPUs moving back to over £400,I suspect only having 8 cores won't be so limiting for most of the DIY market.

Non confirmed source, citing no specific work loads, so take it with an entire mine of salt.
80% sounds impressive but if its only over Skylake that's not impressive at all for something coming in 2022. 80% cinebench increase on a 6700k only puts it at 757point or 15% ahead of a 5950x. Or am I missing something here.

80% sounds impressive but if its only over Skylake that's not impressive at all for something coming in 2022. 80% cinebench increase on a 6700k only puts it at 757point or 15% ahead of a 5950x. Or am I missing something here.
I'm feeling the same as you.

And that's before I get into whether I even believe Intel...

And that 15% will easily be made up and beaten by AMD - AMD has proven very reliable in hitting its target so we have no reason to believe it won't again.

Zen 4 is moving to 5nm and features 4xSMT - we have no reason to believe that Zen 4 will not have a very significant IPC and clock speed increase over Zen 3 which would easily overtake that 15% advantage Intel may or may not have on its 12th gen CPUs. Intel might break 700 points in R20 on its 12th gen CPU's but Zen 4 is on track to break 800 points..

And that 15% will easily be made up and beaten by AMD - AMD has proven very reliable in hitting its target so we have no reason to believe it won't again.

Zen 4 is moving to 5nm and features 4xSMT - we have no reason to believe that Zen 4 will not have a very significant IPC and clock speed increase over Zen 3 which would easily overtake that 15% advantage Intel may or may not have on its 12th gen CPUs. Intel might break 700 points in R20 on its 12th gen CPU's but Zen 4 is on track to break 800 points..

AMD certainly are credible now, they are execution MACHINES now. Is the 4x SMT confirmed?

6700k is 4 core 8 thread. 5950x is 16 core 32 thread. I think you have missed a lot. Comparing just single core performance wont be painting the picture in multi threadded mode that lead will increase significantly.
Either way i think intel has wised up and their next architecture will be optimised for cinebench. :D

6700k is 4 core 8 thread. 5950x is 16 core 32 thread. I think you have missed a lot. Comparing just single core performance wont be painting the picture in multi threadded mode that lead will increase significantly.
Either way i think intel has wised up and their next architecture will be optimised for cinebench. :D
I think you're the one that's missed the point here. The article specifically says IPC increase i.e single core performance..

shirley if single core is better than a multi core cpu with the requisite number of cores will be better than any other with lower single core performance which also has the requisite number of cores ? or does it come down to like, hyperthreading efficiency and stuff ?

Back
Top Bottom