Interview attire?

Soldato
So off hand how many other major companies demand that interviewees dress to express their individuality? Because being the first/only one is kinda something Google are specifically known for.
I think you're confused. Google don't demand anything, it's just fairly well known they like a bit of individuality in their candidates. That's not really unique in the creative, or tech sectors.

Caporegime
So off hand how many other major companies demand that interviewees dress to express their individuality? Because being the first/only one is kinda something Google are specifically known for.

How is that relevant? I didn't make a claim about 'major' companies and I don't know off hand either. Surely the more relevant question is about creative agencies.

The replies from Scam and Ekim are rather relevant here.

Soldato
How is that relevant?
Because you quoted my post saying Google were the only major one who really required/requested it and said it wasn't true, so I was asking if you can think of any others off hand who do it (as I can't and assumed you could if you were making the ascertation).

Caporegime
Because you quoted my post saying Google were the only major one who really required/requested it and said it wasn't true, so I was asking if you can think of any others off hand who do it (as I can't and assumed you could if you were making the ascertation).

I think you should re-read what was posted, what you originally said obviously isn't true for the reasons already stated. No claims about 'major' companies were made so don't be dishonest here. It is irrelevant anyway as already pointed out.

Permabanned
To be perfectly honest if you run a casual office yet judge people on their appearance at interviews, I'd call that rather hypocritical. Perhaps you should think why it's acceptable for your staff to dress down, but not your interviewers? Afterall, if your staff are meeting their customers in jeans and tshirts should that not be good enough for you?

Staff don't meet customers like that... it's a non-customer-facing office.

It's a demonstration of a lack of effort / interest in the position.

Soldato
Two or three piece, in blue, white shirt and a complimentary tie.

As others said, you can dress down.

I’m not the best to ask; I don’t particularly like the hipster-esque industries. I like a place of business to at least be shirt and tie.

I’m an old man at heart.

Associate
I just had an interview I wore

Blue trousers, brown brogues, white shirt tucked in (grandad collar) for casualness.

Got offered the job but different industries!

Soldato
Indeed, the only real exception is Google who make it known they prefer weirdness in their employees and request casual attire.

There's a very simple way to look at it: Will a suit hurt your chances in an interview? Almost certainly no, will not wearing a suit hurt your chances in an interview? Almost always yes.

It's good it "appears" the OPs decision didn't hurt him too much but it's still better to play it safe.

Firstly, so many companies are like Google these days. They don't care about decades old conventions.

Secondly, safe doesn't necessarily get you the job. The whole reason people are saying suit is that impressions matter, so why is safe now the best option?

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense.

It is hilarious isn't it. A suit would probably be the easiest thing in my wardrobe to wear, requiring the least effort.

Soldato
i went for interview recently and the letter said i was free to come in smart casual attire if i wanted
it was refreshing to be told that as it relaxed you a bit more

Back
Top Bottom