Interview attire?

Caporegime
OP
Well I opted for the dark jeans, shirt, blazer and brown shoes.

Fredback from the recruiter was that they loved me and thought I’d be a perfect fit for the company.

Now to nail the project they want me to do.

Permabanned
A dark suit and subtle tie, proper lace up traditional black shoes and plain dark socks, don't let the BBC presenters drag you down to their level ;) Set a standard even if those around you look like they are going off to sign on, or to play pool! Too late I see.... what sort of shower are you going to work for? :)

Soldato
Always a suit but then I last interviewed over 22 years ago. However, considering I'll never work again work for corporate enterprise when I do get canned/redundo'd I'll opt for smart attire when attending that local part-time B&Q vacancy.

Oh and congrats on fitting right in!

Soldato
I'd say suit, demonstrates your willing and able to look smart and presentable when the situation requires (for example if you had to do meetings with clients).
And when you turn up for said meeting and they're all wearing jeans and a tshirt and think you're a mentalist (or worse, a corporate stooge with no creativity) for wearing a suit? :confused: Then what? You're immediately setting a bad impression.

Fredback from the recruiter was that they loved me and thought I’d be a perfect fit for the company.
Congrats! :cool:

Associate
Good job OP, it's always best to ask the recruiter. I used to go in full suit but then interviewing at startups where everyone is in jeans and T shirts it just looks like you'll not fit in hah.

Soldato
Suit.

I never understand why this question is asked so much.

Because it isn't that easy. Yes it is the safest option (especially if you can get rid of the blazer), but definitely not always the best.

As people suggesting a suit have said, first impressions can sometimes matter.

Associate
Because it isn't that easy. Yes it is the safest option (especially if you can get rid of the blazer), but definitely not always the best.

As people suggesting a suit have said, first impressions can sometimes matter.

Why not always the best?

You're trying to promote your value in a situation where first impressions are paramount.

I've worn suits for interviews where after accepting ive worn t-shirts and jeans every day thereafter.

I cannot think of any situation whereby wearing a suit is a bad idea to a job interview.

Soldato
Why not always the best?

You're trying to promote your value in a situation where first impressions are paramount.

I've worn suits for interviews where after accepting ice ice t-shirts and jeans every day thereafter.

I cannot think of any situation whereby wearing a suit is a bad idea to a job interview.

Never said it is a bad idea, it is definitely safe. Not necessarily the best idea.

Permabanned
It doesn't matter if they are relaxed in day to day operations.

Suit up for the first interview / first impression.

You can always dress down when you work there.

Sitting on the other side of the table... I was annoyed when 2 of our interviewees didn't put effort in for the interview that my biases made me discount them straight away... even though we're a t-shirt and jeans office.

Don't let that happen to you... dress smartly to being and then dress down later.

Soldato
It doesn't matter if they are relaxed in day to day operations.

Suit up for the first interview / first impression.

You can always dress down when you work there.

Sitting on the other side of the table... I was annoyed when 2 of our interviewees didn't put effort in for the interview that my biases made me discount them straight away... even though we're a t-shirt and jeans office.

Don't let that happen to you... dress smartly to being and then dress down later.

So you disregarded two candidates based on an arbitrary criteria that isn't even relevant to the job? Some candidates would be happy to be rejected on something like that as it might show how superficial performance management may end up being.

Permabanned
If we believe attire matters to the extent that it affects what an interviewer thinks about you, then why do you believe a suit is always the correct image to portray.

I think my mindset for dress code is very relaxed... I'm of the mind that people work better when comfortable and suits are rarely comfortable.

Customer-facing... sure... suits can be good... but office with no outside visibility? Who cares...

But for an interview... wearing a suit shows that you've put effort in and are trying to show your best... irregardless of future attire.

Associate
We had a guy in for an interview a few weeks ago , nice fitted suit expensive shoes fresh hair cut but he had the most horrendous shaving rash i have ever seen , looked like he had gone at his face with a butter knife.
That's all i can remember about him actually so have a decent shave as well .

Associate
If we believe attire matters to the extent that it affects what an interviewer thinks about you, then why do you believe a suit is always the correct image to portray.

Because suits promote a degree of professionalism and effort? Suits exist for a reason. If attire doesn't matter why doesn't everyone wear t-shirts and jeans?

What example can you think of where not wearing a suit to an interview would be advantageous?

Back
Top Bottom