iPad Mini...

Soldato
It might appear duller as the brightness might not have been on full? (I've compared my mini to a full size iPad and it doesn't seem dull so it might just be that).

Whilst it is only a little but more, you need to think about form factor. The mini is much smaller and more portable. You won't even notice the pixelation after a few hours use. I've got a retina iPhone4 and the mini and I don't go form one to the other thinking it is an inferior screen (same goes for the full screen iPad... I don't even think about it now).

Edit... If you have an iPad2 then going to the mini would be an improvement screen quality wise due to the smaller screen same resolution.

not sure about "dull" but when I looked at a Mini in the store - the colours seemed more muted and drab compared to my wifes Ipad 3.

I didn't buy one - going to wait for the Retina version - which will then be almost the perfect tablet IMO

atm I'd buy an Ipad over a Mini - for my uses

Caporegime
The iPad sounds like it's going to get a redesign to match the thin looks of the iPod touch/iPad mini anyhoo. So it should be lighter and thinner perhaps. That would swing things back in its favour as it will always have a better processor/more memory than its little brother.

Caporegime
Thats a good point. I'm sure I could get used to it, but for the sake of not much more I'd rather go with a full size iPad. I'll be buying one on the next release after holding off since the iPad 2.

They are totally different beasts though... I have an HP touchpad as well and don't really use it, mostly because of the form factor. The difference in size really is a big deal for many uses, for example I can hold the mini in one hand for hours on end, and type like ala smartphone easily in portrait, which you cant do with a 10" tablet. The other thing is travelling, the smaller size makes a big difference (the main reason I bought it), you can stick it in a coat pocket to carry it around.

Not saying one is better but there are big differences in useability depending on what you want to do with it.

As I said in my previous post, the importance of form factor in general is highly underrated imo, it's amazing how many people I've seen that have said they would never "downgrade" yet after buying their spouse one they have actually ended up being a convert, the Mini is a device you have to spend some time with to understand it's value, I myself learnt that it's hard to quantify the differences between the full size iPad and the Mini without some experience first, otherwise you are just left looking at technical stats which undermines the real value of the mini's form factor.

I feel pretty indifferent towards Apple as a brand, I've not really owned many Apple products, but I honestly think that the Mini is a revolutionary product in terms of how it integrates itself into your everyday living, I've owned 10" tablets before but there was something missing, that 'Startek effect' just wasn't quite there, they weren't true coffee table devices imo, the Mini, in it's intended naked form truly is.

I know this being a tech forum the first thing many people look at (and particularly guys) is tech specs, "How many Megahertz?", "How many CORES!?", "PPI?" etc, now I'm not saying that those things aren't important but tablets are very different to say a desktop, or a games console, your not holding those machines in your hand, they are not your book on the sofa, catching up with corrie in bed, or a bit of Bejewed on the loo, your going to have a close 'physical' relationship with this device, so form factor is VERY important.

Anyway that's enough love for the Mini for now :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would always go for the biggest size you can afford. In my case, I only saw this first gen mini as a stopgap until the retina model came out so I went with 16GB. I've got around 25 games loaded on it and have 1GB free. I'd definitely go for 32GB on my next purchase.

Caporegime
As I said in my previous post, the importance of form factor in general is highly underrated imo, it's amazing how many people I've seen that have said they would never "downgrade" yet after buying their spouse one they have actually ended up being a convert, the Mini is a device you have to spend some time with to understand it's value, I myself learnt that it's hard to quantify the differences between the full size iPad and the Mini without some experience first, otherwise you are just left looking at technical stats which undermines the real value of the mini's form factor.

I feel pretty indifferent towards Apple as a brand, I've not really owned many Apple products, but I honestly think that the Mini is a revolutionary product in terms of how it integrates itself into your everyday living, I've owned 10" tablets before but there was something missing, that 'Startek effect' just wasn't quite there, they weren't true coffee table devices imo, the Mini, in it's intended naked form truly is.

I know this being a tech forum the first thing many people look at (and particularly guys) is tech specs, "How many Megahertz?", "How many CORES!?", "PPI?" etc, now I'm not saying that those things aren't important but tablets are very different to say a desktop, or a games console, your not holding those machines in your hand, they are not your book on the sofa, catching up with corrie in bed, or a bit of Bejewed on the loo, your going to have a close 'physical' relationship with this device, so form factor is VERY important.

Anyway that's enough love for the Mini for now :o

Hear Hear.

what GB size did you folk go for?
i'm looking at a 16GB model, but do i really need 32GB?

I went for 32GB and am about half full with games etc (inc Vice City, MW and Real Racing 3) but got it over the 16GB because I am using it as a photo viewing tool on shoots (and use 16GB cards).

Caporegime
Soldato
Is there an ipad mini case thread on here? Can't seem to find anything but would love to see some cases as I need to order one or pick one up this afternoon.

I got the official apple cover, its not very good. It keeps wanting to come off and the ipad does drop down quite a bit when its on stand mode.

I've also got a dodo book back, it makes holding the pad a lot nicer especially first thing in the mornings when its so cold to touch. They do make some lush cases.

http://www.dodocase.com/

Back
Top Bottom