iPad Mini...

Soldato
I think the battery is what we need to worry about the most with an A6X SoC and retina display in the iPad mini.

Rumours of a new screen technology which is more efficient, might allow for Retina to go into the Mini. Would be very surprised if the next iPad Mini isn't Retina, just seems inevitable in terms of an upgrade.

Man of Honour
The more I use iPad mini the more I wouldn't trade the battery life and thin form factor for a better screen. It's what makes it so good.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23736632 said:
The more I use iPad mini the more I wouldn't trade the battery life and thin form factor for a better screen. It's what makes it so good.

Have to admit I didn't see the point, or the appeal until a colleague at work got one. Having had a hold and a play I was quite impressed.

However I wouldn't swap mine for one. While the mini is certainly more portable, I like the extra real estate on mine. As it rarely leaves the house, portability isn't an issue.

I'm seriously in love with my mini, I've had it a good couple of weeks and usually 'new toy syndrome' would've long worn off by now, but not with this device, as mentioned above the form factor is key here, I can see now why so many people choose to use the mini over the full size iPad now, even though it has a lower res screen and older SOC, it just goes to show how important form factor can be.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;23736632 said:

technology moves on :)

6 months later a much better screen could use the same power

same with gpu/cpu

Soldato
I'm seriously in love with my mini, I've had it a good couple of weeks and usually 'new toy syndrome' would've long worn off by now, but not with this device, as mentioned above the form factor is key here, I can see now why so many people choose to use the mini over the full size iPad now, even though it has a lower res screen and older SOC, it just goes to show how important form factor can be.

I know the feeling it's just been amazing to use over the last few weeks!

My gauge of technology is show it to a mate who is allergic to technology and see what he thinks. Told him about when I got it and was called a sell out, just gave it to him to play with on a Sunday and he tried to leave with it! :D

If the guy the guy who struggles not to break CD players gets over excited using it, I, pretty sure the mini is a proper winner...

Soldato
I like the extra real estate on mine

Other than the physical size of the screen being bigger you do not get any more real estate on the screen, while the mini is not retina the retina screen on the Ipad only makes it looks more detailed and not any thing extra on the screen as far as I can tell

Soldato
Other than the physical size of the screen being bigger you do not get any more real estate on the screen.

'being bigger' was all I meant by extra real estate. I watch a lot of TV on the iPad, so the bigger screen there is nice.

while the mini is not retina the retina screen on the Ipad only makes it looks more detailed and not any thing extra on the screen as far as I can tell

Yes, I understand this. It's down to my poor explanation :)

Man of Honour
technology moves on :)

6 months later a much better screen could use the same power

same with gpu/cpu

Didn't happen with iPad 3. Thicker and heavier than iPad 2. Luckily with a device that big it wasnt a big deal, but the Mini is all about form factor.

Battery tech certainly does not move on.

Soldato
How do you guys find the iPad Mini for Movies/TV Shows etc? Will be SD content and Netflix etc. Trying to decide out of the Retina or the Mini.

Caporegime
If it's for SD stuff, it'll be fine. There is no discernable difference between SD and HD on my iPad mini because of the low pixel count. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the mini with its current display though. Every time I use it I have a niggle in my head that I can see the pixels and can't fully enjoy the content it's displaying. But that might just be me being a technophile.

Last edited:
Permabanned
the mrs just got a mini, and apart from the screen I wish my 3rd gen was that light, it makes me wanna trade down, the big brother makes my wrists hurt watching movies in bed :(

Soldato
I'll probably sell it straight away and upgrade when the next Mini comes out anyway, just the size of it is what is attracting me to it. My Current iPad (1) I still find OK screen wise, so I guess it should be fine.

Soldato
Had mine a few weeks and primarily use it for a nav in the taxi coupe with a bit of browsing at work and at home and some iPad games it's getting a solid 12 hours use a day

Only problem I've found as already mentioned is that my wife keeps stealing my mini over her iPad4 it's a Percy size and weight of course I'd love a bit more battery life and a better screen but I really can't fault it

Soldato
I had a iPad 4 and the Wife got a Mini For Christmas. After playing with the Wifes Mini I traded down/sideways to a Mini. It's just so much nicer to hold and take anywhere. I've already got money saved up to dump on a Retina Mini soon as launched, IMO a Mini with Retina = Tablet perfection :)

Been a month since I said bye to the iPad 4, Do I miss it? NO, the Mini is better :)

Associate
I think they got the screen size correct the first time. I'd miss the physical size of the iPad even once the Mini gets more resolution. The physical size makes a difference for the two applications I use mine for regularly - reading comics (full page zoomed out) and sketching. I think the increased comfort in the iPad Mini is mostly due to the massively reduced weight (less than half) rather than the smaller size. So if the iPad 5 manages to lose a good 100g (not an unreasonable goal), I'd still lean towards that rather than a retina Mini (which may well gain a few grams much like the transition from iPad 2 to 3).

Back
Top Bottom