iPad Mini...

I had the choice between an iPad 4 or a mini and the form factor of the mini won out over the higher specs of the iPad 4 for me, it's near absolute perfection for me when used without a case, which I think is very important for the mini, to really enjoy the mini it has to be naked imo, I use the mini just as I imagined using a startrek data pad when I was younger, I think a lot of people really underestimate the importance of form factor.

Permabanned
OP
I had the choice between an iPad 4 or a mini and the form factor of the mini won out over the higher specs of the iPad 4 for me, it's near absolute perfection for me when used without a case, which I think is very important for the mini, to really enjoy the mini it has to be naked imo, I use the mini just as I imagined using a startrek data pad when I was younger, I think a lot of people really underestimate the importance of form factor.

Same, it is perfection. If they can get a retina display, A7 and a revamped iOS 7 in there then nirvana will have been obtained!

Soldato

I know the feeling about the mini, I love using it naked as it fits perfectly in my hands without feeling like there's any effort going into holding it (sounds lazy and weird out of context though).

The added coolness of a star trek data pad is even better! :D

But yeah I think the form is spot on for what you want to do with an iPad, I've never felt like I am missing out by not having the bigger one or ever held back by it having a lower res screen or anything else.

Caporegime
Agreed, naked mini it is! I can't even stand the smartcover on it, it still adds bulk and makes it harder to hold. I've had a couple of people mention I'm silly for not having a case of some kind on it, however those big bulky things most people have just negate the point of a tablet. :rolleyes:

Star Trek all the way, and if I drop it and it breaks ill buy an we one, they aren't the most expensive things in the world!

Soldato
I've got quite a bulky case on mine, and am tempted to replace it with something thinner. Really, all I want is something to protect it from scratches, as I'm planning on selling it if/when the retina is announced. Any suggestions for a thin case which protects both the front and the back?

Soldato
I've got quite a bulky case on mine, and am tempted to replace it with something thinner. Really, all I want is something to protect it from scratches, as I'm planning on selling it if/when the retina is announced. Any suggestions for a thin case which protects both the front and the back?
Invision cases, great fit and bargain price.

Soldato
I have an Apple smart cover on the front and a carbon looking type Gelaskin on the back. Keeps it scratch free but adds no bulk.

Associate
I have been looking at the mini but for my uses and the fact the full sized "original" or "Daddy" IPad 2 is only £30 more it just seems pointless to get a smaller screen and have the pain of "Lightning" when my expensive hifi and stereos else where in the house use 30Pin :)

Caporegime
I want an iPad Mini for UDK development BUT for £269 no way. Any chance the iPad Mini 2 will be closer to £200

Probably not, I doubt apple would be happy to remove any profit...

They have the market share, they don't need to sell at cost...

http://mashable.com/2012/11/06/ipad-mini-manufacture/

$198 no including shipping/import, warranty cover and retail costs...

Edit: assuming other costs of around £40 for each iPad mini, then you're looking at around £170 before they get any profit...

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't read through this thread, but I went into the Apple Store in Reading on Saturday and compared the iPad and the mini. The screen was so pixelly and duller on the mini it really put me off. Was it just my eyes or does anyone else agree?

Soldato
Haven't read through this thread, but I went into the Apple Store in Reading on Saturday and compared the iPad and the mini. The screen was so pixelly and duller on the mini it really put me off. Was it just my eyes or does anyone else agree?

Because we're all so used to the Retina display, it seems mad to think we would accept displays like the one in the iPad mini. Personally, it's definitely something I could get over after a few days of usage.

Soldato
Thats a good point. I'm sure I could get used to it, but for the sake of not much more I'd rather go with a full size iPad. I'll be buying one on the next release after holding off since the iPad 2.

Soldato
Thats a good point. I'm sure I could get used to it, but for the sake of not much more I'd rather go with a full size iPad. I'll be buying one on the next release after holding off since the iPad 2.

It might appear duller as the brightness might not have been on full? (I've compared my mini to a full size iPad and it doesn't seem dull so it might just be that).

Whilst it is only a little but more, you need to think about form factor. The mini is much smaller and more portable. You won't even notice the pixelation after a few hours use. I've got a retina iPhone4 and the mini and I don't go form one to the other thinking it is an inferior screen (same goes for the full screen iPad... I don't even think about it now).

Edit... If you have an iPad2 then going to the mini would be an improvement screen quality wise due to the smaller screen same resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really want a pinlo slice case for my mini.

I always go naked and the pinlo slice is the only case I've ever used on my iPhones.

Back
Top Bottom