iPhone performance degradation with battery aging

Soldato
Some people having issues with Apple not wanting to replace their batteries - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43960267. Hard to know what % are having issues but seem quite a few get a better service from an indy repairer.

My 6S shows 90% so will see how it goes for now.
Went to a local Apple authorised dealer to change my sons battery in his iPhone 6. They said it was slightly bend - news to me - so wouldn't touch it. So took it to a local private dealer who did for just £5 more, and TBH, glad I did, because very good service etc.

Associate
Took my mums 6s to storefront and replaced it for £25. Spent ages doing checks/picture of the phone and get Apple to authorise the repair before they would take the phone.

This process took 40 mins and then they needed an hour to do the actual repair.

They were very apologetic about all the checks that Apple make them do.

Soldato
Re: watchdog.
The enclosure one is a case of a depot repair unfortunately.
That small nick is enough to potentially cause the screen not to seat properly and the depot must return every phone in a warrantable condition. In store it’s almost 100% certain the customer would be told the risks and the repair would go ahead, the depot doesn’t have this functionality.

Re: audio case - it can’t be a speaker as those are replaceable, same with the receiver (display) so must’ve been one of the two microphones since they were quoted a handset swap.
Chances are it’s the noice canceling mic which wouldn’t cause much issues in real world usage hence the “independent showing misuses with the device” however would still fail the audio test.
In this case the customer can request the repair anyway - I’m going to assume the technician was new and simply messed up.
They could have asked to speak to his superior and got it resolved easily in store.

Went to a local Apple authorised dealer to change my sons battery in his iPhone 6. They said it was slightly bend - news to me - so wouldn't touch it. So took it to a local private dealer who did for just £5 more, and TBH, glad I did, because very good service etc.
Small enclosure bends are the one thing technicians are told to refuse the repair for as 1) no guarantees the display goes back on properly and 2) if the bend is stressing the battery inside it’s a more significant risk of a thermal event during removal

Soldato
Re: watchdog.
The enclosure one is a case of a depot repair unfortunately.
That small nick is enough to potentially cause the screen not to seat properly and the depot must return every phone in a warrantable condition. In store it’s almost 100% certain the customer would be told the risks and the repair would go ahead, the depot doesn’t have this functionality.

Re: audio case - it can’t be a speaker as those are replaceable, same with the receiver (display) so must’ve been one of the two microphones since they were quoted a handset swap.
Chances are it’s the noice canceling mic which wouldn’t cause much issues in real world usage hence the “independent showing misuses with the device” however would still fail the audio test.
In this case the customer can request the repair anyway - I’m going to assume the technician was new and simply messed up.
They could have asked to speak to his superior and got it resolved easily in store.

Small enclosure bends are the one thing technicians are told to refuse the repair for as 1) no guarantees the display goes back on properly and 2) if the bend is stressing the battery inside it’s a more significant risk of a thermal event during removal

From what I saw of the programme it appeared to me that Apple are going out of the way not to replace customers batteries for 'free'. Pretty poor behaviour from the richest company on the planet. My iPhone 7 battery still appears fine however.

Soldato
I can guarantee that’s not the case.
Some stores are better prepared then others sure.
Ultimately nothing at all has changed about apples repair policy other then the price of a battery - it’s only news now because everyone and their dog wants their battery swapped due to the low cost.
In WDs example only the Audio case was a clear mistake from the company.
Although the rest was surely spun to look worse then it was to fit the agenda

Associate
I’m not sure if my problem is related but I have been experiencing dreadful battery life with my iPhone SE. I’m lucky if lasts 6 hours and I sometimes notice it will shut down at ~10%, appear completely dead, but start instantly as soon as the lead is plugged in. In the battery settings I am at 92% but performance management is ON. My phone is about 9 months old. Does it sound like I have an issue that could be fixed under warranty?

Soldato
I’m not sure if my problem is related but I have been experiencing dreadful battery life with my iPhone SE. I’m lucky if lasts 6 hours and I sometimes notice it will shut down at ~10%, appear completely dead, but start instantly as soon as the lead is plugged in. In the battery settings I am at 92% but performance management is ON. My phone is about 9 months old. Does it sound like I have an issue that could be fixed under warranty?

Definitely.

Commissario
Bit of a bump but my launch day iPhone 7 Plus has been chewing the battery up badly recently to the extent that when I took it off charge yesterday, within an hour it had dropped by 10%. The battery health was showing at 91% with coconutBattery showing around 400 cycles.

I was passing an Apple store today so popped in. I had to wait three hours to be seen as I didn't have an appointment and then they said that I may not notice any difference with a new battery because the drain on their support/diagnostics looked normal. I said I'd like a new one anyway so an hour and a half later I was £25 lighter and I have a replacement battery. There was no argument when I asked for it, they were quite happy to fit it but did make the point (repeatedly) that I may not notice any difference.

85miipV.png

It's nice to have a battery with a cycle count of zero :)

Soldato
Feek, I had similar issues on my 6S, the battery would just drop chunks of % in a matter of minutes. I let it drop to nothing once and 30% - 1% went in 2 hours, the last 1% lasted another 3 :eek:.

A new battery fixed it, the overall health was 81% so it was time for a change, it could have been out of calibration but it was pretty much done anyway.

Soldato
My iPhoneX battery health is down to 93% already according to the built in iOS Battery Health monitory. I think I bought it in November, so about 10 months old.

93.1% and a cycle count of 206 according to Coconutbattery

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a bump but my launch day iPhone 7 Plus has been chewing the battery up badly recently to the extent that when I took it off charge yesterday, within an hour it had dropped by 10%. The battery health was showing at 91% with coconutBattery showing around 400 cycles.

I was passing an Apple store today so popped in. I had to wait three hours to be seen as I didn't have an appointment and then they said that I may not notice any difference with a new battery because the drain on their support/diagnostics looked normal. I said I'd like a new one anyway so an hour and a half later I was £25 lighter and I have a replacement battery. There was no argument when I asked for it, they were quite happy to fit it but did make the point (repeatedly) that I may not notice any difference.

85miipV.png

It's nice to have a battery with a cycle count of zero :)

I’ve got the same phone and recently noticed my battery seems to go down a bit quicker than it used to. My battery health says 90% and I’ve had my phone since they launched with every day use. More than happy with my phone as it does everything so well still and feels even better on iOS12 getting a new battery fitted for £25 will see me through for a couple of years easy so I’m going to take advantage of the offer as I’ve got a apple store within walking distance.

Soldato
I’ve got the same phone and recently noticed my battery seems to go down a bit quicker than it used to. My battery health says 90% and I’ve had my phone since they launched with every day use. More than happy with my phone as it does everything so well still and feels even better on iOS12 getting a new battery fitted for £25 will see me through for a couple of years easy so I’m going to take advantage of the offer as I’ve got a apple store within walking distance.

Same here. Since the new iPhones aren't tempting me I might as well take advantage of the £25 battery offer before it runs out. Even if I won't really notice much difference in battery life I might as well get a new one.

Soldato
I called up Support months ago asking for battery replacement. The guy ran some tests and said my battery is fine. I have 6s+ since launch and its still going strong to be fair.

Back
Top Bottom