iPhone SE 2020

Soldato
The OnePlus 7T Pro had a c.4000mAh battery, yet the 8 Pro in more or less the exact same body, fitted a 4500mAh battery inside, along with wireless charging and waterproofing. The space for that extra 500mAh came from quality engineering, a thing which Apple has plenty of, were they willing to invest resources to fit in a larger battery. But that's by the by. The SE is the phone that it is and it's a solid product. Just seems like there're a lot of people saying it's better than it is and looking to excuse the shortcomings (like the small battery).

Is there a higher capacity battery in the same size available to Apple to use?

Permabanned
The OnePlus 7T Pro had a c.4000mAh battery, yet the 8 Pro in more or less the exact same body, fitted a 4500mAh battery inside, along with wireless charging and waterproofing. The space for that extra 500mAh came from quality engineering, a thing which Apple has plenty of, were they willing to invest resources to fit in a larger battery. But that's by the by. The SE is the phone that it is and it's a solid product. Just seems like there're a lot of people saying it's better than it is and looking to excuse the shortcomings (like the small battery).

You better ask Apple why they didn't use a bigger battery then because nobody on here is going to give the answer you want. At the end of the day if a phone performs as it should then there isn't a problem. Maybe people don't need that super duper battery life between charges and isn't a problem for 99.9% of people that buy the device?

Soldato
I don't understand the question. Are you saying Apple pick an off-the-shelf battery for their phones?

well the battery can only be a certain size. You are suggesting that in the same sized space Apple could have put a higher capacity battery. But if Apple don’t have the technology to put a higher capacity battery in the same sized space, how do they put a higher capacity battery on the same size space?

Permabanned
well the battery can only be a certain size. You are suggesting that in the same sized space Apple could have put a higher capacity battery. But if Apple don’t have the technology to put a higher capacity battery in the same sized space, how do they put a higher capacity battery on the same size space?

You can put a higher capacity in the same size space but not by a massive amount. I did some research for my iPhone 8 as it's getting to a lowish % now after recharges and you can buy a 2000 mAh battery over it's original 1,821 mAh. But it's a third party not by Apple.

Soldato
You can put a higher capacity in the same size space but not by a massive amount. I did some research for my iPhone 8 as it's getting to a lowish % now after recharges and you can buy a 2000 mAh battery over it's original 1,821 mAh. But it's a third party not by Apple.

Ok so where does this idea come from that Apple could change the 1821mAh battery for a 2500mAh battery if there’s no space for that?

Soldato
All the phones listed are also not £400 at launch and are much bigger physically.

Isn’t the point that if you have to re-engineer any part of the phone it will no longer be a £400 phone and still be profitable. The whole reason it’s cheap is because it’s a parts bin phone.

Soldato
All the phones listed are also not £400 at launch and are much bigger physically.

Isn’t the point that if you have to re-engineer any part of the phone it will no longer be a £400 phone and still be profitable. The whole reason it’s cheap is because it’s a parts bin phone.
R&D creating new things cost money to develop. So the price would then go up. Let’s say they used the old 5/SE chassis and put a new full bezel less screen on it, the price tag would probably be £550/600

so yeah this is a parts bin phone. Hence the budget price tag. It’ll tide me over til the 12 , but more likely the 12s

Soldato
R&D creating new things cost money to develop. So the price would then go up. Let’s say they used the old 5/SE chassis and put a new full bezel less screen on it, the price tag would probably be £550/600

so yeah this is a parts bin phone. Hence the budget price tag. It’ll tide me over til the 12 , but more likely the 12s

The argument some people will make is that £400 is not a budget price. They’ll argue that £100 is budget. But the iPhone SE at £100 would almost certainly mean Apple would be loosing money on each sale over an expected device lifetime of 3-5 years.

Soldato
The argument some people will make is that £400 is not a budget price. They’ll argue that £100 is budget. But the iPhone SE at £100 would almost certainly mean Apple would be loosing money on each sale over an expected device lifetime of 3-5 years.
If people expect to pay £100 for an iPhone.. well, you could go second hand for an old 6 or 7 maybe. But if you want new you’ll have to fork out at least something.

You can get this on contract, it can cost you as little as £26 a month with £150 upfront.(maybe even less)

Soldato

£100 wouldn’t cover the BoM cost for an iPhone 8 chassis with the MLB from an iPhone 11 installed.

I very much doubt that Apple could even make a “parts bin special” (remember that these are new parts made on old tooling as Apple doesn’t keep huge stocks of spare for old products) for £300 without losing money.

Soldato

My Xiaomi Mi 9 has a triple camera, Snapdragon 855, new design, AMOLED screen etc. And cost £270 a year ago.

I'm not saying the SE is a bad product, I'm saying it's a lazy product.

Is there a higher capacity battery in the same size available to Apple to use?

An iPhone 7 from 2016 has almost identical dimensions and a battery that's 150mah larger.

Back
Top Bottom