iPhone SE 2020

Soldato
My Xiaomi Mi 9 has a triple camera, Snapdragon 855, new design, AMOLED screen etc. And cost £270 a year ago.

I'm not saying the SE is a bad product, I'm saying it's a lazy product.

An iPhone 7 from 2016 has almost identical dimensions and a battery that's 150mah larger.

Was the iPhone 7 battery physically the same size as the iPhone SE battery?

Soldato
My Xiaomi Mi 9 has a triple camera, Snapdragon 855, new design, AMOLED screen etc. And cost £270 a year ago.

Of course it is, but it's a good product at what is, in the current market, a good price point, grey market notwithstanding. They're not going to put new tech or research into a £419 phone. They could do so and still turn a profit, sure, but that upsets their whole business model of pushing high end goods. I don't think anyone is debating that you could get more for your money elsewhere but the SE is still a compelling proposition

Soldato

But those people are not the target market. Its for those who just want an iPhone (to play Keeping up with the Joneses) or a newer iPhone they don't want to get preowned from CEX or Cash Converters because they actually cant afford a new iPhone.

Soldato
But those people are not the target market. Its for those who just want an iPhone (to play Keeping up with the Joneses) or a newer iPhone they don't want to get preowned from CEX or Cash Converters because they actually cant afford a new iPhone.

I find it bizarre that some people think iOS and Android are interchangeable. Once you are in one ecosystem you are very very unlikely to be buying a device from the other.

Soldato
I went Nokia, to Windows Phone to Android, then to iOS when the kids got phones, I’m not overly bothered which ecosystem I’m on and for as long as they last me any iPhone will do, I just don’t want a large device which is what was putting me off upgrading my existing 6s, I also like the button, so an SE is brilliant for me..

Associate
I find it bizarre that some people think iOS and Android are interchangeable. Once you are in one ecosystem you are very very unlikely to be buying a device from the other.

They are if you aren’t overly reliant on either ecosystem. I expect there will be many people who can go from either who primarily use Google services yet use iOS devices.

Soldato
So are we starting to see push back in the other direction again, people are now asking for smaller phones with a physical buttons? Not giant slabs of glass.

Soldato
My wife, my mum and my father-in-law have all just bought the 2020SE.

My wife upgraded from a 6s, my mum and my FIL from a 4s.

In all three cases, they were put off by the price of the 11 and the XR (which is too big anyway). They also didn't want to get an 8 because it's three years old.

None of them are in any way technically minded and they are all used to the Apple ecosystem, so switching to Android wasn't really an option.

It may not be the best phone in the world but for them (and I would wager a lot of other people) it ticks enough of the right boxes.

You might not like it, but I think Apple is going to sell a lot of these phones.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a good value iPhone that nails the basics. They'll fly off the shelves.

The target market don't care about curved screens, no bezels that'll crack the screen when you invariably drop it or superfluous spec top trumps like 120Hz refresh rates.

For all the wailing from the Android fanboys - there's no similar product, they've all gone upmarket with add on tat and no long term software support in search of competitive advantage. Well outflanked there Apple!

Soldato
This phone also have wireless charging IP67, and NFC.

It is a solid phone, it runs the latest iOS and will do for years to come. With lower pixel count, the power to weight ratio is the biggest on the market meaning it is the most powerful phone on the market.

Its high but not the most powerful.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/did-apple-underclock-the-a13-bionic-processor-in-the-iphone-se

The iPhone 11 Pro Max and the iPhone SE are powered by the same A13 Bionic chipset, so you might expect that things would be the same in terms of performance.

Our own iPhone SE review showed that the new handset didn't hit the heights of the iPhone 11 Pro Max, for example, but still managed to negotiate daily app use with ease.

The results posted on benchmarking site Antutu reveal that the iPhone SE managed to achieve a score of 492,166 on the benchmarking tests, which is the lowest of all the devices using the A13 Bionic chipset

Soldato
I mean, I'm a reasonably successful young(ish) professional earning not far off £100k and, having built a number of PCs in my life and by and large owned top end Android phones am also pretty tech savvy, but I'm strongly considering the SE as my next phone. I want to step away from Google, partly because I'm starting to value stability and simplicity over an all singing all dancing experience, and partly because their stance on data concerns me. And there is nothing the higher end iPhones do over and above the SE that I need. Sure, they look nicer and I'll be taking a step back from a bezel-less display to big bezels, but the 11 is too big for my use case, and the 11 Pro is way more expensive and, while I could afford it, I don't need to.

My point is that the SE hits a really good mark in the market, and is not just a phone for poor, image conscious people

Soldato
I mean, I'm a reasonably successful young(ish) professional earning not far off £100k and, having built a number of PCs in my life and by and large owned top end Android phones am also pretty tech savvy, but I'm strongly considering the SE as my next phone. I want to step away from Google, partly because I'm starting to value stability and simplicity over an all singing all dancing experience, and partly because their stance on data concerns me. And there is nothing the higher end iPhones do over and above the SE that I need. Sure, they look nicer and I'll be taking a step back from a bezel-less display to big bezels, but the 11 is too big for my use case, and the 11 Pro is way more expensive and, while I could afford it, I don't need to.

My point is that the SE hits a really good mark in the market, and is not just a phone for poor, image conscious people

Or for people like me who just wants a new iPhone to play around with along side my Macbook Air and iPad Pro:D I already have an S10+ but I wont use the SE as my main phone as my next phone will be a 5G one.

Associate

I think most Android phones with the various OS's offer a stable experience these days. And iOS isn't immune to having it's fair share of bugs and issues.

I think someone using a Pixel for example could get a somewhat equal experience of someone using an iPhone.

Ultimately, the SE all boils down to price, and the fact that you're pretty set for updates for a good few years.

Permabanned

The only problem with this test is that they never mentioned what the % indicator the battery was health wise at the start or if there was a new battery installed. What could affect this test would be the health of the battery at the start. What he could have done is installed new batteries with 100% life in them that where from new iPhones.

Good test over all though and there was no surprises when it come to that test for me.

Soldato
The only problem with this test is that they never mentioned what the % indicator the battery was health wise at the start or if there was a new battery installed. What could affect this test would be the health of the battery at the start. What he could have done is installed new batteries with 100% life in them that where from new iPhones.

Good test over all though and there was no surprises when it come to that test for me.
Yes true, but it reflects the % life of the batteries in those phones that people currently have. I.e. the 6S battery life was 89%.

Back
Top Bottom