iPhone - Those who will be buying one, in here.

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Associate
Not sure if we can talk about it on here, but Scumm VM works great. Its just a pain sometimes getting your clicks accurate enough on small objects like the rotating restaurant switch in Sam and Max!! Think the dev's are getting a magnifying glass utility on the go like when you are typing in a text box and hover your finger above a character and it zooms in.

Soldato
I'm still of two minds whether to keep the iPhone tariff, or not.

iPhone vs.Simplicity

200/200 - 200/400... The lesser is more than enough...
Unlimited Data - 120Mb... I doubt there's really much in it...
The Cloud Wi-Fi - none... How often am I going to make use of it, really?...
£35 - £22.50... Sounds like a no-brainer...

I think I may have just convinced myself :D

[edit] Um, seems that to cancel the contract I have to send the iPhone back. Makes sense from their end, but I can't be bothered, still have a week to decide.
[edit again] Auch well, I've taken the plunge and ported my old number. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, its a program called 'SMSD', if your iPhone hazs been jailbroken and you have the installer, install 'Comunity Sources' then it will be in your list of availble dowloads.

A MMS program was released today as well, I think at the moment it only lets you send them, but its still early days :)

Associate
the only problems im having with my iphone is:

1. sometimes it crashes n i have to reset it
2. cant multiple text people
3. cant forward text
4. i want my music as my ringtones

Soldato
Does anyone else's iPhone only really last a day? The battery on mine is bad!

I have turned off Wi-Fi now and it has lasted for 2 days 3 hours and 1 hour 30 minutes use. It must be outputting Wi-Fi all the time when its locked for some reason. The phone really needs some new apps and fast, its getting very boring.

Josh

Soldato
the only problems im having with my iphone is:

1. sometimes it crashes n i have to reset it
2. cant multiple text people
3. cant forward text
4. i want my music as my ringtones

1: It shouldnt, mine hasnt crashed once.
2: Jailbrake the phone and install 'SMSD" problem solved.
3: Jailbrake the phone and install 'SMSD" problem solved.
4: Create a ringtone as mp3 (less than 30 seconds long). Import into iTunes. Convert to ACC. Rename extension to m4r. Drag the file into the ringtones folder.

Soldato
Does anyone else's iPhone only really last a day? The battery on mine is bad!

I have turned off Wi-Fi now and it has lasted for 2 days 3 hours and 1 hour 30 minutes use. It must be outputting Wi-Fi all the time when its locked for some reason. The phone really needs some new apps and fast, its getting very boring.

Josh

Battery is pretty bad mainly for 2 reasason.

Wi-Fi - this is the real killer, mine lasts for ages when this is disabled, if I use it for browsing for a hour or 2 it kills the bettery.

SSH - This will only be a problem on Jailbroken iPhones, when you jailbrake your phone it leaves it only perminantly, download and install 'Services', its a really handy util that lets you switch off and on Edge, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi & SSH instantly.

As for you statement about it needing new apps, its early days and the level of support out there is amazing, some of the things either out there or in development is pretty damned good, I for one have never had a phone that was capable of so much.

Some of my favs are

Apollo - Chat client that supports all the biggies
Customize
ScummVM
Finder
To do list
SMSD
MMS
V notes
Connect
Navison
Drop copy
Services

Associate
I bought an iPhone on O2 2 days ago and im VERY happy :)

Using the £35 O2 contract and dont think its such a bad deal with the unlimited net usage and all. I plan on waiting for the official applications to come out as like its been said once the SDK hits the streets there will be tonnes available and without having to compromise further updates :)

Well unless there is a super easy way around it all without the brain ache :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
can you not install applications if your phone is not hacked??

I pay on the o2 contract for mine

Yes, but you have to Jailbreak the iPhone to install apps.

You can then go a step further and unlock the phone once it's jailbroken, however, this is a secondary stage.. you can jailbreak the iPhone and keep using your O2 SIM without unlocking if you choose.

Either way, Jailbreaking it is essential :)

Associate
just jailbroken mine after a night of looong hard work, bit POed that itunes has lost my backup of everything that was on the iphone, it decided to backup the new install and overwrite my old one. But glad i've got apps working. No VVM at the moment though, and havent been able to make a call. Bit worried. but im used to no calls - no signal at my house :s

Last edited:
Associate
5bjoshua - you sorted your cancellation yet? Just got a bill from O2 for £582. You can imagine my happiness! Apparently my return wasn't marked as a "14 day return" so they decided to charge me for the additional 17 months of my contract and it will now be reversed.

This happened last time i left O2 also...shoddy freaking useless money grabbing bar stewards!

Soldato
5bjoshua - you sorted your cancellation yet? Just got a bill from O2 for £582. You can imagine my happiness! Apparently my return wasn't marked as a "14 day return" so they decided to charge me for the additional 17 months of my contract and it will now be reversed.

This happened last time i left O2 also...shoddy freaking useless money grabbing bar stewards!

:eek:

That made me cry just reading it !

Associate
:eek:

That made me cry just reading it !

Tell me about it. :p

Have cancelled my DD as the chap said just to be sure, i'll never understand how complicated it could be to click the right button. The annoying thing is i was chasing this all the time ensuring with loads of different people/departments in O2 that it was all fine and dandy and cancelled properly...

:mad:

Edit: If anyone's bored, my full rant is here!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom