iPhone - Those who will be buying one, in here.

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Soldato
Are screen protectors really necessary? I've had mine over a week now and the screen is still perfect despite being stuffed in my pocked with a load of other stuff...

It'll inevitably get scratched and develop swirl marks down the line.

Just wanna keep the screen in good condish!

Josh

Soldato
I've seen people scratching at the screen with keys and it not leave a trace. Don't think I'd go that far myself, but I'd not be worried about it :)

Might take the plunge this week :)

I bought two from HMV for £9.99. It takes nothing away from the look of the device and in time you will scratch your screen and it will annoy the wizz out of you. During some work my hands can becomes damaged and feel scratchy so I am happy with the purchase.

Soldato
Im looking to buy an iphone this week but was just wondering if anyone can say which things they dont like about the phone? like lack of features programs etc? as its all well and good knowing all the good things about it but i think knowing the bad things will help me decide quicker.

Associate
Im looking to buy an iphone this week but was just wondering if anyone can say which things they dont like about the phone? like lack of features programs etc? as its all well and good knowing all the good things about it but i think knowing the bad things will help me decide quicker.

Had mine about a week and am loving it, I've only noticed two things so far which I don't like;

1) You can't text multiple people at once - on my old phone I could write a text and then select multiple contacts to send to, you can't do that on the iphone.
2) The ringer doesn't seem to be loud enough - even on max sometimes I can't hear it when it rings in the car, this was never a problem on my old phone.

Despite this I absolutely love my iPhone, posting this message from it now! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I am posting this from the iPhone I borrowed from work,connected on regular gprs and it is just making the internet on my k810i look silly. Sadly working at o2 means Im not exactly loaded so I will need to wait. I can't afford to have 2 phone bills totalling £55 a month!

Soldato
Well, when the cash I paid into my account this morning finally shows up, I'll be taking the plunge and ordering online.

£35 back from quidco is worth the wait, methinks.

Soldato
1. Check
2. Check (I'll do you one better - Visual Voicemail!)
3. Check
4. Check
5. Check (No OTA I'm afraid)
6. Check
7. Nope (Sorry. Instead you have a "double-tap to access" Favourites list.)
8. Check (Wif-Fi, EDGE and GPRS)
9. Check
10. Check (The iPhone detects when there's no data access and gives you an option to dial your voicemail the old-fashioned way instead of using Visual Voicemail. Turning off data does not hinder your ability to receive voicemail.)

1x. Check (You can manually input details for ANY POP/IMAP servers you may use, it doesn't need to be O2 or chosen from a predefined list of ISP's. In addition, if you have your account set up in Mac OS X Mail it automatically syncs it. No push unless you use Yahoo mail, but there is OTA pull over Wi-Fi, EDGE and GPRS, not just when plugged into a computer.)
2x. Sorta (At the moment there is a very easy method to get custom ringtones on the iPhone. Its been around for a few versions of iTunes, was disabled in the last version, but bizzarely made it back in the current one. Note that this method isn't supported. In the near future there will be an officially supported way of making ringtones from songs in your iTunes library, currently available for the US iPhone but not for the UK one yet.)
3x. Check (Of course! If it didn't sync with iTunes it wouldn't be much of an iPod! Music, Photos, Videos, Podcasts - including video podcasts...the whole shebang)

That answer your question? :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions :D

One last question - will it sync over bluetooth? Seems a shame to carry around a dock/cable too..

Last edited:
Associate
For the people that returned their iPhones under the 14 day return period (more specifically to the O2 online store...), how long did it take for them to cancel your account, issue you a refund for the handset and sort out direct debits etc?

Soldato
For the people that returned their iPhones under the 14 day return period (more specifically to the O2 online store...), how long did it take for them to cancel your account, issue you a refund for the handset and sort out direct debits etc?

I returned mine as you know and you have emailed me about this.

I had to ring them up and make sure it was cancelled as just taking the phone back didnt cancel the contract for some reason. He said my account would be put back to zero but it hasnt as of yet. I'll wait a couple more days and then ill ring them again.

O2 is such a farce. There email service is dire with the people on the other end not understanding what you need and emailing you stuff that you didnt ask about.

I just cant get this damned phone cancelled, it's so annoying! Im in arrears with them at the moment and its annoying me.

Josh

Associate
I returned mine as you know and you have emailed me about this.

Indeed, i thought you were all sorted from your last email though tbh! According to O2 my account has been cancelled but their "My Bills" part of the site still says im going to be charged £36 via DD on the 5th of this month.

Have phoned and emailed them a lot and as you say their responses to emails are crazy sometimes...the response being completely irrelevant to what you asked and quite obviously a template they copied'n'pasted into an email to fob you off!

I have a slight regret ordering an iPhone, not sure about you...

Soldato
Indeed, i thought you were all sorted from your last email though tbh! According to O2 my account has been cancelled but their "My Bills" part of the site still says im going to be charged £36 via DD on the 5th of this month.

Have phoned and emailed them a lot and as you say their responses to emails are crazy sometimes...the response being completely irrelevant to what you asked and quite obviously a template they copied'n'pasted into an email to fob you off!

I have a slight regret ordering an iPhone, not sure about you...

Sorry if that first sentence came out a bit sharp. Didnt mean it to. :)

Where does it say your account is cancelled? My "View My Bill" Section is saying I'm in arrears which is annoying as i took the damn phone back.

I do regret rushing out on the day of release and getting one. It's just a lot of hassle that i would rather not have. I emailed them saying that i couldn't change my payment details and wanted to check which card i had used, they emailed me back with the god damn template from the FAQ. I was shocked!

Now i have one free of charge that my mother bought me when she was visiting, its much nicer. Not having to worry.

Josh

Last edited:
Associate
I guess maybe i got lucky with returns, as i had to return it to a central O2 warehouse that handled returns directly (got a freepost sticker with the despatch note from the online O2 store), but after 3-4 emails (one of which containing my scanned proof-of-postage) they confirmed they had received my phone and cancelled my account.

Nothing on the O2 site says its cancelled...it says i owe them £36 which they are taking on the 5th of this month, so i phoned up a minute ago and he confirmed that they will take this amount and then credit me in the next bill (so that i pay a little for the services i used when the phone was working)...which i guess is fair enough. Its annoying that i have to wait up to 28days for them to refund the cost of the iPhone though!

Lesson learnt about my trigger happy order finger...(utter lie)...

Edit: Not sure if this will help you mate

A useful response from O2! said:
However, if you want, you can contact our finance team on 08702 203 299 to cancel the Direct Debit on your account. They're available Monday to Friday between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm. Calls are charged at 20p/minute from your O2 Pay Monthly mobile phone.

Using that number they confirmed nothing is outstanding and cancelled the direct debit their end for me. I guess now all i have left is to wait for the refund for the iPhone itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom