iRacing

Man of Honour
Answers to Qs asked on iRacing rgds team league.

Team entries still being accepted - Yes

Follows official skippy calendar for tracks - Yes

Monday - Both team members score points (Top 20)

Interested? Would be cool to get a few 2-man teams in on it for a bit of banter

I would have been up for this but I couldn't make it on Mondays.

Man of Honour
^^

Nice video.

How come the lighting in that video looks so natural? Is that video special effects or is there some kind of graphics mod been added to the game?

My game looks nowhere near as good as that video from a lighting perspective.

Associate
I know he played around with some filters to give a more realistic look, I can ask him if you would like to know what he did.

Anyone racing the upcoming Daytona 24hr? I think I will be doing a bit with my team mates in the C7DP. Not a car I'd usually choose but I love Daytona Road and the GT3's are not as interesting for me.

I recently ran 200km of Nordschleife (24hour layout) as the opener to a league in the Aston, and have 8hours of Spa Night on the 18th so I'm all about the endurance events at the minute.

Soldato
I will be doing Daytona in the C7DP. The idea only came together last night chatting to some of the BSR guys, so I need to get some miles under the virtual tyres!

Not done an enduro yet on iRacing, done a couple of 12 hours with TORA on Forza previously. So I know I can do couple of hour stints no worries at 2am! More cars on Track will keep it interesting.

Soldato
Been discussing doing Daytona 24 hours, also in the C7

Not sure if I fancy waking up at 3am for a graveyard shift though!

Looking back at last year's I was surprisingly nervy in our 24hrs. We were in the 4th server (so high in the rankings) and I'd not done an awful lot of running for 5 or 6 years (a handful of iRacing races but nothing much). I did runs on practice servers and a few in the warmup before the race itself, but when it came to it I found I had the graphics turned up too high and when there were 3 or more cars directly in front of you the FPS dropped to around 40, which made it quite choppy (read scary) trying to negotiate through the traffic.

After sleep I found the 1am stint much more comfortable - I guess the natural tiredness helped relax me and I felt back to my old self, not really thinking and just driving on autopilot (which thankfully I've always been able to do). This was the 3rd or 4th 24hr race we'd done and more often than not I get a graveyard stint - it's usually quite relaxed, at that point aiming to get it through the night as much as anything, as the pace tends to come naturally at that point.

The hardest bit is getting your body as ready as possible by going to sleep earlier and earlier so you're not dead on your feet when you wake up. Le Mans is particularly bad for this - the first year we did it at Le Mans (NR2003 GTP mod) there were at least 2 accidents where people thought they were on a different straight and missed the corner, destroying the car when it creamed into the (solid) tyre barriers at nearly full speed, simply because the Mulsanne straights look similar and they got confused through tiredness. Obviously that's not going to happen at Daytona, but it shows the silly mistakes you can make if you don't try to do things properly!

Associate
Had good fun at Spa in the Skippy last night, was starting to lose faith after constantly getting wrecked at Miami but I'm feeling more positive now!

Man of Honour
I did around 8 skippy races on the trot on Sunday.

Got wrecked in three.

All the wrecks were when I was in the second split instead of the top one. I put it down to the drivers in the second split can be C and B licence and they might have the speed but not the enough experience to know when to follow and when to overtake. The draught doesn't help either. So they end up going side by side through Eau Rouge and Blanchimont. Which is were the wrecks happen, especially at the start of a race. It's so much easier to follow them through those corners and then overtake in the braking zone.

I think it's the Nurburgring GP this week, so a new track for me in the Skippy and at least I already own it.

Associate
I think with Spa you have assume every other drive is an idiot, top split or not

If it looks like you're going to be 2 wide through Eau Rouge just back out of it and get them down the straight

I think a lot of drivers just don't have any patience at Spa and that's what causes a lot of wrecks

No idea what Nurb will be like with all the reports of stuttering, I did some running in the MP4-30 in week 13 and it was fine for me but will have to see

Man of Honour
I lost count the amount of times i said over voice comms that some drivers should learn a little patience and they'd finish more races. They might also learn that trying to go two wide in fast corners slows down both drivers, this allows the cars in front to pull away and the cars behind to catch up.

I know patience at Spa got me from starting 17th (one off track at the final hairpin in qualifying) to finishing 6th.

Man of Honour
The Nurburgring GP track is an absolute joke.

Frame rates tank from 170 to 55 in places, especially turn one. And the whole lap is a stuttering mess. Not to mention the loading times.

That was with just 4 cars on the server and me being the only one on track. Race starts will be unplayable.

It should never have been released in this state, more so when you consider you really had to buy both tracks to get all the layouts.

Associate
I've done a couple of endurance events on The Ring 24h layout (Nordschleife & GP combined) the only way I've got it to run in an acceptable way is to remove any cockpit mirrors, remove far terrain, 2 pass trees, untick 2048 car textures, dynamic track effects and make particles off. Then I get acceptable frame rates through GP and Nord's is fine when you're past turn 2 and the GP track is out of sight. Worth a shot as the GP track is a good course in my opinion.

Man of Honour
I already run with cockpit mirrors off.

It's just not acceptable to have run the game on what amounts to minimum settings to get playable experience. It's not as if frame rates are low. With the settings I run normally my minimum is around 70 fps at GP layout.

Soldato
Just given the GP track a go, whilst the framerates are low it's generally playable for me, borderline but not really much worse than Spa for example.

Back
Top Bottom