iRacing

Associate
Andrew McP, i believe your an old iracing buddy of mine :)
We used to run practice skippy sessions just running lap after lap many years back wonder if you remember me , thats the only clue :p

Back on topic i havent played iracing in over 6 years i believe, i was one of the first 600 invited to the very first build, even spoke to John Henry on track over voice the first week.

Im keen to check out the sims progress , i watch streamers regularly and some of the live races etc but im keen to sample it for myself, i have over €350 worth of content waiting for me, im just wondering are there any reduction in cost offers going at the moment? Id like to give it a month or two to see if id like to commit further.

I was at B class when i left way back, is there any way i can check out what class i was at for sure without being subscribed?

Soldato
NTM v6, not changed much in the last 18 months. They learned some things about construction of tyres wth the Porsche and made some changes related to that.

NTM v7 is on the way, probably for Season 3. There's a Kaemmer blog post that's full of big words that was posted a couple weeks ago.

Associate
more bs from the man who thinks cold tyres are faster then...I wont hold my breath,been hearing the same thing since 2009 but I do miss the good racing on there..you just have to drive some of the cars wrong to be fast.

Soldato
I've been feeling the need to get back in to this lately as well. I started about 4 years ago and got seriously in to it, but I was concentrating too hard on increasing my IR to the point that the enjoyment disappeared and I was only doing 2-3 races a week where the SOF was high enough. I'm thinking that when I go back I'll be so rusty and out of practice that my IR will certainly drop, so I've made peace with it and don't care any more :)

That said I also want to upgrade my rig as using an old MOMO wheel just kills any immersion, so an OSW may be on the cards, but that in turn means a rig and pedals and probably re-decorating the computer room to make some space... the wife may not be happy about this.

Associate
If you wanted to be really funky about it you could design a rig with 80/20 that doubles up as both a work station and rig, as I have done.

I'm keeping a close eye on the forthcoming Assetto Corsa Competizione, hoping it can offer some semblance of competition to iRacing in form of ranked online racing.

Associate
yep my 90 deg corner desk doubles as my racestation too and works perfect for me with triples,my wheel just clamps where my mousemat would be and my pedals are solid back to the wall on a small pedestal..a rig would be nice for the immersion factor I guess.

ive changed a couple of things since then like the leg positions but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2TciqRnql8

Soldato
It's going good. Trying to broaden my horizons on the official races with the new IndyCar and the Lotus 79 as I fancy a challenge.

After three calendar years of the BSR Kia Pro series I've stepped back to a reserve. Don't have the energy for a 30 week season in me at the moment. GT3 league on a Monday is fun, even if I'm off the pace since some seriously quick guys turned up. And Ash Sutton.

Did some practise but missed the Le Mans this week. Only race I could make was Saturday am, the ridiculously early start and clash with the F1 qualifying counted most of the "team" guys out. I'd have jumped in for the last couple hours, but a 7am start for me was out of the question. So we did the BES and got 2nd in the lower split. :)

Associate
I've just recently finished my rig with a 80/20 set up which houses an OSW and I love it! Took me a little bit of time to dial the OSW but now that i have I would never go back to a consumer wheel. 80/20 frame stuff is amazing too, my design had to change a little from my initial plan but profile can be changed easily plus its extremely sturdy. Next big spend will be getting rid of my Fanatec V1 pedals as they are on the way out.

Currently doing the Gt1 season and had my first race yesterday, I hope participation keeps up because the vette and Aston are loads of fun and the season has a good selection of tracks

Soldato
Participation has gone up since Fanatec are offering a prize that all those who do the full season are eligible to win. I've not seen the track list, hopefully it doesn't die off after a few weeks...

Not that I'll be racing it, don't have a GT1 car...

Soldato
I've just recently finished my rig with a 80/20 set up which houses an OSW and I love it!
Bit of an odd question, but does it squeak? I've seen a couple of YT vids and streamers who have an 80/20 rig and I swear I can hear it squeaking when under high load. With a young daughter in bed when I'll be racing that'd need to be fixed somehow.

Not that I'll be racing it, don't have a GT1 car...
You should get the Aston. That was my favourite car before my hiatus.

Associate
Bit of an odd question, but does it squeak? I've seen a couple of YT vids and streamers who have an 80/20 rig and I swear I can hear it squeaking when under high load. With a young daughter in bed when I'll be racing that'd need to be fixed somehow.

You should get the Aston. That was my favourite car before my hiatus.

No mate as long as you have everything tightened up it shouldn't squeak well mine doesn't

Damn right the Aston and the Vette are monsters! I really wished IR added more "vintage" GT1 cars to the service

Soldato
Andrew McP, i believe your an old iracing buddy of mine :)
I think my mother's dementia might be catching, because I can barely remember how to turn on my PC these days, let alone folk I might have lapped with years ago! :) I was definitely a Skip driver though, but most of my 'racing' was done after night shifts, when it was mostly Aussies and Yanks with a sleeping disorder online. Our membership times definitely overlapped though (I was in the first public wave, I think) so our paths must have crossed, if only in the UK forum section.

I'm thinking that when I go back I'll be s o rusty and out of practice that my IR will certainly drop, so I've made peace with it and don't care any more :)
One of the reasons I pulled the plug in the end is that I just couldn't relax like that. I wanted to, I really did. But I could never find a way of balancing the high standards needed for safe racing and the 'intense relaxation' I'm looking for when I fire up a sim. I want it immersive enough that I feel I'm driving a real car, requiring concentration, but not so immersive that I feel I want to punch the guy who just shunted me off the track. AI never made me rage-quit a game, but iRacing certainly did!

In the end I had to say "it's not you, iRacing, it's me" and we went our separate ways for the sake of my blood pressure. I'd still pay a small sub for forums and offline racing against AI though. Maybe soon, who knows. I will never buy another piece of content though. Honest [hides crossed fingers behind back]. Been there, done that, have the extremely large & dusty collection to prove it.

Having said that, some of the best fun I've had on iRacing was in Wk13s with new content when everyone's new, enthusiastic, and relatively relaxed. iRacing was always a mess of contradictions for me. I loved it. I hated it. I vowed not to spend anything. I spent a small fortune. And four years after I left I'm still watching threads about it. I'm obviously not cured of my iProblem.

Scarred for life maybe? :->

Back
Top Bottom