iRacing

Soldato
@N0ddie Are you not tempted to move up a tier series now ? You seem to have the basics down from your results now. I would advise against staying in rookie mazdas too long and just cultivating IR.
Rookies it not necessarily representative of the type of racing you will be facing in officials and if you get too high an IR there when you do make the climb up the ladder your probably going to end up too high a split and be off the pace a bit.

Soldato
@N0ddie Are you not tempted to move up a tier series now ? You seem to have the basics down from your results now. I would advise against staying in rookie mazdas too long and just cultivating IR.
Rookies it not necessarily representative of the type of racing you will be facing in officials and if you get too high an IR there when you do make the climb up the ladder your probably going to end up too high a split and be off the pace a bit.

I'm in a somewhat similar position, but decided I will 'finish' rookie mazdas this season (as in, get 8 weeks done) and then switch over to advanced next season (although done a couple). Same with TCR and moving up to IMSA next season...

Soldato
IMSA is a real learning curve. Not really how fast people are but your real race pace is how good you manage the traffic, that applies to both LMP2 + GT3.
It's one unfortunately practice doesn't really help, to learn how to manage traffic well it has be in a race situation.

@N0ddie don't fancy the skip barber? Formula V is another Rookie series while the Skippy get's decent numbers most of the time and a good car to learn in.

Associate
How the hell do you brake hard in a TCR car and not lock up the brakes? I've managed to get to within a second of the fast guys but cannot get consistent on the brakes.

Soldato
How the hell do you brake hard in a TCR car and not lock up the brakes? I've managed to get to within a second of the fast guys but cannot get consistent on the brakes.

They have got TC right?
The rear should be loose on the TCRs, to drive them fast you mash the brakes and use the very loose rear end to rotate the car through the corner or they don't want to turn. It takes a lot of getting used to be fair. I was going between them and GT3s at one point and it always took me a bit to get back into the grove.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've come to realise I don't think I can progress my D license without buying a car?
You can if you get to the auto promote boundary (not sure what it is at the moment) but if you don't want to buy a car then getting C license will not matter as it only will allow you to drive cars which you have to buy anyways.
Saying that Radical is a C series and free right?

Caporegime
You can if you get to the auto promote boundary (not sure what it is at the moment) but if you don't want to buy a car then getting C license will not matter as it only will allow you to drive cars which you have to buy anyways.
Saying that Radical is a C series and free right?

Not sure, there's two cars in C I can play with bit can't 'race' with but I'm presuming that's because I'm not in the right license category, which throws me off as I don't have a vehicle in D I'm allowed to use :D

It was more of an 'why is this' question than 'i want this' at the moment. But thank you.

I'm not looking the current Mazda MX-5 track, the Jefferson short or whatever it is

Soldato
Not sure, there's two cars in C I can play with bit can't 'race' with but I'm presuming that's because I'm not in the right license category, which throws me off as I don't have a vehicle in D I'm allowed to use :D

It was more of an 'why is this' question than 'i want this' at the moment. But thank you.

I'm not looking the current Mazda MX-5 track, the Jefferson short or whatever it is

Licenses in iracing aren't how good you are. It's just a very vague this person it just about safe enough to drive at the next tier. If you just want to stick with free content for now I wouldn't worry about it.
In the D series now, there's a few free car series they probably aren't at free tracks though.
The free content you get with IRacing isn't designed to get you part way up the ladder. It's just enough to get you through rookies to D and then for you to decide if you want to then go all in and buy content.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Licenses in iracing aren't how good you are. It's just a very vague this person it just about safe enough to drive at the next tier. If you just want to stick with free content for now I wouldn't worry about it.
In the D series now, there's a few free car series they probably aren't at free tracks though.
The free content you get with IRacing isn't designed to get you part way up the ladder. It's just enough to get you through rookies to D and then for you to decide if you want to then go all in and buy content.

Ta for clarifying.

Either way I'm enjoying it, there's enough free content to sink many hours in so I should be fine.

I presume they don't do 'packs'? You just have to purchase and download what you need as and when.

Soldato
Ta for clarifying.

Either way I'm enjoying it, there's enough free content to sink many hours in so I should be fine.

I presume they don't do 'packs'? You just have to purchase and download what you need as and when.

No, they don't do packs. I think a series pack would be helpful though
However saying that you get a discount if you buy multiple content at the same time (applies to tracks and cars ). Been a while since I bought much but I think there's a discount when buying 3 things, 5 and maybe 7 (not sure on this one) at a time.
This is why planning what series you want to run ends cheaper as you can buy all the tracks/car at the same time and get a discount. There's also further discount after you own a certain amount of total items.

Caporegime
No, they don't do packs. I think a series pack would be helpful though
However saying that you get a discount if you buy multiple content at the same time (applies to tracks and cars ). Been a while since I bought much but I think there's a discount when buying 3 things, 5 and maybe 7 (not sure on this one) at a time.
This is why planning what series you want to run ends cheaper as you can buy all the tracks/car at the same time and get a discount. There's also further discount after you own a certain amount of total items.

Aye I heard about the discount in that regard you'd just think they'd allow a series pack as you put it.

Anyway, shall be on tonight at some point now doubt

Soldato

TCR all about being smooth on your throttle and brake. When braking into a tightish corner hit the brake hard but then really bleed off that braking more so than you normally would to the apex, just keep a little brake applied at the end just to keep a little weight on the fronts.

Smooth and momentum.

Caporegime
Aye I heard about the discount in that regard you'd just think they'd allow a series pack as you put it.

Anyway, shall be on tonight at some point now doubt

Just set a 55.063 on Summit Point Raceway - Jefferson Circuit in the MX-5, not bad for me. Was losing time somewhere and I think I was over braking and not accelerating early out of one of the corners, seems to have helped anyway.

Soldato
TCR all about being smooth on your throttle and brake. When braking into a tightish corner hit the brake hard but then really bleed off that braking more so than you normally would to the apex, just keep a little brake applied at the end just to keep a little weight on the fronts.

Smooth and momentum.
To be fast on iracing you have to do a lot of trail braking but TCR is one of the cars that needs it the most to get any kind of pace out of it. Your probably using the pedals to turn the car more than the steering wheel lol

Last edited:
Associate
Fudge me the TCR cars are hard to drive fast. Not like any real world front wheel drive car I've driven on track before. Not many people actually race them. In the 3 races I done last night there were just a couple over 100 registered for each session. I got shafted with top split every time (I'm on 2.2k but SOF of the races was 3.6k or more). Finishing way down the order in 14th/15th unfortunately isn't losing me enough iRating to go down a split either (Finished the last race last night with a +1 iRating despite finishing so low down.

Back
Top Bottom