Is East London a dangerous place to live?

Soldato
Numerous areas are absolutely fine I've lived in Richmond, Twickenham and Putney over the past few years. All very safe, very green and really nice areas to live.
Fair enough - but I'm guessing the neds can't afford to live there (and neither can your average Joe) :)

Last edited:
Soldato
No, the whole of East London is not awful. Yes, you were unlucky. Could people be any less specific as well... "East London" is a massive generic statement of a location. Huge number of places could be described as that.

Load of nonsense.

If you think London is a tip, ever been to Basingstoke? Or Aldershot?

Both places are fine. Massive negativity towards both places which I've never understood. Both had loads of new estates go up in the last couple of decades. Basingstoke has some rough parts like many towns. It's had much more investment than some. Do you remember it before the Festival place investment?
Aldershot...people think of the town centre which is still poor and had massive under investment due to neighbouring towns getting all the budget like Farnborough, just because it's got the prestigious Airport. They just spent 2 million building a cycle path to nowhere and widening a road over a 100 yard stretch, to make it easier to get in and out off the a331 due to the airshow which happens every 2 years. Took them nearly 2 years to do as well.
Aldershot will always have the army town stigma, but it's generally fine outside of the town centre with loads of different types of housing and a few green spaces.

I think people like to knock different places based on such insignificant experiences and not really knowing places. I dislike that negativity and it just helps to bring down the UK. If you focus in on shoplifting and all the bad things, anywhere looks bad. Crime is up everywhere.

Soldato
On Saturday, my wife and I and my child went to East London, Newham to do a little shopping and break our fast.
We were there for nearly 3 hours from 3.30pm. Here are the series of events in that time.
1. As we exited the market area 4 youths were fleeing from a bakery called G____ holding numerous baguettes and drinks.
2. I was nearly hit by a vehicle that veered at speed into the wrong side of the road.
3. An e-scooter came onto the pavement and brushed me. I shouted at the youth, "you *** if you feel you must swear, you should fully star it out, not just partially ***” The Asian youth approached me and started swearing. When I became aggressive he moved away and joined a group of youths. I walked away hastily.
4. We passed a jewellery store which had lots of white smoke emerging from the open door. Shoppers were running out. I think a smoke bomb may have been used.
5. I was ordering food from a fast food store called k__. My wife was sitting upstairs waiting for me. When I came upstairs my wife informed me that two men tried to take someone's handbag.
Is this typical or was I just unlucky?

This is an episode of Eastenders I'd actually watch.

Associate
London generally is a tip, I’m originally for Islington and even though it’s generally regarded as a “nice” borough - it’s still a dump.

Feral gangs and useless policing, hated it at the time but very glad my parents moved to Hampshire when I was 15.
I live further north in enfield, I've never seen an area of islington that's what I'd consider nice, expensive yes, but just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's good. Then again, enfield has some crap areas too.
This is an episode of Eastenders I'd actually watch.
I worked with a woman in her 60s about 10 years ago, sounded straight out of eastenders, told me how some car dealer sold her son a cut and shut car. He then went on to have an accident in it not too long later where they realised, he was very lucky to be alive. She said her sons and husband went back and took him for a little ride - smashed his knee caps and left him in a field. It must have shown on my face that I thought she was joking so she then proceeded to justify it. That made me feel like I'd just entered eastenders.

Soldato
Every City in the UK is dangerous and has been since before we were born, back in the early 90`s my mate was on a swing in a playing field for kids in Manchester ( he was about 12 years old ) and another kid comes up to him and says thats my swing, get off.
My mate said no so this other kid walks off. He comes back with a group of lads and they beat my mate so badly that it made the front page of a Manchester news paper.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Yes East London is to be avoided. I've lived in West London all my life and will never go East unless really necessary.

Saying that, even parts of West are starting to become similar, whole city has just gone downhill.

A certain demographic (yes black people) seems to commit most of the crimes, so best avoid places where there are many of them.

Soldato
Cannot be that many years left until the last of London's rotten apples are moved out to other area's of the country and London becomes a safe place to visit and live in....

Associate
Cannot be that many years left until the last of London's rotten apples are moved out to other area's of the country and London becomes a safe place to visit and live in....
Just need a couple overpriced coffee shops and hipsters willing to pay £1,500 pm to live in a skip in someone’s zone 2 backyard.

Permabanned

You’re less likely to be the victim of crime in London (14.9%) than the national average (15.7%).

Having said that, I used to live in Newham and I certainly have some stories. It’s incredible how the area has resisted gentrification despite all of the investment pumped into the area for the Olympics.

Soldato
Normally I would say 'you get what you vote for' but in this case it doesn't matter, Labour, Tory governments have come and gone but the crime ridden streets of East London remain. The only thing that has changed is housing affordability where it's got so bad not even the local villains can't afford to live there anymore so London ends up exporting all it's problem families to surrounding councils. With the exceptions of Gidea Park, Isle of Dogs and the Docklands East London for the most part is the pits, as a general rule of thumb if the area has a Labour MP then it's probably a crappy area.

Last edited:
Soldato
LGidea Park, Isle of Dogs and the Docklands - East London for the most part is the pits

As someone who lives in the Docklands - the above is very true. Even the Docklands/Isle of Dogs has it's issues - windows of the cars parked on the street in front of my building almost every other night by some yobbo.

London is gentrifying very slowly - Olympics helped, but what they did is build pockets of gentrification amongst the pits.

Soldato
Load of nonsense.

If you think London is a tip, ever been to Basingstoke? Or Aldershot?
Both of them, never been in fear of getting stabbed in either.
You’re less likely to be the victim of crime in London (14.9%) than the national average (15.7%).

Having said that, I used to live in Newham and I certainly have some stories. It’s incredible how the area has resisted gentrification despite all of the investment pumped into the area for the Olympics.
What type of crime though?
The highest stabbing rates are metropolitan and west midlands (London and Birmingham)

Back
Top Bottom