Is it now worth moving from plasma to something LED?

Might be some clarity on future of hdr10+ and DV.

I wouldn't expect this to have an 'outcome' like Blu Ray vs HD DVD where one format dies - i'd expect both formats to hang around, some kit will use HDR10+ and some will get the DV license. Consumers will just buy to their preference.

I don’t expect HDR+ to die, but the situation is almost the same as Blu-ray vs hddvd, in almost the same way that the spec with the higher licence cost is also the most supported.

DV just has far more support it’s easily becoming the industry standard.

If you buy from Curry's you should look for the following 7 days cause they will price match and refund difference. And if you buying online you should check out for 14 days cause you can return things for that long so can generally get them to refund the difference.

After that yeah ignore any sales and such and head in sand.

Thanks for everyone's help. It's been insightful

I will put this purchase off because
A) prices are much higher than November
B) I want QD-OLED
C) the issue with DV/HDR10+
D) the obvious there's only one obvious choice. A95K

I'm sure that TV will be much much cheaper by November 2023.

So yet again I'm putting things off. But at least I suspect I'll be blown away jumping from an old plasma to the latest technology

One of my fixed rate saver will mature in November as well. Ripe for being raided for black Friday! And paying for my annual adventure holiday.

Last edited:
I don’t expect HDR+ to die, but the situation is almost the same as Blu-ray vs hddvd, in almost the same way that the spec with the higher licence cost is also the most supported.

DV just has far more support it’s easily becoming the industry standard.
I had this conversation with our projectionist at work and I'm sure most know this.. but Netflix, Disney+ and AppleTV+ all support DV. So it's pretty much done and dusted. He also told me he has compared the same restored movie (I forget which right now) as a 4k HDR10+ compared to the 4k DV restoration (one was a UK disc, the other US) and the DV was noticeably better. I trust his judgement.

I had this conversation with our projectionist at work and I'm sure most know this.. but Netflix, Disney+ and AppleTV+ all support DV. So it's pretty much done and dusted. He also told me he has compared the same restored movie (I forget which right now) as a 4k HDR10+ compared to the 4k DV restoration (one was a UK disc, the other US) and the DV was noticeably better. I trust his judgement.
I trust my judgement.

You can trust me

You'll never need more than 8K of RAM in a computer

Similar situation here.

Currently still have our Panasonic V10 42 inch plasma going strong, but since moving house I know have the opportunity to retire this to the family room and get a nice shiny OLED for the living room :)

Thinking a 65inch although 77 would probably be ok in the room as well, but the budget starts going up then…
Bumping the thread, I think the time has come to make the purchase.

I’m after a Panasonic LZ2000 in 65inch as given the estimated prices of the new MZ2000 the increase in cost is just silly.

V10 will be moved to family room and can service its time out there. Been a cracking TV and still looks good after 13 years. Sadly since moving house the distance to the TV has nigh on doubled and with older age kicking in the eyesight could do with a bigger screen!

Last edited:
TV ordered :). Now just wait for it and the new TV unit to arrive.
That will be a nice one. I've got a Sony A80J and it looks great, especially with 4K blu-rays (Panasonic UB820). Just moved it so we're sitting now closer, size/distance does make a big difference!

TV arrived and got setup this week, loving it so far.

And no regrets going for the current model and not waiting for the new MZ2000 for £1500 more!

I get with the MLA tech the MZ will be brighter, but my god this thing will burn retinas so certainly don’t need any more brightness!

Not had the chance to really give it a test on the audio front yet, will have to wait until next week when I’ve got the house to myself.

Last edited:
Not had the chance to really give it a test on the audio front yet, will have to wait until next week when I’ve got the house to myself.
some people have had issues with the speakers reacting against the rear panel at certain frequencies causing sound issues.

some people have had issues with the speakers reacting against the rear panel at certain frequencies causing sound issues.
Had the chance to make things loud today, can confirm no issues at all thankfully :)

For a TV this thing can go loud, may add a sub at a later date but for now it’s all good.

ive been tempted to get this model or the LZ1500 myself.
unfortunately our tv is right next to a radiator and ive heard thats a no no with oled tvs.

Think its probably worse if its above a radiator, our OLED in the living room has been next to, but slightly above our log burner and hasn't suffered any ill effects

Back
Top Bottom