Is it now worth moving from plasma to something LED?

Some basic helpful info:

Main 2 TV technologies:

LCD (LED/QLED/ULED etc - uses an LED backlight)
OLED (QD-OLED/OLED)

For a good HDR experience, you want as many dimming zones as possible. These control the light output within specified regions. The smaller the region, the more accurate the brightness control is.

LCDs use a full array local dimming to achieve this. Newer displays use a term called "Mini LED" - this is a FALD system. These will always be LCD TVs. More expensive the TV for a given model year, the more dimming zones it will have, usually.

OLEDs are self emissive, so the dimming zones = number of pixels. Hence why OLEDs offer a more precise black level without blooming/backlight bleed. They also transition between different colours more quickly = better motion clarity (important for gaming)

Due to the self emissive nature of OLEDs, though, they're prone to uneven pixel degradation = "burn in" - this is where some pixels are illuminated at a consistent level for longer than others. This can happen to LCDs too, where the backlight degrades in certain areas, but it doesn't cause image retention.

I am happy with the downsides of OLED, because the experience of viewing content with pixel perfect dimming far exceeds (the downsides).

LG OLEDs use a WRGB subpixel layout to get brighter.

Samsung QD-OLEDs use an RGB quantum dot filter to increase light transmission efficiency over the top of blue sub pixels (naturally brighter) to get brighter. This typically works better, because using a white pixel to add more brightness can reduce the saturation of an image as it gets brighter. Equally, it makes them less susceptible to burn in.

2023 LG OLEDs use a new technology called Micro Lens Array (MLA) - these are little lenses over the top of the pixels to direct more of the light, letting it scatter less and, hence, internally reflect less, resulting it more light passing through the filter.

I'd either get a 2022 QD OLED or a 2023 OLED of whichever is cheaper - the difference is substantial between a 2022 QD OLED and a 2022 LG OLED, based on my experience going from an LG CX to a Samsung S95B.

Last edited:
Been watching a few reviews. Looks like a good version of the s95b is the winner.
The Sony is the best but not if you include the cost factor.

I will keep a look out on the complaints but the s95b does look impressive

Can someone elaborate on dolby vision (or lack there of) and if this is important when looking at tvs over 1k?

Looks like. Netflix uses DV and Samsung has hdr10+. Maybe Netflix will get hdr10+ content and it will be fine? :D

Last edited:
Yeah one of the biggest draw backs of Samsung TVs is no dolby vision. Meaning anything streaming in such like from Disney+ will fall back to SDR even on a HDR TV.

Edit: bluray content and such isn't issue as it falls back to HDR but you do still loose tonal mapping as it doesn't fall back to HDR+ unless specifically stated.

Last edited:
Yeah one of the biggest draw backs of Samsung TVs is no dolby vision. Meaning anything streaming in such like from Disney+ will fall back to SDR even on a HDR TV.

Edit: bluray content and such isn't issue as it falls back to HDR but you do still loose tonal mapping as it doesn't fall back to HDR+ unless specifically stated.
Are you sure?

I'm almost certain DV has a HDR base layer that it can fall back on. Even on streaming services.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

I'm almost certain DV has a HDR base layer that it can fall back on. Even on streaming services.

Disney+ didn't last time intook a look. They hadn't added the HDR base layer and just had the DV. Might have changed last year mind when I last looked but was frustrating at time.

Apple+ was also the same once upon a time but I believe that also sorted. But it is something to consider. I'd rather just have DV on the TV knowing its there.

Only really concerned with Netflix.
But I agree maybe it's better to wait for a better priced offering with DV?

Although obviously not as dramatic as hddvd and bluray these proprietary aspects are annoying for consumers.

I assume DV is a like a proprietary hdr?

Last edited:
OK, although maybe not as deal breaking as hddvd and blu Ray it does seem it would be crazy to buy a TV with just one of these formats if the one you get goes the way of hddvd

Just read a good source which brought me fully up to speed.

Sony... Only DV & HDR10
Samsung... But only HDR10 & HDR10+

Last edited:
Only really concerned with Netflix.
But I agree maybe it's better to wait for a better priced offering with DV?

Although obviously not as dramatic as hddvd and bluray these proprietary aspects are annoying for consumers.

I assume DV is a like a proprietary hdr?
I was worried about the lack of DV but it's a complete non issue Netflix supports HDR10 as well.
Amazon Prime is all HDR10+ it all looks great so don't worry about no Dolby Vision.

I was very tempted by the Sony but the double price at the time was just too much. I feel an idiot now because the S95B is a stunning TV and you'll love it.

Sure if you had Dolby Vision Vs HDR10 running next to each other you might notice a difference but not a £1k difference anger not enough to worry about.

Last edited:
Very interested in this thread. I have fond memories of borrowing my Dad's car to get down to Richer Sounds Kingston to nab the last Panasonic GT60 in London area (January sales, whatever year that was). That is still going strong and people still comment on the picture.

Now, we moved into our first little house last year and are undergoing renovations. Meaning the TV is fine for now, but the traditional living room layout (see thread) means I'm highly likely to mount the TV to the wall in the alcove, and probably look for a soundbar that I can attach underneath. My plasma is so damn heavy it scares me somewhat. And an extra £1k on a new TV seems like peanuts compared to what we've spent on building work :p Would I be nuts not to upgrade? (It'll be paired with a Marantz SR5012)

Last edited:
You just have to disable the motion smoothing setting to remove the soap opera effect, most easily done by setting it to filmmaker mode.

As for black levels, OLED is still massively better than plasma in that regard.

not sure massively but OLEDs are obviously a bit better as can go to completely 0

depends on the plasma though - on my ZT65 with all lights off maybe if you look really really hard you can just about see the screen if display a completely black image but when playing content it looks like perfect black

Been watching a few reviews. Looks like a good version of the s95b is the winner.
The Sony is the best but not if you include the cost factor.

I will keep a look out on the complaints but the s95b does look impressive

Can someone elaborate on dolby vision (or lack there of) and if this is important when looking at tvs over 1k?

Looks like. Netflix uses DV and Samsung has hdr10+. Maybe Netflix will get hdr10+ content and it will be fine? :D

If it doesn’t have Dolby vision, you’ll still get HDR, it just won’t have dynamic metadata

Thought it would bother me but I haven’t noticed at all

If it doesn’t have Dolby vision, you’ll still get HDR, it just won’t have dynamic metadata

Thought it would bother me but I haven’t noticed at all
Think I'll wait for the winter sales this coming November. Looks like prices are significantly higher than just a month ago.

Might be some clarity on future of hdr10+ and DV.
Also Sony might have come down in price by that time or might at least be some competition.

I've had the plasma this long. 10 more months is probably fine! :D

Think I'll wait for the winter sales this coming November. Looks like prices are significantly higher than just a month ago.

Might be some clarity on future of hdr10+ and DV.
Also Sony might have come down in price by that time or might at least be some competition.

I've had the plasma this long. 10 more months is probably fine! :D
By next November it'll be the new TVs on sale.
You just missed the sales. I got the 65" S95B for £1,300.

Back
Top Bottom