Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Caporegime
Wow someone has a lot of time on his hands.

Do you get out of the car and manually apply wheel chocks when you stop too ?

You said you come to a complete stop, whereupon this thing engages.
You then spend a few seconds (during which I can quite leisurely apply the handbrake) deciding whether to hover your foot over the accelerator and keep the clutch engaged, or take it out of gear and let the clutch out. After a while, it applies the handbrake.

But even if what you say is correct - So ******* what?
This device, probably costing a couple hundred quid as an optional extra, does absolutely nothing I can't do myself when I stop... and saves you a WHOPPING 1 or 2 seconds of time, meaning you can SPEED away off the lights and be right up the ******** of the car in front so much faster than me.... not that it matters, since the traffic around you is only doing 20mph anyway, because this is real life not a racetrack.

Last post as it clear you commented, and got it wrong twice, so its pretty pointless now. You commented you wouldn't want one before you admitted you had to go and look up what they did.

But, if your in stop start traffic and constantly applying and removing the handbrake, enjoy. I prefer to not have to bother. Just the same as I prefer a washing machine rather than using the local stream to wash my clothes ;)

Its not a freaking optional extra. Its completely standard, I didn't pay a bean for it.

Your utterly fixated with speeding away from the lights, but thats not when it makes any difference really. Its when your in traffic, particularly on a slope.

People are probably using them around you all the time and yet, you would never notice.

Just working with what you give me.
But whichever way, you have STILL failed to explain why it's superior.

Where, exactly did I say this?
Not post 85, perhaps......? "I had to look up Hold Assist. I don't think I ever want a modern Audi, after reading that!!"

'After'....
Yeah.

Moving one little lever a few inches is THAT much of a bother for you...... but of course you're not lazy, even though you find it horrible being without it.
Yeah, pull the other one. You were perfectly fine without one beforehand...

As of 6th Feb 2018, and depending on model/trim/etc:
Hill Hold Assist is included in some Comfort and Tech packs.
Hold Assist is an optional extra, costing £90.

If it were completely standard, every car would have it.

I don't commute along the Hardknott Pass, so don't have the need for it... but having driven that Pass several times, and even ridden it on my bike which doesn't even have a handbrake, I still wouldn't want one.
But next you'll be telling me I need neural link auto-indicators, because moving one finger is such an effort and has such a detrimental effect on my driving focus.....!

So?
That doesn't in any way create a need or desire for one. I see people using Fitbits and there are probably even more that I never notice... I still don't want or need one of them, either.

Yeah, keep laughing. The more automatic **** you create the market for, the sooner you'll justify removing the human element. Then you'll be moaning that you can't drive at all.

Are you ginger, you seem to like being beaten like a ginger stepchild.

Go to Audi, go to TT see standard spec. (they abbreviate the two on the website under the hill hold assist)

Its standard for EBC models, or was when I was looking a year ago.

Just quickly looked, but apart from the A1, they i think all have electrinic and say "Keeps the car stationary once it comes to a stop on uphill and downhill gradients. Remains activated for an unlimited length of time and allows the driver to pull away smoothly"

Where as the A1, which I believe only has a manual handbrake has, "After the foot brake has been pressed with the vehicle stationary, the brake pressure that is built up is maintained for a short time after the brake is released and allows the driver to pull away smoothly uphill"

None of the cars I looked at were anything other than base models with no packs or anything included. Taking the main range sellers

A1 https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/a1/a1-sportback/equipment.html#
A3 https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/a3/a3-sportback/equipment.html#
A5 https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/a3/a3-sportback/equipment.html#
TT https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/tt/tt-coupe/equipment.html

Not an option across those models, maybe there is some obscure model thats not updated. Was the same a year ago when I was looking.

I believe every car wll have it soon as its progress.

Soldato
So many people with poverty spec cars (those with auto dip). You want split beam LED or Laser. The system in the BMW was genuinely the best headlight I've ever used. It never dazzled, was never late to dip, sometimes didn't even dip, and more often that not assisted those road users you were either behind, or those coming towards by lighting their kerbs up too.

It was (is) proprietarily brilliant compared to almost every other manufacturer

Soldato
So many people with poverty spec cars (those with auto dip). You want split beam LED or Laser. The system in the BMW was genuinely the best headlight I've ever used. It never dazzled, was never late to dip, sometimes didn't even dip, and more often that not assisted those road users you were either behind, or those coming towards by lighting their kerbs up too.

It was (is) proprietarily brilliant compared to almost every other manufacturer

Quite excited about getting this in my new car (although the Audi version, not BMW).

It'll have auto-hold as well, obviously. Couldn't live without that ;)

Soldato
I'm not even going to attempt to start addressing ttttassskkkerrmmmasttttters points.

Let's just say it's a good thing your opinions fall well into the realms of the minority.

Soldato
Quite excited about getting this in my new car (although the Audi version, not BMW).

It'll have auto-hold as well, obviously. Couldn't live without that ;)

Sadly, the Audi one (in the comparable S6) is nowhere near as good. It's still good, but not as good. I have more flashes and false positives from this than with the BMW unit

Man of Honour
Nope, the numerous the autos I've driven and drive have a park brake and/or handbrake, use of which extinguishes the brake lights.

On my car when the auto hold system applies the handbrake the brake lights are illuminated.

No auto driver in the universe will put the car into Park in a queue. Intact the owners manual generally advises against it.

Back
Top Bottom