It was standard equip, I didn't buy it

Do you get it yet? You constantly keep dribbling the wrong info that somehow I speced it, I didn't
Its basically std across the audi range, as most normal people see the benefit, because when they drive a car with it they suddenly find out that its just there doing its thing with no drama and it just works

Honestly I don't care if you don't get it. Some people struggle with things, some people hate change, some people can never be wrong. Apart from when they are ;)

I am more than happy not to have to keep applying the hand brake constantly, I will leave that to the luddites and people driving archaic old bangers ;)

Once someone can legitimately step in and show their system far outperforming humans, the driving wheel will be gone.

Sounds fine. Can take the fun to the track/stage and free up the roads from human drivers thinking they can be better than AI at everything.
Where do I sign up.

I'm 5' 11" and I hated it.

Who cares, your short man syndrome seems to be showing through though :p Or are you fat? I guess fat people may find it cramped
But shock horror that cars designed to be small are in fact small. I bet you would complain a hummer is big as well.

Neither should driving an automatic for a while and then going back to a manual, yet many people find it a serious problem for some strange reason... It's almost as if their skills perish, like all the manuals say they will, but that can't possibly be true, right?

Its nothing to do with skills its to do with concious and subconcious.

When you are skilled and familar with something the subconcious can take over, so you can actively think about one thing and subconciously the other thing can be thought about by the brain.
But in order for the subconcious to be able to do this you have to be trained/familiar, until you reach that level you have to actively think about it.
Its why you get times when you can go "oh thats wierd I dont remember doing that yet I did"

When you get into an unfamiliar car you have to conciously think to do things differently, a clear simple example is auto vs manual. But even things like indicators being on a diff side, or driving on the other side of the road have the
same impact.
When I first got keyless start (oh I bet you love to hate that as well) I kept finding myself getting into the car and going "oh keys in my hand now what do I do" now I don't they are in my pocket. When I drive my oterh halves car which still has to have teh key inserted I find I have pressed to open, but I have kept the keys in my pocket and have to shuffle around a bit to get them out and insert them. I havent lost the skill of being able to insert a car key, but my muscle memory (ie familiarity covered by my subconcious) is to not need to hodl the keys in my hand to be able to insert them when I get in. If i drive her car for the weekend say, by the end of the weekend I have dveloped the uber skill of remembering to have the key in my hand when I get into the car. OMG I am awesome ;) Funny but I have zero issue using the handbrake, but it does seem all a bit unnecessary ;)

There is a really good episode of that morgan freeman program through the wormhole where they show drone pilots being trained by stimulating the subconcious area of the brain that the expert drone pilots use for target identification as it shortcuts the learning time to go from concious to subconcious.

Associate
LED headlights cheap? Check the price of Audi units ! Efficient LEDs as high power headlights? Why do they require cooling fans?
( My first post- can't see how to do the formal intro. Must be my age!)

Are you try'nna tell me you didn't choose to have this? [/Bruce Willis][/LetMeGetThisStraight-Trope]

Yes, how many times do I have to say, it was 100% completely and utterly just standard equipment.
You seem very hard of understanding on simple english.

What doesnt help I guess is that Audis website is really bad on these sorts of thing. Take apple car play for example, go to their website and try to work out if its standard equip.
Unless they have changed it of course since a year or so ago, its not, to get carplay you have to buy the tech pack, which gives you better options for everything that its adding. Yet there are plenty of people and reviews that make out its standard, because have to add the tech pack to enable it is illogical. There is a smartphone integration charge you also need to pay. But that doenst mean smart phone doesnt work as standard, you can stream, make/take calls, pick from your phone book etc without that integration.

Yeah, I don't even like Cruise Control, really. I do have that, but only use it to **** about for five minutes every few months.
You don't even want to know about my ICE/Infotainment system!!!!!

I think we found the common theme. Too difficult for you to understand so you prefer to live in some alternate land.

But I DO get why some people like it, adore it, couldn't ever drive without it, etc etc.....
I just do not share their enthusiasm for it... that seems to be a problem for you.

Your seeming very confused here.
Its a great simple piece of tech, that works really well
You were the one saying you wouldn't buy a car because of it. And yet at the same time being confused about what it was and what it did.
Your confusing me trying to correct your ignorance as a sales pitch. I frankly couldnt care if you never got to drive a car with one, but saying you would specifically not buy a car because of it seems beyond daft, especially when at that point in time you clearly didn't understand what it was.

Don't be stupid.... If you can't be trusted at 30mph on a road full of rules, do you really think the British Health & Safety nanny state will let you drive at whatever speed on a track with even fewer rules??!!
Who do you think you are, Lewis Hamilton?
All future racing will be conducted by robot, to avoid the potential for unnecessary human deaths... along with things like boxing, I imagine. OCUKers will instead be encouraged to 'execute boxing subroutine'.

Thats just your view. Excuse me whilst i consign it to the conspiracy idiot scrap bin.
You now seem to be arguing against evolution and progress.

I've not been called short in decades... feels very weird.

Everything is relative. Do you live in hobbiton?

QUOTE="ttaskmaster, post: 32277315, member: 152542"]If I were, I'd never fit behind the wheel. I am somewhat long-limbed and broad-shouldered, though. You need narrow girl-shoulders for most little cars, I find.
[/QUOTE]

Sound wierd to be that short and with those long limbs that you can't fit in a normal size car, do you have a body connecting these super long limbs?

It's part muscle memory, part motor control, part feel and part sub/conscious, actually...
I can be as conscious or subconscious as I like about drumming, or lockpicking, but without the support of muscle memory and feel developed and maintained with continual practice, my skills will not be as good as they should.
This is why people returning to an old skill and finding themselves rusty get frustrated and exclaim something like, "Come on, I used to be able to do this....".

Indeed true. I guess its all relative, most people manage to grasp the handbrake on their first driving lesson and pretty much rule it out as a skill they need to add to their CV of driving skills. I guess some people struggle and need to keep it to demonstrate their uber driving skills ;)

No, that's just my subconscious getting ahead of my conscious attention. Happens all the time with things where anticipation and forward planning are factors.

Your subconcious plays second to your concious and you cannot do both on the same task. If you are actively thinking about a task then your subconcious will not also think about it.

Well I didn't want to say anything, but......https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/keyless-car-relay-theft-advice-14496158 h
Two of our neighbours also lost theirs earlier this year.
I'm sure it's absolutely fantastic though, especially if it comes fitted as standard, and it's just us window-licking luddites with our old keys getting our cars nicked....

Thanks for yet again showing you fail to understand all the technology available and what it does. Its almost like I expected you to go off and get it wrong again ;)

There are 2 technologies, keyless start and keyless entry.
Keyless start means that once unlocked you don't need to insert the key, this is specifically what I mention. Again I am sure your going to go off and look to try to make out like its was somehow an option I paid for that comes as standard on my car, and point out that £75k+ Audis etc dont have it listed so must be using a manual key. But...

The article you linked was about keyless entry. These work that if your key is near the car you do not need to anything as the car will automatically unlock/lock as you walk away. These are the ones they are relaying the signals for as they are constantly polling.

Yeah, I can see why you'd like a car that alleviates the massively complicated task of sticking your key in the ignition... and you now just remind me of a Jasper Carrott sketch!!

To be honest again its not something I would ever have spent money on. And yet again I find myself going it just works in practice and you realise how awkward it feels when you have to go back to inserting a key.
People who have keyless entry probably think the same of us cheap skates who only have keyless start ;)

Funny how you never felt this way about handbrakes before getting this car, either... and how it's a feature you yourself said you'd not have chosen (kinda like I'm saying my own self).....

Thats not changed. But I learn and adapt, I have learned that its actually just one of them things that works, and when you go back to the previous version you find yourself going "jeez I didnt realise how such a minor thing can seemingly feel so significant". A good question would be would I actually pay for it as an option (confirming for the 300,000,000 time that I didn't), and I would probably say if it was cheap and I mean certainly less than £100 it would be a no brainer. If it was more than that I would consider, but then its practically standard equipe on anything worth buying so its a very moot point.

Associate
Soldato
If you don't practice a skill, you get rusty and slow. Driving and using a manual is no different.
bickering in threads you loose the ability to give a concise subtle knock-out - QED
fixed that ?

40948820560_3ae98b3a4f_o_d.jpg

Do they not have a device that creates it automatically?
They're just not consistent in their spec listing, neither in what a model even has available, nor in whether it's fitted as standard or optional. Even yacht pages in foreign languages are more consistent!

No idea, ask them if you care.
Whats actually far more likely is that its yet more evidence of a human failing where the result would probably be better if it was using some automated tool/AI ;)

What was that? Sorry, I stopped listening at the point when you mentioned Apple.....

True its yet more technology. precisely what year was it you found you had reached utopia and everything should stay exactly the same? 1890?
I'm surprised by your logic that you are using the internet, what was wrong with posting letters specifically?
Oh and to that effect, why not a pony and trap, why did you need of those new fangled motor vehicle things, far less mechanicals to go wrong.

You could say the same about half the crap that JML come out with.... doesn't mean you actually need it, though.

You seem to struggle badly with the definition of need or want, or see the advantage of etc.
I don't need most of the things my car can do. Needing them doesn't stop them being advantageous.
I don't need traction control, or heating, or a windscreen, or many other things. The whole experience of driving safely and in comfort would be seriously different however without this
Equally i dont need a cooker, i could light a fire in my garden, i don't need a dishwasher or a washing machine, all have perfectly old school options available. But with technology we as humans have adapted it to our advantage.

No, I read what it did, decided I had no use for it and then, in the same sentence, proclaimed that I didn't want a car with it.

No you said you would never buy a car with it.
Then got confused and looked up the wrong thing, then finally understood there was more than one thing.

Oh, it's a normal sized car, now? Yesterday it was designed to be small and was in fact small... now it's normal? Does it automatically adapt its size to suit the forum post? Does this feature come as standard, too

Most cars completely independantly of the chasis/cabin size are capable of being driven by a normal human. Because you know the designers of those cars tend to shy away from making a car that only someone over 6'6" or under 4'6" would be able to drive competently. The market would be a bit limited.

And yet many people have failed their tests on uphill starts.....

And three point turns. And pretty much all the things that are tested on a driving test, because you know thats why they test them!
However what they would fail on is that they failed to show the control required of simultaneously using the hand brake, the clutch and the accelerator (on a manual) and in doing so they rolled backwards and/or stalled etc
And is one of the reasons why if you pass in an automatic you cannot drive a manual, because you havent demonstrated the same level of ability.
Lets just imagine for one minute someone came up with a way to reduce that risk. Lets call it hmmm, Hill start assist. Cor one of the common things you can see any day, people (with old school and/or poverty spec cars with no hill assist) rolling back a bit on hill starts in stop start traffic where instead of applying the handbrake they just go from the footbrake to the accelerator. Imagine if we could fix that so they didn't need to keep applying the hand brake, but could move from brake to throttle without rolling back ;)

You might not.
Most humans are capable of splitting out different elements of the task between conscious and subconscious. You might subconsciously hear the engine revs and consciously think to change gear, but subconsciously decide which gear to select, based on conscious feel of what the engine is doing.

You cannot control your subconcious thats the point. If you actively think about something then your subconcious will not work on the same thing. But if you do not actively think about something your subconcious MAY cover that for you.

"The technology was once the preserve of high-end motors, but more affordable family cars now have automatic fob systems, which allow drivers to open and start their vehicles without even touching a button"....

"The thieves are able to open the car, push the start button and drive away"...

TBH, what kind of manufacturer these days would give you keyless entry, but NOT keyless start, or vice versa? Sounds a bit inconvenient, no?

I don't think you can get keyless entry but not start. Its something I have never seen, I cannot see why logically you would ever go that way.
Keyless start is becoming more common now, its days of being a cost option are pretty much past I think.
Keyless entry however is still for most a cost option, as ever its creeping down the OE list, but its a nice pricey option on most mainstream models.

I wonder if keyless entry will remain a real option, without there being better protection its seemingly too much risk vs the reward. Certainly I hear people who have it asking if they can disable, and for most the answer seems to be no.

And yet you seem to have a real issue with the fact that I wouldn't spend money on it either....

Not at all, had that of been what you said then it may have made sense what you said. But thats not what you said :)

There was a bloke up the archery club bragging like that about his new VW with all these fancy features. He did find it hard parking, though, because there was one a teeny tiny little shrub (looked like a weed to me) growing out the back kerb of the parking bay... Every time he tried driving into this wide open space, his VW's fancy anti-crash auto-stop safety system kept slamming on the anchors and blaring warning bells, lest he smash head on into the shrub!!!!!
:D

Its probably emergency city braking. https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/braking-and-stability-systems/city-emergency-braking

Its not an unknown issue, it is in fact quite an issue for some people. Its great in theory, its definately one of them things that will save some kids life somewhere.

You will love this sensationalist news article, its right up your street.
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/volkswagen-car-keeps-thinking-its-689355

So what happened to the poor bloke then, is he still stuck in the carpark? Or did he just use the button to temporarily turn it off so he could indeed park there?

Do you think he may not have read the manual and how to disable the features that he may need to under certain circumstances?
So again the issue sounds like a human at fault rather than the technology. You are arguing a really good case here for more technology ;)

I'm not interested in 'works' or 'cheap'. I'm interested in enjoying the drive, which is rapidly diminishing as more technology gets tacked on. I don't even use the steering wheel controls for the radio (which do 'just work', incidentally), as the volume dial is quicker, simpler and easier.

We must be very different then, because in 30 years or so of driving I cannot remember a single time I have gone, oh my that handbrake release on that hill start got my heart racing. ;)
I think Kindai got it spot on lol.
I do however consider that all the electronic gizmos make it safer for me to drive faster than if none of them existed, and as such I gain more enjoyment from driving at a faster speed than it would be safe to do so without anything existing.

So it's not worth buying one of the 53,000 Teslas, 134,000 Volkswagens, or any of the other brands that issued recalls in 2017 for failed electronic handbrakes, like Toyota, Renault or... Audi....? :)

Read what I wrote again, that damn pesky english huh.

Caporegime
Matrix headlights (that work properly) are what everyone needs as standard.

This is the Audi video from 2014

I imagine there's even better solutions since then (more dimming zones or whatever)

Back
Top Bottom