Is it time to ban LED Headlights

Caporegime
Autos are less likely to be driven into due to brake lights being on when stopped.

Advance driving methods suggest to keep foot on brake until a car has stopped behind you too.

I don’t know what my cars do with brake lights when these witchcraft technologies kick in for obvious reasons. But I never use the handbrake

Man of Honour
One less thing to go wrong.

Actually electronic systems are really simple and less likely to be troublesome than manual ones which need adjusting etc etc. Handbrakes on the E39 for example were notoriously unreliable.

The electronic system has a simple actuator that applies the rear caliper.

Autos are less likely to be driven into due to brake lights being on when stopped.

Advance driving methods suggest to keep foot on brake until a car has stopped behind you too.

I don’t know what my cars do with brake lights when these witchcraft technologies kick in for obvious reasons. But I never use the handbrake

Law says when the foot brake is applied the rear lights must indicate, and as in effect the brake holds are footbrake then...
Yes its always good practice to have your brake lights illuminated when there is no one directly behind you they are far more obvious that your static or slowing.
The law has failed to keep up with technology.

I'm not even going to attempt to start addressing ttttassskkkerrmmmasttttters points.

Let's just say it's a good thing your opinions fall well into the realms of the minority.

Sometimes you have to go along for the ride for the fun.
I love that he thinks £70k+ Audi models would have stuff like EPB as an option :p hes clearly never been near a decent modern car.
Well maybe to lick the windows ;)

Caporegime
Actually electronic systems are really simple and less likely to be troublesome than manual ones which need adjusting etc etc. Handbrakes on the E39 for example were notoriously unreliable.

The electronic system has a simple actuator that applies the rear caliper.

Ah OK fair enough! Well it's not like I'll be buying a car with an auto handbrake for a few years at least anyway so. :p

Soldato
backing out of the cul-de-sac ..

The system in the BMW was genuinely the best headlight I've ever used. It never dazzled, was never late to dip, sometimes didn't even dip, and more often that not assisted those road users you were either behind, or those coming towards by lighting their kerbs up too.
They/matrix not yet allowed in the USA for a reason ... no one contradicted earlier article

What's the break-out of light types on the road now 70% traditional halogen, 10%led, 20%hid, ?
feels like I could flash most led (with their obvious severe cut-off/twinkling, revealed on camb/norfolk bumpy roads) and many hid's
... but they are often in a queue of traffic so I have to put up with it .. so - you didn't know you have dazzled someone ...

Probably said, but the auto-dim is not anticipatory on crests/bends from oncoming glow, so you manually flash someone simulataneously with their (500ms delay) system figuring out what's happening.

It's not even mentioned as being fitted as standard, though.... Parking system, HUD, 2-zone aircon and even obvious things like airbags are all listed.... but not a word about this assistance stuff. Surely if it's that good the top end cars would at least mention it?

Exactly, high cost options on lots of other models, but honestly if you genuinely think people buying cars of that level would be going, nah honestly give me a nice manual handbrake then well there isn't much to say.

Neither have you, judging from your choice of car - Was it on special at Costco, or are you planning a career as a flight attendant...?

Oh now come on it was a hairdresser yesterday now a flight attendant, come on if your going to try to troll at least have some originality.

FWIW I was also highly surprised that I ended up with a TT. I would probably have had another mini JCW as they are a genuine hoot down the roads I drive, but it would have been the 3rd mini on the trot so I looked elsewhere.
I tested a lot of cars, Focus RS/ST3, 308 GTi, Cupra etc and the one that put most grins on my face was the TT, not for outright pace or anything, in fact it was probably beaten in every category for me by something else, its just a really nice easy drive to do and I loved the feeling as it reminded my a lot of my old celica, but for the price I got it for and overall it just ticked the boxes. I guess I am maybe a coupe person at heart, and there isn't much choice in this field.

Soldato
No auto driver in the universe will put the car into Park in a queue. Intact the owners manual generally advises against it.

Might have misunderstood you here, but loads of auto drivers put their cars into park in a long light sequence / stationary queue - I see it every day and frequently do it myself if I know I'm going to be waiting a while as it saves me keeping my foot on the brake for ages, and is less steps than neutral + handbrake. Can't see how it would do the car any harm unless you're shifting between park and drive every 2 seconds.

Caporegime
I CBA to play with that wall of text with a million quotes in. The guy obviously has some sort of issue.

Autos are rear ended less often than manuals because the foot brake is left on. So my point was to go against ‘brake lights blinding people’.

Not really interested in a tit for tat discussion here about the benefit of auto hold on automatic cars

Caporegime
Might have misunderstood you here, but loads of auto drivers put their cars into park in a long light sequence / stationary queue - I see it every day and frequently do it myself if I know I'm going to be waiting a while as it saves me keeping my foot on the brake for ages, and is less steps than neutral + handbrake. Can't see how it would do the car any harm unless you're shifting between park and drive every 2 seconds.
Agree. The fact a car creeps in neutral surely suggests leaving it in drive for long perused of time is not ideal. Moving to neural and hand brake on is advised and not a ‘not in this universe’ activity.

Nope - I already pointed out that some other models do list it as standard, too.
This doesn't mention it either way...

When i can be bothered i will check for you specifically. I would be stunned if they dont have it. It would just be expected. I mean its a software tweak and an extra button, the interior pictures would seem to show the two buttons the cars would have (activate the EPM and the button to disable). I wouldnt expect someone looking at the spec of one of those models to care, i would assume its there. My mate at work got a new RS6 early 2018, will ask him if his has the buttons, cant remebre when I looked at it. Its not necessarily 100% that all tech is there, for example it doesn't have the VC as its being replaced so expect the new version will.

Not much, no.... just two words: Handbrake Turn!! :D

Yes, I know it's theoretically possible... again only on certain models of certain brands (not Porsche, apparently!)... and potentially even feasible, given teh right configuration of the right model of the right brand, yadda yadda..... But that's an awful lot of faff, just to have a car that's nice for a bit of a random blatt, eh?[/QUOTE]

Its not a regular part of my driving so frankly I don't care. I outgrew acting like a prat in a car some years ago ;)

Hence the assumed career change plans...
But actually I never said hairdresser - I was at least giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you were a hair 'stylist'... but now you've cleared that one up.

I prefer to stick with finance director sorry (the pay is better)

Oh, I don't stoop to trolling - I'm too tall.
You might be short enough... which, incidentally, would also explain why you drive a car so cramped you could probably blow your own trumpet....

Well I am over 6 foot and it feels in no way cramped at all. Although you need to be about 5 foot or under to use the rear. Its the same chassis as the golf etc use in the VW group https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_MQB_platform
Hit 6'3 or 4 though and you could be having issues, but then thats true for plenty of cars.

This is why I generally have older vehicles (aside from things like the depreciation factor) - New cars offer nothing.

Apart from up to date tech, like hands free, advanced braking, better fuel economy etc etc etc. Hows the model T going?

Like what?
I merely don't like something that someone else has and object to the mega sales pitch trying to justify their purchase of it to me..... so I'm having fun with it in response. Neither of us are changing each others minds on it - How is that an "issue"?

Get over yourself with your mega sales pitch. It was Standard equipment on my car (like most of the cars sold in the Audi group in 2018), would I have paid for it probably not, my default position on all extras is not value for money, but once I got it I find its damn useful. Like lots of these things, limited to some models early on, and usually expensive (relatiively) options, become mainstream and standard over time. ABS, traction, AC etc they all go through the same cycle. Just as the high end audi models right now with the traffic sign detection, I would fully expect that to be standard within a few years, all the stuff is there to do it now, same with the satnav, car play etc. Your just paying someone to enable the option (although this highly software version dependant in particular with the vehicles with the VC)

Soldato
Why not?
Does your electric assistance car not automatically do that for you?

My personal car can do most things for me, its great when I want to to drive at a pedestrian pace. I'm past that juvenile stage in my life where I must do EVERYTHING or im not a 'real' driver. Double de clutch or scrub et al.

Fortunately I have a degree of driver training above what most people have access to and put it into practice on the road on a regular basis. I choose to use assists, I am however more than capable of driving without them - in fast paced, dynamic situations you'll never drive in.

My personal car can do most things for the me, its great when I want to to drive at a pedestrian pace. Fortunately I have a degree of driver training above what most people have access to and put it into practice on the road on a regular basis. I choose to use assists, I am however more than capable of driving without them - in fast paced, dynamic situations you'll never drive in.

Traffic officer?

Soldato
The use of an electronic handbrake does not perish the 'skills' required to use a conventional one.

We are talking about conveniences here, not core skills.

I do not not suffer skill deterioration from the use of assists in my personal vehicle. You might, but perhaps you're still at Stage 3 out of 4 of the Competency Stages as a consciously competent driver. Keep practicing.

Soldato
Agree. The fact a car creeps in neutral surely suggests leaving it in drive for long perused of time is not ideal. Moving to neural and hand brake on is advised and not a ‘not in this universe’ activity.

Constantly shifting a torque converter auto in and out of drive puts excessive wear on the clutch bands in the gearbox. The manuals of the autos that I have owned all state that it is best to leave the vehicle in drive unless it is obvious that you will be stopped for a prolonged period of time (my 9000 suggested 5+ minutes before moving out of drive). There is a transmission cooler to keep temperatures under control.

Back
Top Bottom