• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it time to give up and move to consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That’s what I play. But if the young gamers don’t buy pc’s then it’s dead.

What’s known as acceptable performance as got a bit silly. Everyone wants a 260hz monitor and if they can’t game at that they get a ps5.

You can get a good level tower for £700 that’s console compatible, but a console can be had for £350

What needs to change is.
To game you need 6 cores, some people are telling everyone you need 8c/16t

A lad on hear said if your a serious gamer you need 4th of nvme storage

If you want to game at 1080 your pushed 6800xt’s and 4070’s
What's funny is that outside ocuk elite members, most people don't even game at 4k.

I play online in multiple games with loads of people and don't come across many that are gaming at 4k

Man of Honour
That is one difference - when I was young and on the kind of income you tend to have in a first job it was much more realistic to save up a bit and be able to afford a decent spec PC - now the kids at work think you are rich if you own a mid-range 3000 series GPU or higher...

Last edited:
Permabanned
That is one difference - when I was young and on the kind of income you tend to have in a first job it was much more realistic to save up a bit and be able to afford a decent spec PC - now the kids at work think you are rich if you own a mid-range 3000 series GPU or higher...

The first pc I made was a payday pc ever payday I got a part of two. And when it was done it lasted years.
Now people want to ditch ever year or 2 and start over

Soldato
Depends....

If you want to play COD, FIFA, GOW, HZD, TLOU, Forza, Harry Potter, Lego games etc etc then absolutely get a console.

PCs have their place though, ultra widescreen support, high end VR, sim racing, flight sim with all the accessories. They are more versatile but that comes with the faffing about getting everything to work.

It all boils down to what you want. If you are spending £3k on a PC to then play 16x9 Fifa you need your head testing.

Soldato
That’s what I play. But if the young gamers don’t buy pc’s then it’s dead.

What’s known as acceptable performance as got a bit silly. Everyone wants a 260hz monitor and if they can’t game at that they get a ps5.

You can get a good level tower for £700 that’s console compatible, but a console can be had for £350

What needs to change is.
To game you need 6 cores, some people are telling everyone you need 8c/16t

A lad on hear said if your a serious gamer you need 4th of nvme storage

If you want to game at 1080 your pushed 6800xt’s and 4070’s
A lot on here want to talk as mainstream gamers but own expensive rigs themselves. It's like older people saying the housing market is fine, but entered when it was cheaper and have a decent home now.

As a mainstream gamer and as someone who only knows mostly mainstream gamers, the performance stagnation in mainstream dGPUs and cost increases elsewhere in the last six years are noticeable. So many mainstream gamers are spending more so they can get a noticeable improvement in performance,or simply waiting for longer to upgrade because they are on a more limited budget. There is a form of increasing shrinkflation happening with certain pc components. Nvidia literally selling the RTX3050 replacement as the RTX4060TI is a joke.The RTX3050 itself is joke priced and so was Turing V1. Even the RX6600XT/RX6600 were barely improvements at launch over the similarly priced RX5600XT/RX5700/
RX5700XT. The is active shrinkflation in entry and mainstream level motherboards too. Many here think nothing of a £100 increase here or a £200 increase there but its actually relatively large.

It annoys me when elite PCMR are saying everything is fine with the PC hardware market. It isn't.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Best thing I ever did was move to this gen of console. Will keep my PC for the occasional strategy game, but don’t miss it at all. Far less faff tbh with a console and at least now the visuals are great and the load times even quicker than PCs in some cases.

Associate
Depends....

If you want to play COD, FIFA, GOW, HZD, TLOU, Forza, Harry Potter, Lego games etc etc then absolutely get a console.

PCs have their place though, ultra widescreen support, high end VR, sim racing, flight sim with all the accessories. They are more versatile but that comes with the faffing about getting everything to work.

It all boils down to what you want. If you are spending £3k on a PC to then play 16x9 Fifa you need your head testing.
I mostly agree but then fifa on console is limited at 60hz for now, and the visuals on pc are significantly better if you have the monitor to support it, and the potential for widescreen support. And of course mods. Only issue with pc for sports games is a delay in system parity when a new engine comes out.

Being able to play fifa at beyond 60hz is a big deal for me and even if they bring 120hz to the next title there's nothing stopping me from playing at double that on PC..

So yeah for some people the expense is more than justified, for those reasons above.

I know people who've gone all out on their systems purely to run COD at above 240hz... so each to their own. As long as you get the hours out of it, to justify what you paid for it.

Console is extremely good value for money if you don't mind the lack of flexibility the PC equivalent would provide you.

I got a Series X purely for CP2077 and while I wasn't blown away by the game visually and would have been if I'd got an equivalent PC. Price was on my mind at the time even though I could have gone all out on a new PC at the time. I'm now feeling the opposite way and do want all out performance with OLED monitors now forcing their way into the market. At a price range I'm happy with.

Now if you don't care about visuals at all and just want to play the latest games at 60hz then a 2nd hand Series S seems a steal atm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive got a PS5, doesnt get used that much
Ive also got an 11 year old rig that still runs but is getting long in the tooth. Honestly though if that died I'm not sure what I would do. My XL2411 doesnt support anything more than 60hz on hdmi so would need a new screen on top of all the other stuff, yes you can get active DVIDL adapters, but tbh they are nearly the price of a new screen anyway.

If I could play satisfactory or factorio on the ps5 with K/M support, I dont think I'd buy a new pc again

Soldato
I more or less have, been mostly using the mac studio since launch. Playing more retro games now anyway, finished deliding a satin silver PS3 the other day. Next will be a silver dreamcast, I love silver lol.

Soldato
Depends....

I'd very much agree with this and also 'where are you on your gaming journey.' There is nothing wrong with COD, GTA & Battlefield like games but when you've played through the series or successive versions over the years the gameplay starts to wear thin and you crave more... that logically leads to more open games, modding and sims which are really the domain of the PC.

So yeah it really all depends on the games and the experience you want from gaming, retro & mobile being the most accessible and PCVR being the ultimate with everything in between imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom