• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the 3090 a 'waste' for gaming?

Permabanned
It's not a waste because it has more RAM, so if you are gaming in very high resolutions it may benefit you. But it is a LOT of extra money for that RAM. I doubt many can justify the extra cost. But then if money is secondary to you then why not? I must confess it has tempted me too, but then I just can't justify an additional £700 just for some more RAM. But lets face it, it's better spending an extra £700 on some RAM than some idiots have been paying scalpers for a standard 3080. I mean I was watching a video on youtube the other day, some guy complaining that he paid £1600 for a 3080. Well, duh!

Soldato
Depends what you do with it.
I'm intending to make the switch to 4k this year once I find a GSync monitor that has HDMI 2.1 (I think thats what I need/want).
My missus uses the PC for VR and some photo editing so its handy for that. Also most of it is paid for with bonuses from work from throughout the year so I thought I would treat myself.

People can spend their money how they like. Those that judge them surely have better things to do with their time, no?

Associate
It seems people who are having a go at others for buying these come across a little bitter...

I couldn't care less what people do with their money.

Associate
It seems people who are having a go at others for buying these come across a little bitter...
These types of threads always do, as people Express their personal opinions and rationale.
But as I said before. If the OP has to ask in a forum thread then he shouldn't buy one.
No one is going to make excuses for his buyer's remorse when he gets his card and 2 weeks later stocks of the 3000s/6000s start appearing.

Associate
If you were having "panic" about something as trivial as a computer part, then you've other issues...

3090 is nothing but an epeen extension, a roll of honour post and an awful waste of money....for 10% more gaming performance over a 3080
Talk about quoting out of context for drama, seems im not the one with an issue but you have the attention you need what now?

Permabanned
Also I think some information needs to be "consumed" with care. I am seeing real world results that do show a reasonable increase in performance with a 3090. Still maybe not enough to justify buying one, but certainly better than some are saying.

Associate
I got one on release, do i regret it? Not one bit. I can afford it and paid for it outright.

Oh and i use it for 1440p Gaming - which may infuriate some people but do i care? Nope.

Associate
OP
I can afford it, although it'll come out of my 'hobby' budget. If I get a 3090 I'll be passing up on a new handgun for a while. Which I'm not too annoyed about as my range is still closed due to our current lockdowns.

I've decided to hold on and see if I can get a 3060ti today as that should provide a good jump in performance from my 980ti for not too large a cost. I can then transfer that to my other older rig if/when I'm able to get a 3080 at normal prices OR wait a few more days as somebody in this thread suggested and try my luck with the 6900xt.

If all that fails, it may be 3090 time :)

So thanks to everyone that's replied with their opinions and experiences!

Associate
Same boat as OP, stuck on a 980ti. I did consider buying last gen hardware, but I'm loath to pay the prices that are being asked, which afaics appear to have gone up rather than down since Sept 17th. Have been tempted by the odd 3090 I've seen in stock around the web lately, but It'd be hard for me to justify the expense with she who must be obeyed (just as well really). That and paying the insane premium will only encourage further price gouging in the future. Having seen how some retailers (mentioning no names) have exploited this whole situation, I shall be considering very carefully who gets my money when something I actually want to buy becomes available.

Associate
OP
Same boat as OP, stuck on a 980ti. I did consider buying last gen hardware, but I'm loath to pay the prices that are being asked, which afaics appear to have gone up rather than down since Sept 17th. Have been tempted by the odd 3090 I've seen in stock around the web lately, but It'd be hard for me to justify the expense with she who must be obeyed (just as well really). That and paying the insane premium will only encourage further price gouging in the future. Having seen how some retailers (mentioning no names) have exploited this whole situation, I shall be considering very carefully who gets my money when something I actually want to buy becomes available.

I've been through exactly the same thought process lol. I agree the older stuff has gone up in price since this started and I'm kind of loathed to pay more for say a 2080ti than a 3080 would cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Love mine, no buyers remorse here and I originally wanted a 3080. The extra vram puts my mind at rest and another 15% performance over isn't to be sniffed at, it's normally what we've seen in a generational leap up until the 3000 series cards blasted that out the water. I paid £1350 for my 2080ti AIB before this, £1200 for my Titan Xp before that, £1200 for my Titan XP before that and £1000 for the Titan X before that. I got sick of waiting for the 3080, saw the spec's of my potential game of the decade and pulled the trigger. My gamer rig is my main hobby - I work hard and play hard, so wot!

Associate
I have Missed out on every launch so far will give the 6900 launch a go but if I miss out there will be sorely tempted by a 3090 as its the last bit I need for my new build and I really can't see myself putting my old 1070 in my new build to power my G9

Associate
I have Missed out on every launch so far will give the 6900 launch a go but if I miss out there will be sorely tempted by a 3090 as its the last bit I need for my new build and I really can't see myself putting my old 1070 in my new build to power my G9
Your 1070 will have a fit, assuming the G9 is the Super Ultrawide.

Back
Top Bottom