Is the end of Battery EVs coming?

Soldato
Yep and you can carry extra cans of fuel, you cant carry extra batteries. We are only thinking from a UK perspective too. Someone drove across Australia in an EV and had to spend 85 hours recharging (it takes around 40 hours driving time) :D
i am no expert in Australia charging infrastructure but last i heard, the last few years have had EVs start to take off massively over there, and the charging infrastructure is also meant to be improving at a rate that i would dream of happening here.

That said, and whilst it is certainly improving, their reliance on coal to make the power which runs the cars is not great. one would think they are in the perfect position to get a truck ton of renewable generation going however and it would not surprise me if in a decade from now they are looking far better than now.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ICE versus EV refuelling debate is less the "wasted" time it takes to fill the car, and more that you can choose to top up the ICE when it is convenient to you because of it's additional range.
ie. when -you- need to stop for a pee, cup of coffee, see an opportunist garage with empty forecourt, or, just do it the night before
- it's time management, like ability to start out from home with a full EV, too
No. It’s annoying for normal users with home charging to have to stop to get fuel. The end. There is no debate, it’s an utter chore of inconvenience then a slap in the face with the cost.

Soldato
Soldato
Was busy finding a landing net for the bite you took.

Let’s see, cos it’s easy to find the alternative narrative.

Or https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...smo-darwin-bondi-beach-mark-webber-33805.html

I mean, you almost googled the correct story. Apart from it's the wrong continent

Last edited:
Like I said

"The 19-day journey included 27 charging stops and within the three weeks a total of 85 hours was spent charging, which was mostly completed overnight."

Lol talk about previously misrepresenting the position

The person may have spent less time being delayed by charging than someone would have standing by the car refuelling.

19 days means <200 miles a day on average. Plenty of EVs will do that and not need any stop to charge.
Just relying on destination charging each night to top up.
Tip : you dont need to stand by the car whilst charging like you do with an ICE ;)

Soldato
Or https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...smo-darwin-bondi-beach-mark-webber-33805.html

I mean, you almost googled the correct story. Apart from it's the wrong continent
an average of 4hrs a day charging , with charging mostly completed overnight .... I mean, most people sleep. Yes you could theortically with 2 people in a car drive 24/7 and in that case an ice is gonna be more practical.

but other than using that edge case of an edge case (those who choose to drive over Australia and the subsection of those who choose to drive it without stopping for a sleep in a hotel) which doesnt sound like the number of people to make a decision of if a technology is viable or not...

so i dont see the drama. Also range is only gonna go up.

today a real world range of 300 usable miles is considered long range........... a few years from now that will be average and real long range cars will have a proper real world over 400 mile range imo.

Last edited:
Permabanned
My friend is a Spurs supporter and is a season ticket holder. He does 240 mile round trip and nowhere to charge.

I’m also a Spurs season ticket holder. There’s a bunch of chargers the other side of Northumberland Park station, probably 20 minutes walk from the ground. You’re not going to be parking much closer to the ground than that with all of the match day restrictions anyway.

Soldato

No I said alternative narrative to long trips, only the insane drive across Australia so it’s a fringe situation that is literally the opposite side the globe (PS it’s not flat) to this user base majority and hence is a weak argument from the DailyMash, but you already know thats

All the Mash, no gravy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m also a Spurs season ticket holder. There’s a bunch of chargers the other side of Northumberland Park station, probably 20 minutes walk from the ground. You’re not going to be parking much closer to the ground than that with all of the match day restrictions anyway.
last time i went to a man united match (which i admit was a while ago)... parking cost such that, it would probably be cheaper to find an EV charging bay and charge there for a few hrs and pay the electricity price.

possibly a cunning way to get cheap parking when at the match.

Given spurs are currently above united in the table and with far better goal different i am not in a position to tease on that front either. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
an average of 4hrs a day charging , with charging mostly completed overnight .... I mean, most people sleep. Yes you could theortically with 2 people in a car drive 24/7 and in that case an ice is gonna be more practical.

but other than using that edge case of an edge case (those who choose to drive over Australia and the subsection of those who choose to drive it without stopping for a sleep in a hotel) which doesnt sound like the number of people to make a decision of if a technology is viable or not...

so i dont see the drama. Also range is only gonna go up.

today a real world range of 300 usable miles is considered long range........... a few years from now that will be average and real long range cars will have a proper real world over 400 mile range imo.

It's about 5000km. It wouldn't take almost 3 weeks to drive it in an ICE car even taking stops. You could sail it quicker than that.

Last edited:
No I said alternative narrative to long trips, only the insane drive across Australia so it’s a fringe situation that is literally the opposite side the globe (PS it’s not flat) to this user base majority and hence is a weak argument from the DailyMash, but you already know thats

All the Mash, no gravy.

When you read the journey as well its like they set out to make it almost as difficult as possible.

Soldato
Driving across Australia, (and America for that matter) as reasons for EVs not working. Cracks me up.

There is a reason why domestic flights are popular in those countries. It’s the journey that 99.9% do in a 5 hour flight because it takes 1/4 the time and flights can be had for a not dissimilar price to driving.

This thread is a car crash in the literal sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got dropped off last time I went to old Trafford literally in an EV bay a stone’s throw from the stadium, the wife then went to the trafford centre, just not an issue and I didn’t need to charge anyway, round trip no problem.

Last edited:
It's about 5000km. It wouldn't take almost 3 weeks to drive it in an ICE car even taking stops.

Its about 40 hours driving but that route wouldn't be..

Plus 40+85 = 125 which is 5 days of the 19 if you simply go by elapsed hours
What happened to the other 14 days?

Simply the charge time was basically irrelevant

Soldato
The ICE versus EV refuelling debate is less the "wasted" time it takes to fill the car, and more that you can choose to top up the ICE when it is convenient to you because of it's additional range.
ie. when -you- need to stop for a pee, cup of coffee, see an opportunist garage with empty forecourt, or, just do it the night before
- it's time management, like ability to start out from home with a full EV, too

I'll give you an interesting example of why ICE is more convenient.

I'm currently on holiday in Romania (with a hire car), and we travelled cross-country to visit some friends (5hr+ drive).

I had the freedom to do a quick stop for petrol, and then drive another 30mins to another petrol/service station that served better food.

If I was in an EV - I would have been forced waste time, by waiting at the first station to charge the car (let's say 30+mins). That would have either added 30mins to my overall journey, or forced me to eat at the crappier service station to avoid that 2nd stop for food.

These are the real world examples of why EV charging is not ideal

Back
Top Bottom