• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is there a compatibilty problem with the ATI 4850 and Furmark?

Associate
Sent mine back by special delivery 2 hours ago - such a relief to be rid of it. So if they test tomorrow i should have it sorted by the end of the day and i can get on and order a different card.

Good luck with your returns.

Plec

you have to pay to send a faulty item back? i dont have tio with scan they paid for it all

Soldato
OP
Postage is refunded after they identify the fault. It's a bit complicated but fair enough considering that they have to deal with other users who may not know what they're doing when it comes to diagnostics of a problem.

Hope your return goes smoothly

Plec

Soldato
OP
Which, furmark or Crysis and what brand is your card and does it hang consistently?

If it's just the one program it may just be a software/conflict glitch or obviously temps (which, judging from your forum experience i'm guessing this is nothing you don't already know.) - if it's both and it's an XFX brand then there may be a connection.

However, i haven't come across any 4870's with this type of 'consistent' problem while researching this - 4850's tend to only crop up and only the xfx brand.

That doean't rule out that your card has a problem but it may not be ralated to this particular strand. Read the entire thread through and see how many points your card hits - hopefully not too many.

Plec

Last edited:
Associate
xxx stands for what?!

Hi guys,

so glad I have come across this thread, I too have had the same problems as you and have spent the last two weeks cursing every component in my computer.

Basically i have the same card, xfx radeon hd4850 bought from ocuk on the 25th of march. I noticed the problem when playing crysis it hangs after a few minutes with looping sound and locks me out of the system. Only a hard reset will get the computer back on.

I have tramped through various forums and tried many ideas, so far i have:
updated ALL drivers,
disabled onboard sound
formatted then reinstalled windows xp and vista.
new power supply, modular, £60, same problem (dont really want to spend more than this on a psu as i might as well just get the 4890 for the same price)
memtest for 24hours, no problem
updated the motherboard bios
new case fans, at one point i had a desk fan blowing straight into the side of the case, i havnt seen the card above 70C so I dont think its a heat issue.
had 123seconds out of furmark
other various little things like trying different plug sockets but all to no avail, im sure there is more, i'l post back if can think of anything else...
3DMark runs fine

I RMA'd the card on the 2nd of april to OC, it was tested and a replacement card arrived this morning...

however, I'm still having the same problem...

i could RMA the card again and swap for something else or maybe a refund but for those few minutes that the card works its so impressive that I actually want this card...
I am at a complete blank for what this problem is, my system is only a few months old... intel quad 2.4/4Gb DDR2 ram

anyway i'll keep checking the thread as it seems there could be a solution if this is happening to a few of us...

Chris

Associate
Thats really unlcuky to get another faulty card. It's a relief to hear that our cards faults will be picked up by Ocers though.

I know what you mean. For the price this card was impressive. Am thinking of either getting an nvidia GTX 260 or a ati 4870. Although if someones having issues with the 4870 aswell am not sure I want to go through all those test again. Once I get my refund I will decide.

I was looking at maybe this - 4870

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ransy-Pants - i've asked for a refund for that very reason.

About 4 years ago i ordered an xfx 6800 card, it had really bad heat issues. Three returns later i decided that there must be faulty batch (as did other forum members) and so bought an asus version instead.

I'm not saying that there is a bad batch at OC's but there is an increasing trend of 'like-for-like' faults appearing with this card and not just from OC's so it's not their fault. It's the beauty of mass production, unfortunately.

Jammy, i think this problem is xfx 4850 specific - as there haven't been any other 4850 brands posting on this thread. So, i would do a few searches on the card you like - if you don't get a lot of hits regarding problems you should be ok - well hopefully...

Plec

Associate
thanks for the advice about the cards guys, i have reached a decision.

i have four weeks of universtiy left and dont have the time to be gaining another degree in faulty gfx cards so i have just wrote to overclockers requesting a full refund for the card and postage costs to OCuk from myself.

I had a look at the other 4850's on the site, they look good however everything about them scared me, single slot PCIe2.0 sent shivvers down my spine, i think for me its time to put crysis down and carry on with the odd game of counterstrike.

I linked this thread into my webnote as I think its obvious that it is the dodgy cards that are to blame.

I did express my dissapointment with overclockers, I understand that its the manufacturers fault but for me when I come on the site i trust them to be offering me the best products and its my fear that i wasn't the first to RMA the card and probably wont be the last.

anyway I'll keep you informed with what they say and thanks again

Soldato
OP
Np Ransy-Pants (gotta love your name) hope you get a better result when you next venture out to buy a gfx card.

I had a look at the other 4850's on the site, they look good however everything about them scared me, single slot PCIe2.0 sent shivvers down my spine

As i have given up on the xfx i was about to order the Asus or the Sapphire version - is there an issue with single slot PCI-e 2.0 cards - heat, speed? I don't want to be returning yet more cards with known problems.

Plec

Associate
thanks Plec, i think i will wait a month or two until I have more time to deal with any issues then hopefully get a new card.

I did see problems wth overheating with the 4850 on the single slot PCIe cards...
this was through various forums, i did have them saved in bookmarks but i did a fresh install of xp last night. i usually started a search in google with "4850 crashes" and it brought up various threads.

although people had problems, most of them got to the bottom of the problem with obvious solutions like better ventilation using more case fans.
also people who where having these issues usually lived in hot climates like america and austrailia where the card was idleing at 80C in the first place.
also on one of the cards, i dont remeber which one, the fan was set to run at a very slow speed, about 20% so ati included the option to change the cards fan speed in an updated ccc and when most people put it up to 60% they saw the problem go away, if only that was the case with the xfx.

the other thing that worries me about PCIe2.0 cards is that they are supposed to be backwards compatible with PCIe1.0 motherboards (i think its something to do wth transfering 2.5gb in PCIe1.0 slots and 5gb in PCIe2.0) however i still think that this could be more complicated than it should be

tbh i would be swapping for the asus or the sapphire myself, its just the fact that atm i dont have time to mess around if there are more problems and this would be my third swap.

also when typing 4850 crashes in google you dont really get good feedback about cards, mainly bad news.

I dont want to put you off Plec, i think you should go for one of those cards, i would its just bad timing for myself

would be nice to hear if it works out as well.

Chris

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Ransy-Pants, it's appreciated especially, i suspect, with revision time now at a premium. Good luck, btw.

Armed with the info you gave me, i researched a bit more in to the 2 cards and found out that the Asus 512mb version now comes with the Glaciator Heatsink just like the 1024mb version and this seems to have improved its cooling greatly. It idles at under 40 degrees and, apparently doesn't break into a sweat under load - cooler than the xfx if reviews are to believed.

You were right about the heat issues but it looks like some companies are reacting to the criticism - Asus have so they will get my money. I just need to confirm that OC's carry that stock type before i order. That is of course after they've confirmed that my card is faulty - Royal mail has informed me that OC’s have received the card but it's not logged in as received, yet, at OC's. Hopefully they'll get it logged in and tested tomorrow and i can move on.

I'll let you know my views on the card when I’ve had it running for while - if it's as promising as it sounds it should run as fast as the XFX xxx once clocked.

It was tempting to get a 4870 but because the XFX xxx edition was so cheap the extra jump of £50-£60 didn’t seem worth it. But it always seems tempting to upgrade your original choice when you've rma'ed a part. It's almost as though you feel the need to reward yourself for all the stress you had to go through to identify one duff component - which, more often than not, you suspected right from very the beginning.

Good luck with your studies and exams.

Plec

Soldato
OP
You obviously have a problem mrh2019, but this thread is about a specifc type of freeze with Furmark.

The problems we're experiencing are in Furmark and Crysis. After running Furmark or playing Crysis (between 10 and 30 minutes) the computer completely locks up with the screen displaying vertical parallel lines of 2 different shades of the same colour. We're unable to escape the application/game - we must manually do a hard reset.

Have you had anything similar to the above?

Hope you get it sorted.

Plec

Soldato
OP
Mine arrived yesterday at about 12.30 according to Royal Mail but the OC's web site still hasn't recognised it as recieved yet.

I rang them and it just means that they haven't got to processing it yet - so just a waiting game now. I'm hoping they'll get to it today but i suppose it depends on their back log.

Plec

Associate
mine was recived today at scan after i only sent it yesterday and they have autherised a refund,
good luck with your refunds and RMA, shame the XFX XXX 4850's dont work for us i loved the cooler on the little thing.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, TB, i'll stop checking and assume they'll e-mail me when they have a result.

Correction, it's going through the testing procedure as i type (according to web update) - hopefully have a result soon.

N1, pyrophonich - what are you getting in its place?

Plec

Last edited:
Associate
Good luck plec.

If yours is fault, then my mind will be at ease a little. Since we had identical problems. Maybe it won't be long till they test mine. I was really hoping to order my new GPU today and get it tomorrow as I start uni on monday. Still some time left.

Back
Top Bottom