• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Associate
And that there is the problem, most games are awful for this, funnily the issues with TAA etc. were never pointed out until dlss came about though i.e. where dlss had similar or worse issues with ghosting, blurry mess etc. I suppose such issues only made it to the spotlight then because it had "nvidia" on it which meant you got the "haters gonna hate/anti nvidia" brigade tearing it apart, which then meant, you also had to call out how bad the native + AA methods were/are too.

Would be great to get a new and better AA method as smaa, msaa etc. just don't work well with games nowadays since games are made with TAA methods in mind. DLAA is fantastic but uptake is poor and obviously locked to nvidia.
Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not pointing fingers at Nvidia. Every single methods of antialiasing aside from multisampling has some kind of issues and that's because well, they are all compromises made to try to fix jagginess while not killing performance like multisampling does.

Anyway I hope AMD will release the rest of the stack soon, otherwise I'm going to get a RX 6950XT.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Its becoming Stockholm Syndrome and cognitive dissonance. Instead of questioning what these companies are doing,it becomes more "you hate my brand" conversation. I knew gamers could be very brand specific,its starting to make some Apple fans I know seem reasonable. Makes you wonder whether the inrush of ex-console gamers in recent years might be a factor(PS vs XBox could get very heated).

How can people trust any of these companies,considering the moves which have been made in the past. This is certainly not the PCMR of 20 years ago.

Yep. That's why I don't get the Nvidia bad, AMD good rubbish.

Soldato
Or people repeating marketing rubbish about how they will pay more for "value added" features outside actual performance, to justify poor price/performance. It's marketing that Apple used first. Even things such as extra vram shouldn't be used as a justification to increase pricing either, especially as ram is cheap.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
The big issue is that Nvidia/AMD/Intel are trying to use upscaling as part of the performance "uplifts". Just as DLSS3 only works on Ada Lovelace with FG,I would expect FSR3 to work "best" on RDNA3. This way they can spin "performance" have gone up and get the uberfans to bleat on how good it is,to hide the fact.

This is what a lot of these cretins don't understand. Basically its doing what consoles have done for years,except you pay even more and get Apple level marketing.

Yeah People loved to remind me that Last of Us on PlayStation was using chequerboarding or whatever its called. Now everyone bangs on about PC alternatives like it's something new.

Soldato
Yeah People loved to remind me that Last of Us on PlayStation was using chequerboarding or whatever its called. Now everyone bangs on about PC alternatives like it's something new.
Because PCMR means PC Marketing Race. Everytime you point out how inane it is to boast about having to do the same from day one, on expensive pc hardware, they get hurt and think you are attacking their brand,or hate PC's or something.

It sounds exactly like PS vs XBox uberfans who do the same. IIRC, I think both were also duking it out over Checkerboard rendering.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Or people repeating marketing rubbish about how they will pay more for "value added" features outside actual performance, to justify poor price/performance. It's marketing that Apple used first. Even things such as extra vram shouldn't be used as a justification to increase pricing either, especially as ram is cheap.

@Nexus18 shots fired :p:D

I genuinely would pay a bit more to have DLSS over FSR based on my experience personally. But before you have a pop a me, please look at the bolded word :D

And what I am saying has nothing to do with justifying their prices. As you know I think their prices are looney.

Soldato
OP

I think more people should give AMD cards a chance, given the lower cost per frame of cards like the RX 6700 XT and RX 7900 XT compared to Nvidia's offerings (especially if you shop around, and with more price cuts likely in future). And it hurts Nvidia's profits too, which given their market dominance, can't be bad.

Good or bad is pretty meaningless when choosing PC components :D. Some people might still side with Nvidia due to better RT performance at the very high end (e.g. RTX 4080 and 4090), but it's just not a very compelling reason to most people, due to the huge premium you pay for the privilege. Upscaling differences too seem pretty irrelevant also, most will try to play natively at the resolution they desire anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No surprise there being that AMD can't be bothered to release any more 7 series cards for the last 5 months. Hopefully that's down to the rumored problems and re-spin of the chips so releasing them when they are correct and ready. Would make sense to release FSR 3 with a card to give it more exposure but we might not see it this year at this rate.

I thought it was more to do with them waiting for Nvidia. They had their 4070ti and 4080 competitors out. As soon as Nvidia have started releasing the rest of their lineup with the 4070 and soon the 4060, it looks like they are gearing up the rest of the range again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think more people should give AMD cards a chance, given the lower cost per frame of cards like the RX 6700 XT and RX 7900 XT (especially if you shop around, and with more price cuts likely in future).

Good or bad is pretty meaningless when choosing PC components :D. Some people might still side with Nvidia due to better RT performance at the very high end (e.g. RTX 4080 and 4090), but it's just not a very compelling reason to most people. Upscaling differences too seem pretty irrelevant also, most will try to play natively at the resolution they desire anyway.

I don't take sides. I buy whatever takes my fancy at the time. I am happy to give AMD a chance next gen if they are happy to give my walltet a chance to open.

If they do what they did this gen I will almost certainly go Nvidia again though. They need to be taking the competition to Nvidia. Not just copying them.

Soldato
@Nexus18 shots fired :p:D

I genuinely would pay a bit more to have DLSS over FSR based on my experience personally. But before you have a pop a me, please look at the bolded word :D

And what I am saying has nothing to do with justifying their prices. As you know I think their prices are looney.
Problem is if both had good price/ performance,it might be not so bad. But we have a combination of overpriced hardware and Nvidia deciding to skimp on vram to a bigger degree than AMD. But even AMD has only done the minimal in that regard.

Imagine in 2016 if some one told you the fastest sub £1000 Nvidia card in 2023 had only 12GB when the GTX1080TI had 11GB? Or it took 7 years to increase it by 50% to 20GB?

Or the vast majority of sub £500 cards still had 8GB of VRAM and some had 12GB? Or the GTX1060 would be one of the most used gaming card still?

I don't take sides. I buy whatever takes my fancy at the time. I am happy to give AMD a chance next gen if they are happy to give my walltet a chance to open.

If they do what they did this gen I will almost certainly go Nvidia again though. They need to be taking the competition to Nvidia. Not just copying them.

We ArE nOt ThE bUdGeT bRaNd right?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am almost definitely sticking with it until next gen :)
Upgrade to an RTX 4080 / RX 7900 XTX would get you 30-35% higher framerate on average. Not much to get excited about.

That's why people keeping saying how good the 4090 is, but still not a desirable upgrade imo, without a huge price drop, or if they were much cheaper 2nd hand/refurbed, which isn't the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wonder if low demand is still affecting prices of RDNA3 graphics cards?

Presumably, AMD is only inclined to increase production of 5nm RDNA3 GPUs, if it believes the existing line-up is selling well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom