• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Caporegime
@Nexus18 shots fired :p:D

I genuinely would pay a bit more to have DLSS over FSR based on my experience personally. But before you have a pop a me, please look at the bolded word :D

And what I am saying has nothing to do with justifying their prices. As you know I think their prices are looney.

Exactly. I'm more than happy to pay a "bit" more too but I know where the line is hence why I still am on a 3080 unlike our dear boi tommy :p :D :cry: Only gpu worth the price tag this year is the 4090 but for my needs/wants, it doesn't provide that "value", maybe if we had more path tracing titles then I'll get it but as someone else said, we need better quality games first, I'm not buying hardware just to brute force/avoid lazy optimisation, which is funny as the ones who bang on about vram and longevity i.e. who own likes of 6900xt/6950xt/3090s are the ones that end up upgrading every new gen :cry:

Again, I'll post this:

- their solutions just work and are consistently good e.g. dlss, reflex (in a lot of games now and amds solution like fsr is meh at best) and dldsr (this is epic for older titles or where you can spare performance especially when using with dlss on my 3440x1440 panel, amd have nothing to compete with this, most recent example is it has improved the **** show of fsr in star wars jedi survivor to the point I can continue to play it now, thanks nvidia!)
- got a gsync ultimate module monitor so I want the best experience here too especially when I see reports of people with amd cards posting about flickering, black screens, hdr issues and so on
- shadowplay/geforce experience for when I do use it, is fantastic, amd does the job but requires a lot more faffing to get good results and even then it still falls short
- rt capability, obviously not much needs to be said here but it isn't just the performance being consistently better but also amd doesn't work/display properly some times, it seems that either game patches or/and amd drivers resolve these kind of image issues, however, not for any titles using the remix tool e.g. portal rtx has a ton of graphical artifacts on anything but nvidia hardware and obviously the performance is downright awful, not a surprise given it is a nvidia tool though and this may have been fixed since but no idea

If wanting a good consistent experience with good features that I actually use makes me a fanboy then so be it.

I don't take sides. I buy whatever takes my fancy at the time. I am happy to give AMD a chance next gen if they are happy to give my walltet a chance to open.

If they do what they did this gen I will almost certainly go Nvidia again though. They need to be taking the competition to Nvidia. Not just copying them.

Likewise.

I got no problem going back to amd, owned amd from a 3850 right up to a vega 56 then I went 3080. If AMD want me back, they need to up their game and provide their user base with a good experience by providing solutions that are at least as good as nvidias and consistently good, not this **** show of where they arrive several months or years later (after I've played and completed the games) and are crap but given their throw over the fence approach and PC being the last thing on their minds now, I doubt this will ever change now but never say never....

Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
I wonder if low demand is still affecting prices of RDNA3 graphics cards?

Presumably, AMD is only inclined to increase production of 5nm RDNA3 GPUs, if it believes the existing line-up is selling well.

I mean..... the 7900XTX was always a $999 GPU, the RTX 4080 was always a $1199 GPU, they still are....

Margin margins margins...

Soldato
I thought it was more to do with them waiting for Nvidia. They had their 4070ti and 4080 competitors out. As soon as Nvidia have started releasing the rest of their lineup with the 4070 and soon the 4060, it looks like they are gearing up the rest of the range again.
Thats what i thought but next AMD are releasing the 7600 cards and no word of when a 7800xt or 7700xt will be around. If AMD were just simply waiting on Nvidia wouldnt the 7800xt or 7700xt be more logical due to the 4070 being around. Nvidia look to be releasing from the top down while AMD dont really have a pattern.

Soldato
Exactly. I'm more than happy to pay a "bit" more too but I know where the line is hence why I still am on a 3080 unlike our dear boi tommy :p :D :cry: Only gpu worth the price tag this year is the 4090 but for my needs/wants, it doesn't provide that "value", maybe if we had more path tracing titles then I'll get it but as someone else said, we need better quality games first, I'm not buying hardware just to brute force/avoid lazy optimisation, which is funny as the ones who bang on about vram and longevity i.e. who own likes of 6900xt/6950xt/3090s are the ones that end up upgrading every new gen :cry:

Again, I'll post this:

- their solutions just work and are consistently good e.g. dlss, reflex (in a lot of games now and amds solution like fsr is meh at best) and dldsr (this is epic for older titles or where you can spare performance especially when using with dlss on my 3440x1440 panel, amd have nothing to compete with this, most recent example is it has improved the **** show of fsr in star wars jedi survivor to the point I can continue to play it now, thanks nvidia!)
- got a gsync ultimate module monitor so I want the best experience here too especially when I see reports of people with amd cards posting about flickering, black screens, hdr issues and so on
- shadowplay/geforce experience for when I do use it, is fantastic, amd does the job but requires a lot more faffing to get good results and even then it still falls short
- rt capability, obviously not much needs to be said here but it isn't just the performance being consistently better but also amd doesn't work/display properly some times, it seems that either game patches or/and amd drivers resolve these kind of image issues, however, not for any titles using the remix tool e.g. portal rtx has a ton of graphical artifacts on anything but nvidia hardware and obviously the performance is downright awful, not a surprise given it is a nvidia tool though and this may have been fixed since but no idea

If wanting a good consistent experience with good features that I actually use makes me a fanboy then so be it.

Likewise.

I got no problem going back to amd, owned amd from a 3850 right up to a vega 56 then I went 3080. If AMD want me back, they need to up their game and provide their user base with a good experience by providing solutions that are at least as good as nvidias and consistently good, not this **** show of where they arrive several months or years later (after I've played and completed the games) and are crap but given their throw over the fence approach and PC being the last thing on their minds now, I doubt this will ever change now but never say never....
Since you mentioned nvidia reflex. Amd has a similar solution. A reviewer tested them both, and you know what the conclusion was? That as some games, AMD with it's reflex technology on has higher latency than nvidia with FG on. Yes, with FG. I've been saying that FG is useless unless your framerate is already 50+ cause the input lag is huge, but amd cards are playing with that latency normally! Holy cow

Caporegime
Since you mentioned nvidia reflex. Amd has a similar solution. A reviewer tested them both, and you know what the conclusion was? That as some games, AMD with it's reflex technology on has higher latency than nvidia with FG on. Yes, with FG. I've been saying that FG is useless unless your framerate is already 50+ cause the input lag is huge, but amd cards are playing with that latency normally! Holy cow

Link please, I need to see this! :D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
As you said @Bencher if you want low latency get a high refresh rate screen, mine is 165Hz, i cannot tell the difference with reflex on or off, i usually have it off as reflex can cause some weirdness with performance which ironically brings your latency up...... :cry: you could not make this #### up, seriously.

Last edited:
Soldato
As you said @Bencher if you want low latency get a high refresh rate screen, mine is 165Hz, i cannot tell the difference with reflex on or off, i usually have it off as reflex can cause some weirdness with performance which ironically brings your latency up...... :cry: you could not make this #### up, seriously.
I have a 120hz 4k oled. And yes, reflex obviously reduces your framerate. Don't confuse it with low latency from nvidia control panel, that' should always be off. The reason reflex reduces your framerates in some cases is because it is trying not to have the GPU usage at 99%, the whole point is to not have the frames that are already prepared by the cpu wait for the gpu to finish the previous frame.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can somebody tell me why the RTX 3080 TI (used) is so goddamn expensive?

Especially when compared to the 6950X.

It's almost as much as a new RTX 4070 TI.

I'm guessing that it's because of it's relatively late launch, high new price and total lack of (new) availability?

Last edited:
Caporegime

Sadly this guy doesn't upload videos any more but when it comes to input lag, no one knows better, reason we have reflex is because of his videos and work with nvidia.

The reflex options do need some playing about depending on the game i.e. on + boost did introduce stutter for me in hogwarts but on setting was great, 98% of the time though, on + boost works lovely.

Last edited:
Caporegime
just turn all sync tech off, get a high refresh rate screen and lock to 1 FPS below that, even Nvidia advise that for the best experience.

good advice, you don't want the buffer holding frames and you don't want any frame rate variation, just flat consistent frame times as high as your screen can display.

Soldato
Link please, I need to see this! :D
It was igorslab, here is a taste. The 6700xt at 4k has 2.5 times the render latency of a 3070ti at 4k. That's basically more render latency than what FG adds. Insane. If I knew that, I would have never said anything negative about FG in the first place, that's the normal for amd gpus, lol.

Overwatch-2-Traning-Latency-comparison-DX11-Ultra-Reflex_Anti-Lag-on.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The dilemma I have about buying a 6950X (price is alright), is that it is only just about good enough to handle very demanding games at 1440p ultra (like the last of us where it gets a 1% low of 65 FPS)), and the fact that new RDNA3 cards may be just 2-3 months away...

Last edited:
Soldato
just turn all sync tech off, get a high refresh rate screen and lock to 1 FPS below that, even Nvidia advise that for the best experience.

good advice, you don't want the buffer holding frames and you don't want any frame rate variation, just flat consistent frame times as high as your screen can display.
Locking 1 fps below your monitor will have tearing issues. You may not notice it at 165hz monitor - but on 120 or less it might be noticeable. There is no reason to turn off sync. Gsync + Vsnyc + FPS limiter 3-4 fps below your monitors either from control panel or within the game is the best method for minimum input latency and no tearing. Also reflex whenever is available.

Caporegime
Can somebody tell me why the RTX 3080 TI (used) is so goddamn expensive?

Especially when compared to the 6950X.

It's almost as much as a new RTX 4070 TI.

I'm guessing that because of it's relatively late launch, high new price and total lack of (new) availability?

Something is seriously up with the used market, many used GPU's from all sorts of outlets are the same price or even more expensive than they are new at a retailer like this.

Its like they got a taste for selling used cards for higher than new with ridiculous margins and are desperately trying to keep that gravy train going.

Soldato
The dilemma I have about buying a 6950X (price is alright), is that it is only just about good enough to handle very demanding games at 1440p ultra (like the last of us), and the fact that new RDNA3 cards may be just 2-3 months away...
You don't need to play everything maxed out ultra. As much as I wouldn't advice anyone to buy a 6950x over a 4070, im pretty sure the 6950xt will last for a long long time at 1440p with more than decent settings, excluding RT of course.

Caporegime
Locking 1 fps below your monitor will have tearing issues. You may not notice it at 165hz monitor - but on 120 or less it might be noticeable. There is no reason to turn off sync. Gsync + Vsnyc + FPS limiter 3-4 fps below your monitors either from control panel or within the game is the best method for minimum input latency and no tearing. Also reflex whenever is available.

Locking 1 fps below your monitor will have tearing issues. You may not notice it at 165hz monitor

I have not :) its a Free-Sync Premium Screen.

Soldato
OP
The conclusion I've reached is that none of the cards are quite good enough (on price/performance) to buy yet.

The RTX 4070 is still too expensive and not much of an improvement from the RTX 3070, except for the extra 4GB of VRAM.

I think a cheaper RX 7900 XT would suit me perfectly though, especially from a Vega 64.

Last edited:
Soldato
The conclusion I've reached is that none of the cards are good enough (on price/performance) to buy yet.

I think a cheaper RX 7900 XT would suit me perfectly though, especially from a Vega 64.
The 6700xt is pretty dandy actually if you can find it for around the 300€. If it had DLSS support ( :D ) I would have bought 3 of them. It's pretty good value. If you don't care about RT ,maxed out settings and DLSS, 6700xt is the way to go for 1440p. Pretty decent card

Back
Top Bottom