• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

They're doing N33 cause it's an easy peasy decision, they can't lose.

cheap to mass produce, easy to sell in laptops.

Similar to 4nm iGPUs, but I suppose the production cost could be a bit higher.

Last edited:
Yeah, tbf they need more transistors in their next GPU series. But more importantly, the density and efficiency needs to improve so they can scale it more effectively and reduce power usage.

Last edited:
If they could double up the shading units in the Arc A770, it could lead to a really powerful GPU, perhaps similar to a RTX 4070 TI or greater.

But they would have to improve the transistor density and power consumption a huge amount to do that in a single generation.

Last edited:
Well, we can directly compare a RX 6800 RDNA2 GPU to an RDNA3 GPU with 60 CUs.

You should get performance that is 15-20% faster than the RX 6800, so it should be a bit faster than the 72 CU RX 6800 XT.

I'd imagine they'd call it a RX 7800, considering the top Navi32 die has the same CU count as the last gen 60 CU part.

It should compete with the RTX 3080 and RTX 4070.

That would mean that they could release the RX 7800 XT with 70 CUs (on Navi31) at a later point.

That would be congruent with the naming scheme of the workstation W7800 (70 CUs).

In term of the RDNA3 GPUs still to be released, maybe the clock speed fixes that have been talked about, are simply a way to achieve good clock speeds even on the lower quality + lower tier silicon. So, perhaps Navi33 and Navi32 will have similar maximum clocks to Navi31.

Last edited:
I think if they haven't released most of the RDNA3 series by the end of June, I'm giving up.

I'll probably just get an RTX 4070 or something, maybe for £500 by then.

I guess we might see Navi32 graphics cards by June, because they could be considered to be mainstream tier (as opposed to Navi31).

Last edited:
The pricing on the RTX 3080 TI (and RTX 3090 to a lesser extent) is abysmal and always has been.

They should be available for around £600 these days, at that price I might buy one.

Yep. That's why I don't get the Nvidia bad, AMD good rubbish.

I think more people should give AMD cards a chance, given the lower cost per frame of cards like the RX 6700 XT and RX 7900 XT compared to Nvidia's offerings (especially if you shop around, and with more price cuts likely in future). And it hurts Nvidia's profits too, which given their market dominance, can't be bad.

Good or bad is pretty meaningless when choosing PC components :D. Some people might still side with Nvidia due to better RT performance at the very high end (e.g. RTX 4080 and 4090), but it's just not a very compelling reason to most people, due to the huge premium you pay for the privilege. Upscaling differences too seem pretty irrelevant also, most will try to play natively at the resolution they desire anyway.

Last edited:
I am almost definitely sticking with it until next gen :)
Upgrade to an RTX 4080 / RX 7900 XTX would get you 30-35% higher framerate on average. Not much to get excited about.

That's why people keeping saying how good the 4090 is, but still not a desirable upgrade imo, without a huge price drop, or if they were much cheaper 2nd hand/refurbed, which isn't the case.

Last edited:
I wonder if low demand is still affecting prices of RDNA3 graphics cards?

Presumably, AMD is only inclined to increase production of 5nm RDNA3 GPUs, if it believes the existing line-up is selling well.

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me why the RTX 3080 TI (used) is so goddamn expensive?

Especially when compared to the 6950X.

It's almost as much as a new RTX 4070 TI.

I'm guessing that it's because of it's relatively late launch, high new price and total lack of (new) availability?

Last edited:
The dilemma I have about buying a 6950X (price is alright), is that it is only just about good enough to handle very demanding games at 1440p ultra (like the last of us where it gets a 1% low of 65 FPS)), and the fact that new RDNA3 cards may be just 2-3 months away...

Last edited:
The conclusion I've reached is that none of the cards are quite good enough (on price/performance) to buy yet.

The RTX 4070 is still too expensive and not much of an improvement from the RTX 3070, except for the extra 4GB of VRAM.

I think a cheaper RX 7900 XT would suit me perfectly though, especially from a Vega 64.

Last edited:
Im too damn fussy for my own good, the RX 6700 XT would be the logical choice, given the price/performance at 1440p.

I had a RTX 3070 a while ago, then RTX 3080 which broke, so I've come full circle lol.

Maybe I should just buy one now and upgrade later when better (RDNA3) cards become available?

I guess that could be a good move, if I can find a cheap one.

Navi32 would be better ofc, really any of these cards coming out would push down last gen prices though...

A used RTX 3070 might be a better buy, with a warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom