• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

It looks like the 'real' /affordable RDNA3 + next gen NV desktop launch won't launch until September. Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
I changed it to ... because it could still be months away, before the remaining lineup is announced. Nvidia was in the title from the start though.

I didn't expect there to be such a long wait for Navi32 (I could change it to Q3 for Navi 32 GPUs). But at least they've announced some Navi33 GPUs, as unexciting as they no doubt will be.

tbf, that VRAM thread (started in 2021) needed to die, the problem I had was related to a faulty SSD, and it took me a while to identify what the problem was.

By 2023, it had become pretty clear that 8GB wasn't gonna be good enough to play above 1080p in some games, anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Maybe price cuts coming on high end GPUs?

A man can dream.

I'm getting impatient, if I could get a 7900XT for £650 I'd go for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think they just haven't been able to produce enough RX 7900 XTs and RTX 4080s, so they've been keeping the prices high.

Above that tier the prices are always going to be high anyway, it's virtually guaranteed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Haven't we already seen that reflected here too?

The 7900xt RRP is $899 which is just under £900 here with VAT.

They've dropped to £750.

They may drop a bit more maybe, but likely not that much more until new cards or refreshes come out.
I'm thinking £700 for the 7900 XT and £600 (maybe a bit less) for the 7800 (60 CUs, same as the RX 6800).

I'm not sure there will be a 7800 XT, at least, not for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In other news, someone tried to see what a fully unlocked RDNA3 card can do: https://www.pcgamer.com/fully-unlocked-rx-7900-xtx-very-nearly-matches-rtx-4090-performance/
It looks like an excellent choice for heating in winter!
Interesting. Makes you wonder what could be achieved on a TSMC 3nm fab process (which will be used for Zen 5 CPUs), I think they will improve power usage significantly, especially compared to RDNA2.

But at the moment, these high clocks don't seem to be worth the high cost, there seems to be a massive increase in power usage, presumably the voltage has to be cranked up a lot.

The other issue AMD has, is the 4090 isn't even the fastest GPU possible on AD102, with the 4090 TI still to come.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not really, I don't think it puts people off calling it a RX 7900 XT. But, the price is still about 10-20% too high for many.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think RDNA3 with 60 CUs will be competitive at approx £600. I don't think it will be called 'RX 7800 XT'.

I don't think we will see the 70 CU (Navi31 die) part for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
little reason for them to drop the price of the 7900 xt
I think it's mostly based on how many they can produce. If they can increase production of these GPU dies, I think the price will come down.

It was a problem with RDNA2 cards as well (particularly the RX 6800 XT and 6900 XT). They couldn't produce enough to meet the demand (although this has arguably fallen with the RDNA3 series).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
£250-£260 for a 32 CU GPU is about what I'd expect.

That's what the cheapest RX 6600 XTs (or RX 6650 XTs) cost now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Comparing RDNA3 to the RTX 4000 series, it seems like only the RTX 4080 and 4090 have much of a lead in terms of watts per frame:

watt-per-frame.png

There's really not that much in it, I think they will probably catch up in energy efficiency with RDNA4.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think one of the main problems AMD has with Navi32, is that a 60 CU RDNA3 card is likely to only keep up with the RX 6900 XT, or possibly the 6950 XTX if clocked high.

I think the techpowerup's performance estimate is probably roughly correct:

I think the power usage will be less than 300w though, and it may be called the RX 7800 instead, which would be more logical considering that it has the same CU count ss the RX 6800. The main benefit will be FSR3 /frame generation and improved RT performance per CU.

So because it's not a clear improvement from what's on offer, it would explain the delay.

So from that point of view, only Navi31 is likely to offer impressive performance at 1440p/4K.

There could be a 70 CU consumer card eventually.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not sure, I think the Series X GPU is still reasonable, but loses against any card with more compute units (RX 6800 or RX 6800 XT).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How so? Instead of using hyperberbaly like "runs circles" tell me how a $499 graphics card is going to give me a better gaming experience than a $499 console.

Tell me why i should spend $499 on a graphics card for my PC with a 8700k in it instead of just buying a console.
The RX 6800 is around £480. The series X UK price is £450.

If you can get a new RX 6800 for around £450 or then I'd say that's not such a bad deal.

If you're willing to consider used cards, you can get cards with a warranty for ~£400.

If someone doesn't have a PC system already, I would still consider a Series X console.

One thing I'd say in favour of PCs is the number of free games you can get these days, but on the console side you still have things like Game Pass.

And services like GOG basically let you install your games on as many PCs as you like.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
True but i had assumed when i initially said "why anyone, even someone who has an existing PC, would buy a graphics card when they could just buy a console" that people would assume i was talking about new/newly released cards.

Having to tell someone who may want to get into gaming on their PC that they should try to buy a two and a half year old graphics card or look for something on the 2nd hand market kind of sucks, dare i say it's a little embarrassing.
Well, I guess AMD is not quite there yet, in terms of offering something definitely value better than the Series X.

Another 10% drop in prices, then I think the case for getting an AMD card will be clearer.

I think a 'fair price' for the RX 6800 is £400 new, and £300 for the RX 6700 XT.

On the other hard, the current price difference is just £30, so not a massive deal really...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
not sure where AMD go with the 7600 pricing, now the 4060 is 299, depends how much better the 7600 is, the 4060 has efficiency and dlss on its side for those lower res.
£250-£260, about the same price as the last gen 32 CU GPU. But with FSR2 + 3.

I would imagine this card will offer similar efficiency to Nvidia's.

8GB not really a surprise this tier of cards, given that this is what we saw with NAVI33 on laptops.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Because PCs are monstrously more capable than consoles. It really is that simple. And also speaking as someone who has tried a Pro console last time around and that was my first foray into the console world (more or less) I was completely disappointed by the supposed 'bespoke' nature it was famed for and in reality it just functioned as an underpowered gaming PC at best where you had no recourse for fixing a badly running game, which unfortunately happened often enough. So ultimately it's a discounted machine but you don't actually save anything as a result because you're getting a worse experience (not to mention everything else possible on the PC).
Really, consoles are an alternative to the tech ignorant (and I don't mean that as an insult; most people simply don't know & don't care to find out all the info on tech), but if you're on a forum like this and you're even moderately knowledgeable about PCs, then "saving" a few quid in order to severely downgrade how you spend your time is frankly idiotic and pointless. The real question is why would anyone who knows anything about PCs buy a console instead of a PC. There's just no scenario in which it makes sense besides the one where their favourite game/series is console-exclusive.

I'd just like to add that being able to upgrade your system is a massive benefit. If you like you can stick in a low end /used graphics card (or use an iGPU) then upgrade to something much more powerful when you need to/can afford to. Then upgrade again, as new hardware is released. The same applies to CPUs, particularly on the AM5 platform, and the upcoming Meteor Lake platform (whatever the LGA socket is called).

Also, if a part like a GPU, fan or power supply breaks, it's generally pretty easy to replace that part.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure that a 7600 XT is needed. Unless they wanna pack it full of VRAM? Not sure if worth it...

Hopefully ~£400 for a 7700 XT, it would smash Nvidia's offerings at that price, especially if there's 12 or 16GB of VRAM.

I don't think they should charge much more than the 6700 XT (~£350, cheapest I've seen is £333), which is pretty much the most cost effective GPU at the moment.

Probably £550-£600 for a 7800 (60 CUs, maxing out Navi32).

No need for a 7800 XT (yet).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think an interesting comparison is the RX 6800 XT vs the RTX 4090.

Initially it might seem absurd to compare these 2, considering the different performance teirs.

But they both have plenty of VRAM.

The RX 6800 XT has sold for as little as £520 on sale, and could fall below £500.

The RTX 4090 sells for £1500-£1600.

In fairness the 4090 has the best RT performance available right now, but...

The RX 6800 XT offers just over half the performance of the 4090 in 3D graphics /raster.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nvidia have been very clever in undercutting the 6800XT MSRP with the 4070
Does that matter when you can buy them for around £520 in the UK?

The RTX 4070 isn't selling well at current prices, and it should probably be dropped to £500-£525.

It's more likely that Nvidia plans to sell another card at this price point, which I doubt will sell well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom