IT Remake (2017)

Associate
Initial (unofficial) reviews are making the rounds.

In comparison The Dark Tower initial reviews ranged from OK to poor; IT however seems to range from "good" to "probably my favourite movie of the year". SFX has given it 4 stars out of 5, so things are looking good for this movie.

This might be the King movie adaptation we've been waiting for.

Soldato
Initial (unofficial) reviews are making the rounds.

In comparison The Dark Tower initial reviews ranged from OK to poor; IT however seems to range from "good" to "probably my favourite movie of the year". SFX has given it 4 stars out of 5, so things are looking good for this movie.

This might be the King movie adaptation we've been waiting for.

That's really good news. I've been waiting for another good King movie adaptation.

Permabanned
All the talk of not enough budget is a little worrying.

Granted this post is a few weeks old now but what rock have you been living under?There have been lots of articles and nuggets of info released over the last few months.
Really looking forward to seeing this Friday, glad it's not a disaster like Ther dark tower movie.

Reviews are saying it's the best horror movie of the decade and best King (horror) adaption which i suppose is not hard. Is more true to the book than the original movie .

Soldato
Isn't this only a 15 rating? It looks very vanilla on the trailer that I seen in the cinema :(. I just don't think they are capable of making downright scary movies anymore like the originals from the 70's, 80's and early 90's

Soldato
Granted this post is a few weeks old now but what rock have you been living under?There have been lots of articles and nuggets of info released over the last few months.
Really looking forward to seeing this Friday, glad it's not a disaster like Ther dark tower movie.

Reviews are saying it's the best horror movie of the decade and best King (horror) adaption which i suppose is not hard. Is more true to the book than the original movie .
I was referring to what the producer said. Quite a few scenes had to be cut due to not enough budget. I'm also looking forward to it, but I don't get hyped from nuggets of info or reviews as i have been left disappointed many times in the past. It does look pretty good from what i have seen so far, so fingers crossed it will actually be decent.

Permabanned
Tickets booked for what should hopefully be an empty Monday afternoon screening. Really looking forward to it! All my go to reviewers have given it high praise. It'll all come down to the scares... If it doesn't get my palms sweating, it'll have failed.

Soldato
Tickets booked for what should hopefully be an empty Monday afternoon screening. Really looking forward to it! All my go to reviewers have given it high praise. It'll all come down to the scares... If it doesn't get my palms sweating, it'll have failed.
Do people still get scared watching films, last time I was sacred by a film I was 12 years old when I pestered my dad in letting me watch the thing, lasted till the dogs head peeled back, didnt stroke a dog for weeks after that.:p This film does look good though got that Stranger Things vibe to it.

Soldato
Jesus, that article says they considered Tilda Swinton as Pennywise. She's a scary looking broad but that would have been the worst miscast since she played one of the main characters in Doctor Strange. Awful actress, just awful.
I think you may have just seen her whilst not at her best. She was superb in We need to talk about Kevin, The Grand Budapest Hotel, A Bigger Splash, and countless more.

Permabanned
Do people still get scared watching films, last time I was sacred by a film I was 12 years old when I pestered my dad in letting me watch the thing, lasted till the dogs head peeled back, didnt stroke a dog for weeks after that.:p This film does look good though got that Stranger Things vibe to it.

It is rare, but that's more down to the quality of horror flicks these days then me actually growing a spine xD

'The Babadook' was the last film that truly stayed with me in that sense. Had an extremely restless night after watching that... 'The Shining' still creeps me out too.

I think you may have just seen her whilst not at her best. She was superb in We need to talk about Kevin, The Grand Budapest Hotel, A Bigger Splash, and countless more.

Yeah she'd have been great. I was still routing for Will Poulter until Scarzgard was cast. Such a fantastic actor with a very unique face.

Soldato
Isn't this only a 15 rating? It looks very vanilla on the trailer that I seen in the cinema :(. I just don't think they are capable of making downright scary movies anymore like the originals from the 70's, 80's and early 90's

Things have changed. Those old horror movies wouldn't have the same impact if they were released today.

It's getting harder to scare the people that go to see these types of movies. One possible reason is that nowadays many people have become desensitised over the years by ever increasing extremes and the tricks used in movies to scare people, just don't work as well as they once did.

Jesus, that article says they considered Tilda Swinton as Pennywise. She's a scary looking broad but that would have been the worst miscast since she played one of the main characters in Doctor Strange. Awful actress, just awful.

You're basing her abilities as an actress on one movie? and a silly comic book movie at that, where actors just go though the motions.

Permabanned
I've always thought horror is ironically much like comedy. What gets people scared is as subjective as what makes them laugh, making films of both genres largely immune to criticism. Though obviously a film can be 'objectively' well or poorly made, regardless of it's subject matter.

Whilst I think we have become desensitised to a lot of film making tricks (particular those used in horror flicks), the best examples still shine through. I just think we've seen a decrease in the overall quality of horror film making. Back in the day, slasher flicks where novel and many filmmakers still try to sell there movies on that same novelty without a touch of nuance or progression. It's a genre that's taken it's sweet time to evolve. 'Less is more' is starting to become a thing. Just look at flciks like 'The Witch', 'The Babadook' and 'It Follows'. Though of course, they're still largely derivative in certain respects, but what isn't?

Soldato
I'm largely desensitized to horror these days through over exposure. I've found in recent years it's the more simple scares that get me. A recent movie i watched was Hell House LLC, very simple strobe effects, slow build up with mannequins seeminlgy moving of their own accord off camera and I was on edge for the duration of the film.

Caporegime
I've read a fair few reviews and sadly there's quite a few if they're to be believed :/
If so, I may have to wait until I can watch it at home. Jump scenes are far less effective on a normal TV from 12ft away than a ginormous screened, loud cinema.

I handled the original fine. I also found the first conjuring ok. There's obviously a skill to a properly effective jump scene. Not as easy as it seems at first.

Back
Top Bottom