IT Remake (2017)

Permabanned
If so, I may have to wait until I can watch it at home. Jump scenes are far less effective on a normal TV from 12ft away than a ginormous screened, loud cinema.

I handled the original fine. I also found the first conjuring ok. There's obviously a skill to a properly effective jump scene. Not as easy as it seems at first.

Indeed. Don't ever watch Mulholland Drive if you've got a heart condition. There's a single jump scare in that flick that absolutely destroys me every time.

Caporegime
i can recommend Stir of Echoes for one of the best, most unexpected cattleprods ever.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I didn't think it was that bad. The nun jump scenes in Conjuring 2 got me. I think it's scary facces sunddenly appearing that do it to me. The Woman in black when he touches the window got me too.

With a lot of jumpy films, I rip them from DVD on to Kodi and download an srt file from the Where's the jump website. These don't give subs but flash up a five second warning of the jump, which makes me enjoy the film a lot more.

Soldato
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I didn't think it was that bad. The nun jump scenes in Conjuring 2 got me. I think it's scary facces sunddenly appearing that do it to me. The Woman in black when he touches the window got me too.

With a lot of jumpy films, I rip them from DVD on to Kodi and download an srt file from the Where's the jump website. These don't give subs but flash up a five second warning of the jump, which makes me enjoy the film a lot more.
that WIB bit was the best part of a poor movie - if you've not seen the original TV version, i'd recommend it, far creepier and no stupid ending. also had a good jolt or too.

Permabanned
Yeah, it's a perfectly executed scare

Absolutely. That, and the one from Mulholland Drive show that there's no specific framework for a great jump scare. With Mulholland Drive, you feel it coming and you KNOW what's behind that wall, but the horror of it is in both the build up and the reveal itself, DESPITE that knowing. With Exorcist III, there's no expectation really. It comes on you with pure, unadulterated horror in an instance. Another great example I always point too is the bear BJ scene in The Shining. That long tracking shot of Duvall as she's going up the stares ending with that look of abhorrent horror on her face as she see's what's going on before we do. Perfect. The editing in all three (or lack thereof in EIII) is sublime.

There's certainly power in the derivative 'dark room and building music tone of dread' technique that a lot of horror movies use these days, but these three scenes prove that there are other ways of scaring an audience half to death.

Last edited:
Soldato

You know they are making a film about that nun. I have to agree i found her terrifying.

Soldato
I just got back from watching IT,

As much as i enjoyed the original movie, and considering I normally hate remakes - this was really excellent, blew the original away.

I'm also not ashamed to admit that it scared the ******* **** out of me, honest god, easily one of the scariest films I've seen for years,

Really liked the Wes Craven influences and the throwback to the 80s, very well done.

Soldato
Saw this last night as well.

Its time to forget Tim Curry because Bill Skarsgard is just excellent.

Thoroughly enjoyed this and despite being a fan of the book and the 90s mini series and knowing the material well this film was very unsettling.

A couple of absolutely epic jump scenes but the sense of dreaded that crawls through the film (with a few comic intervals) is immense.

Back
Top Bottom