IT Remake (2017)

Soldato
The original should have been rated 25, not 15.

It's one of two films that genuinely scared me as a kid.

It seems it was because we were kids. Having watched it again as an adult in the 21st century, it's almost comically not scary. Hard to tell if it was scary to adults in the 80s or not and whether we have just become very desensitised.

Don
It seems it was because we were kids. Having watched it again as an adult in the 21st century, it's almost comically not scary. Hard to tell if it was scary to adults in the 80s or not and whether we have just become very desensitised.

I think my younger brother was about 7 or 8 when we watched it, he's far more scared than I am :D

Associate
i loved the book when i was younger ..little bit of trivia , in the book the "thing" comes to town every 27 years , this remake is 27 years after the first film was made

Associate
I kind of feel that it is a bit foolish these days to expect much from any remake or re-adaptation made post-2000.

I would really like to be proved wrong.

Plus the stupid frilly cheetah-clown.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm really looking forward to this, I love the book and the mini series and at least with the advances in special effects we may get a decent monster this time. Saying that though the way it's described in the book is pretty much impossible to do justice to.

As for the bonding scene at best they may allude to it but anymore than that I'd be very surprised to see.

Caporegime
I doubt we will see anything of the monster in this one, I think this film is just the first half? IE: when they were kids.

I bought the book to read before the remake comes out, it's absolutely huge!!

Associate
I doubt we will see anything of the monster in this one, I think this film is just the first half? IE: when they were kids.

I bought the book to read before the remake comes out, it's absolutely huge!!

I don't want to spoil the story for you but the monster does appear during the kids timeline.

Associate
at least with the advances in special effects we may get a decent monster this time

If anything I would say that special effects have gone backwards since 1990. At least back then there were big name SFX guys like Stan Winston (not that there aren't any now) who did all the big movies. Everything was real...everything was awesome and three dimensional and slimy. Now it seems like the default is just to CGI everything which a lot of the time (despite how it has come on in the last decade) looks weightless, not quite right and also takes a lot of the suspense out of films because they just show everything full frontal ropey CGI instead of just giving us a little glimpse like they used to.

Soldato
This is a 2 parter isn't it, with the next one coming in 2018?

Have they confirmed 2018 for part 2? I don't know if they've even started filming it yet.

They have a second film planned but the director has said in a recent interview that this can easily be a standalone film, it won't require the sequel to finish the story. Part 1 is just them as kids, the assumption being part 2 will be them as adults. There will be no overwhelming 80's feel to the film and no spider/turtle/alien type visuals.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/lots-of-details-on-the-it-adaptation/

Soldato
Jesus, that article says they considered Tilda Swinton as Pennywise. She's a scary looking broad but that would have been the worst miscast since she played one of the main characters in Doctor Strange. Awful actress, just awful.

Back
Top Bottom