Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2019, Monza - Race 14/21

Rate the 2019 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
I guess only let down by never really believing Bottas was a threat to leclerc.
It does suck merc don't have a competitive number 2.Great for merc as they are comfortable wdc/wcc but not great for fans.

Could be more of a problem next year or the year after if Mercedes don’t quite have the edge.

Caporegime
Could be more of a problem next year or the year after if Mercedes don’t quite have the edge.

It would be nice ina away if mercs complacency, over confidence bites them in this way.

It would be great to see if keeping team harmony by having a clear number 1 and number 2 loses you the championship because the competition is too close and has gone with no clear difference in team mate performance

Soldato
Does anyone think Bottas gets a perhaps slightly unfair bad rap as a driver? When you look at the standings, he's only 63 points behind Hamilton. I wonder what his points would be if for example he was in a Ferrari or Red Bull, does anyone here think he would he have scored the same or better as Max, Seb, or Leclerc?

Soldato
Does anyone think Bottas gets a perhaps slightly unfair bad rap as a driver? When you look at the standings, he's only 63 points behind Hamilton. I wonder what his points would be if for example he was in a Ferrari or Red Bull, does anyone here think he would he have scored the same or better as Max, Seb, or Leclerc?

I think he has been a bit unlucky coming in at a time when Ferrari and Red Bull have finally become competitive after a few years of Mercedes dominance. If he had the same situation as Rosberg, Bottas would be coming in very solid second place, and even a chance at the WDC if Hamilton had the same shocking reliability that allowed Rosberg to squeak into a championship.

But them's the breaks. He's been given a massive chance, and not been able to capitalize, although like all the other drivers, he's unlucky to be racing at a time when there's a Hamilton out there to beat, and now there's Leclerc and Vestappen in competitive machinery too.

Caporegime
Does anyone think Bottas gets a perhaps slightly unfair bad rap as a driver?

Nope.

When you look at the standings, he's only 63 points behind Hamilton. I wonder what his points would be if for example he was in a Ferrari or Red Bull, does anyone here think he would he have scored the same or better as Max, Seb, or Leclerc?

Lol. No.

Bottas has done better this season, to be fair, but last season he came fifth. Fifth! Not even a single win to his name, sitting in the same car that soundly won the WDC and WCC. That's shockingly poor. Bottas is a pretty good at delivering one lap performances, and can turn a pole into a win at a reasonable rate, but he's very poor at coming through the field and poor at taking opportunities. I have no doubt that Leclerc, Max, and even Seb, would soundly flatten him in a head to head.

He's about as midfield a driver as you could find.

Caporegime
I think he has been a bit unlucky coming in at a time when Ferrari and Red Bull have finally become competitive after a few years of Mercedes dominance. If he had the same situation as Rosberg, Bottas would be coming in very solid second place, and even a chance at the WDC if Hamilton had the same shocking reliability that allowed Rosberg to squeak into a championship.

Nico is a considerably better driver than Bottas. Look at how close Nico was to Hamilton in 2013, for example, but Nico has always been much closer to Hamilton.

Soldato
Ferrari have the best power unit but Mercedes have the better package overall, the results this year make that clear to see.

I'll eat my words if Ferrari win in Singapore next race.

If Ferrari ran the same amount of downforce the Merc has then I doubt we would see them having an advantage on the straights.

Soldato
This comment on RF made me chuckle and actually says it all...

"Bottas is such a dud. Let’s be honest as soon as we saw Lewis lock up this victory was a guaranteed thing. Had some friends at the track who basically went wild and started the party as soon as it happened because nobody bets on Bottas, and with good reason as he showed."

Soldato
Nico is a considerably better driver than Bottas. Look at how close Nico was to Hamilton in 2013, for example, but Nico has always been much closer to Hamilton.

Rosberg never had other competitive drivers/cars to deal with in the hybrid era. He only just managed to win a WDC when Hamilton had significantly worse reliability. Put Rosberg in a Mercedes today, and he'd be getting mugged by Leclerc and Verstappen in a way that he wasn't a few years back. I'd consider Rosberg a bit better than Bottas, but also still way down on Hamilton, and very much flattered by driving at a time when he had a dominant car and not many serious rivals except his team mate.

Soldato
In commentary, Brundle said that Merc haven’t allowed their drivers to use maximum engine modes. Presumably since the Williams engines went pop, but can anyone confirm?

They gave Bottas clearance to use max engine mode. Not sure when but the radio message came through two thirds around the last lap!

For me it highlighted just how far ahead Lewis is compared to Bottas. Even on newer tyres and max engine mode Bottas was miles off and couldnt live with Leclerc (and made a bad mistake right at the moment he needed to be perfect).

Caporegime
Rosberg never had other competitive drivers/cars to deal with in the hybrid era. He only just managed to win a WDC when Hamilton had significantly worse reliability. Put Rosberg in a Mercedes today, and he'd be getting mugged by Leclerc and Verstappen in a way that he wasn't a few years back. I'd consider Rosberg a bit better than Bottas, but also still way down on Hamilton, and very much flattered by driving at a time when he had a dominant car and not many serious rivals except his team mate.

I'd consider Rosberg a lot better than Bottas, but a way down on Hamilton. Rosberg strikes me as a driver on a par with a number of other single world championship winners: good enough to seize their chance in the right car but not good enough to make it happen across multiple seasons. Rosberg's racing record is solid in general, and while Michael may have been past his best when he returned, he was still a driver to be reckoned with and Rosberg made him look ordinary across three straight seasons. I think some of Mercedes apparent vulnerability comes from the comparison of the other teams to the much weaker Bottas.

I have little doubt that had Hamilton not come into that second seat, Rosberg would be cruising to his fifth or sixth WDC at this point.

Soldato
They gave Bottas clearance to use max engine mode. Not sure when but the radio message came through two thirds around the last lap!

For me it highlighted just how far ahead Lewis is compared to Bottas. Even on newer tyres and max engine mode Bottas was miles off and couldnt live with Leclerc (and made a bad mistake right at the moment he needed to be perfect).
I think Wolff will regret re-signing bottas for another year. RB are going to be a decent threat next season, that Honda PU is really picking up and when Albon finds his feet, and when Ferrari capitalise on that powerful PU, Merc are going to be seriously pushed. And when it comes down to it Bottas is going to HAVE to produce results but will he? Can he deliver against Verstappen and Albon, and Leclerc? No he cannot, and what if Vettel does actually get his act together? It could be the end of the silver arrows reign and it'll be because of him.

Back
Top Bottom