Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2019, Monza - Race 14/21

Rate the 2019 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
10mins into the race catching up. Is the director special needs?

An absolute shambles. They couldn’t work out which replay to show. They cut away from the action to focus on a Renault leaving the pits.

Fair play to Ferrari. They have out developed Mercedes incredible engine to the point where drs doesn’t even help.

Soldato
I just don't get why Leclerc wasn't penalised for that corner cutting advantage, especially right after the black and white flag. A penalty would no doubt have put Hamilton into the lead. I wonder how much the stewards got paid to protect Ferrari.

Soldato
Vettel is contracted for the 2020 season. But it really looks like that Ferrari have finally dragged him down to their level.

I watched the race late. The kindest way that I can describe it is that the boundaries and interpretation of the current rules are being rewritten. LeClerc went too far. The stewards didn't go far enough.

Soldato
Ferrari International Assistance (FIA)

F1 and Ferrari are corrupt. Racing is unfair and inconsistently dealing with cheaters. The sport is rotting.

Soldato
There are plenty of good options. They could try and tempt Lewis or Max, they could trust in the young blood of someone like Russell or even Mick Schumacher, or they could even bring Alonso in from the cold.
No chance, Russell will be in a Merc in 2021.

I just don't get why Leclerc wasn't penalised for that corner cutting advantage, especially right after the black and white flag. A penalty would no doubt have put Hamilton into the lead. I wonder how much the stewards got paid to protect Ferrari.
They didn't get paid, they are just weak, inconsistent and predictable.
Vettel is contracted for the 2020 season. But it really looks like that Ferrari have finally dragged him down to their level.
Contracts can be dodged...
Why the hell is Verstappen anywhere near driver of that day?
Why is Bottas so useless?
He's always been useless, biggest farce of a deserving top seat right behind Vettel...

Caporegime

I watched the race late. The kindest way that I can describe it is that the boundaries and interpretation of the current rules are being rewritten. LeClerc went too far. The stewards didn't go far enough.

Very few people are daft enough to give up 30mil, though Rosberg gave up something like 18mil a year to quit. The difference being if Vettel just won a title a game of Fifa finally then goes him he could play on the "maybe I'd have won again next year" for a while. Vettel doesn't have that reason, he's going to likely get beat this year and beat harder next year (by Leclerc, he's going to get trashed by Ham both years).

Outside chance he'll think about the danger, more kids, marriage and think screw it, he's got enough money and risking more is stupid so he hangs up his boots this season.

His choices next year are bad, if Honda/RBR are competitive, they don't want Vettel in the team spinning and dropping points or being a sore thumb, the WDC who feels like he should be no.1. Merc, they'd be crazy to go that way with Verstappen and Leclerc becoming real threats. Ferrari can't just offer him 5mil to be a no.2 driver and they need someone who doesn't mess up as often now and he'd likely not accept a massive wage drop and position in the team change. Mclaren and Renault won't be competitive any time soon.

I think if he waits to 2021, he'll have really poor options, low wage offers and not at the teams he wants or the no.1 role he'll want.

I'm guessing he's going to announce his retirement mid year next year or early year before rumours and talks about Ferrari looking for a new team mate for Leclerc come out that way it's 'his' decision and not Ferrari not giving him a new contract.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I think we’re behind too harsh on Vettel. He’s having a nightmare (no doubt about that) but every driver goes through a bad spell. Look at Hamilton in 2012.

However, I did chuckle when Vettel span at the chicane as it reminded me of his spin last year and how everyone called foul of Lewis... his heart must have sank when he dropped it on his own accord :D

Next year should be a great season. Ferrari clearly have the best power unit and Merc have the experience and momentum of winning, so if the boys in red don’t make the silly mistakes they’ve made this year and Vettel doesn’t **** the bed, it’ll be a season-long battle.

Oh and Bottas can do one. I have zero belief he will make a move stick when it matters, the guy is a damp squib and I’m sick of the seat going to an also-ran. Say what you want about Ferrari but they’ve got two great drivers and Merc have 1 and a half.

Associate
Bottas is just not a Mercedes driver.

I'd argue he suits Mercedes though. A reasonably competitive safe pair of hands that will bring the car home and score enough points to keep them very competitive in the Constructors, whilst not seriously threatening their generational driver. Merc don't need two elite performers: in a car that can win races, Hamilton will get the job done period bar technical issues. Someone like Bottas gives them the type of stability they didn't have when Rosberg was able to challenge and he and Hamilton were dicing and occasionally taking each other out.

I think Wolff would prefer Bottas being able to win the odd race and score points, rather than Merc throwing away races they should have won. At least for the moment, whilst Hamilton still has juice in the tank.

Race anecdote: I liked Albon's brave but ultimately unrewarded attempt at an outside pass around Lesmo. Horner must be thanking the gods he finally has a number two with a bit of aggression and chutzpah, after Gashly's performances.

Caporegime
I think we’re behind too harsh on Vettel. He’s having a nightmare (no doubt about that) but every driver goes through a bad spell. Look at Hamilton in 2012.

However, I did chuckle when Vettel span at the chicane as it reminded me of his spin last year and how everyone called foul of Lewis... his heart must have sank when he dropped it on his own accord :D

Next year should be a great season. Ferrari clearly have the best power unit and Merc have the experience and momentum of winning, so if the boys in red don’t make the silly mistakes they’ve made this year and Vettel doesn’t **** the bed, it’ll be a season-long battle.

Oh and Bottas can do one. I have zero belief he will make a move stick when it matters, the guy is a damp squib and I’m sick of the seat going to an also-ran. Say what you want about Ferrari but they’ve got two great drivers and Merc have 1 and a half.

It's been over three years, and in 2012, he still trashed Button on outright pace, he would be 15 seconds up the road down to being hugely faster, and then the team would put him behind Button at a pitstop. Or he does a decent move on Massa and Massa decides apex is his like always. A couple of crashes were Hamilton's fault but they were pretty damn minor. His raw pace was still there, he still had amazing races and wins.

Vettel's pace is lacking, his race pace is poor, his race craft has gone to hell, he's been involved in lots of crashes, lots of start errors and he's thrown away two genuine title fights with arguably the better car.

This isn't a small bit of bad form and it's not a couple of races in one year.

Soldato
Not exactly Vettel's no.1 fan, but we're going a bit extreme here. Someone is either amazing or they're complete horse ****. Rarely a middle ground.
On his day, he's decent. Maybe a bit inconsistent if he's going to be Ferrari's no.2 driver though.
As for Bottas. I'm not sure what people's problem is. Damned if does and damned if doesn't. He's the no.2 you all want. Challenging Hamilton wouldn't put him in the good books.

Need some more balance here rather than absolute hatred any time someone does something you don't like.
FIA being called Ferrari international assistance again... Come on. What year is it?
I've only been reading race reports for the last few seasons, but plenty doesn't go their way.

Soldato
Ferrari clearly have the best power unit and Merc have the experience and momentum of winning

Ferrari have the best power unit but Mercedes have the better package overall, the results this year make that clear to see.

I'll eat my words if Ferrari win in Singapore next race.

Soldato
Ironic coming from a week where one person died, one's in a coma in hospital, and one was lucky to get off with a broken vertebrae. You slacken off on safety at your peril.

Apologies for double post. On phone and editor went a bit crazy when tried to edit this in.
I don't think it's ironic. We are talking a genuine freak racing incident, and some terrible track modifications. In lower ability series.
Go back to gravel traps, throw all the horrific sausages in the bin. The car safety improvements are great, and should continue to be developed.

There's been many deaths in multiple series, I think it would be impossible to completely remove this possibility without having robots in the car. The only area we seem to be stagnating or even receding in is track design.

Soldato
Not exactly Vettel's no.1 fan, but we're going a bit extreme here. Someone is either amazing or they're complete horse ****. Rarely a middle ground.
On his day, he's decent. Maybe a bit inconsistent if he's going to be Ferrari's no.2 driver though.
As for Bottas. I'm not sure what people's problem is. Damned if does and damned if doesn't. He's the no.2 you all want. Challenging Hamilton wouldn't put him in the good books.
It's not about challenging hamilton, it's about capitalising which he rarely does. Had RB had two decent drivers from the start, with Bottas poor performances he's had they could have been right up there with Merc and that is the problem. People keep saying he's a safe pair of hands but he just isn't.

Soldato
The money he is on. There's just no way Mercedes would have put him on another year if he wasn't doing what they needed. Unless he's got some dubious Toto blackmail photos. :D
I think he's getting a bit of the Vettel treatment from folk here.

Man of Honour
It was impressive yesterday how all of the TV coverage failed to notice that on one of Ferrari's two strongest tracks, mercedes a) achieved a double podium and b) outscored them in the WCC.

Ferrari have the best power unit but Mercedes have the better package overall, the results this year make that clear to see.

I'll eat my words if Ferrari win in Singapore next race.

Yup, Mercedes race pace and corner speed is far superior. You could see it in the middle sector in Spa when by the end of the race the Mercedes was a second quicker than the Ferrari. I suspect to see Ferrari back to the 3rd best team in Singapore.

Ferrari's PU is impressive though - not only is it more powerful, it also seems reliable and doesn't run out of fuel like it did at the start of the year. Mercedes have work to do in that area - unless they decide to focus on 2021.

Soldato
Yup, Mercedes race pace and corner speed is far superior. You could see it in the middle sector in Spa when by the end of the race the Mercedes was a second quicker than the Ferrari. I suspect to see Ferrari back to the 3rd best team in Singapore.

Ferrari's PU is impressive though - not only is it more powerful, it also seems reliable and doesn't run out of fuel like it did at the start of the year. Mercedes have work to do in that area - unless they decide to focus on 2021.

I agree they will be third best, I think Red Bull will be very strong in Singapore and will fight for podium.

The PU is mighty impressive, even with DRS the Mercs struggled to get close enough for an overtake, I reckon if the pit straight was a bit longer though then they might have.

Looking forward to Singapore, it was great to watch that race in person last year and hoping for an entertaining race.

Back
Top Bottom