Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2019, Monza - Race 14/21

Rate the 2019 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don
The problem is that Vettel is now 5th in the WDC. I would bet he's probably the highest earner of all the drivers on the grid, and he's not justifying that cost right now and hasn't shown it for the past two seasons now.

Man of Honour
I gave it a 4/10 simply because of the pathetic inconsistant stewarding. That was just ridiculous form Leclerc. Good drive from Lewis but not much he could have done with Leclerc weaving all over the track and cutting corners. Not the first time I have said this but Bottas is useless. I guess Merc resigned him for another year because he is a solid number 2 driver but he will never be a world champion, he just doesn't have the hunger for it. Vettel should just do the right thing and retire. He seems to be at the bottom of a very deep pit and instead of him climbing his way out he is going deeper.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

In commentary, Brundle said that Merc haven’t allowed their drivers to use maximum engine modes. Presumably since the Williams engines went pop, but can anyone confirm?

Associate
In commentary, Brundle said that Merc haven’t allowed their drivers to use maximum engine modes. Presumably since the Williams engines went pop, but can anyone confirm?
Interesting. I do remember Hamilton saying over the radio that he "needs more power". Whether this meant the engine mode or whether it was an Alonso to Honda type reference I've no idea.

Caporegime
The problem is that Vettel is now 5th in the WDC. I would bet he's probably the highest earner of all the drivers on the grid, and he's not justifying that cost right now and hasn't shown it for the past two seasons now.

According to this source, he's the second highest behind Lewis. 40 million is a lot of bread for an underperforming driver, either way.

Caporegime
They really made a rod for their own back.. Black and white flag.. Any more infringements ... Penalty.

Cuts corner.. No penalty!

Either on their own was passable. But combo was the breaker

I loved how you just knew Bottas didn't have a chance to get leclerc. If Hamilton couldn't do it was a forgone conclusion Bottas wouldnt. Everyone knows it.

Caporegime
I would feel sorry for him if he wasn’t earning such a ridiculous salary. Let’s not forget all the free Ferrari’s etc.
He’s set for life and could afford ten Ferrari’s and be allowed into the factory and paddock any time he likes as long as he doesn’t burn his bridges. He doesn’t need it and it seems like he’s realising this himself.

smr

smr

Soldato
One of my favourite races of the season. I remember thinking half way through that I'd have been just as happy and entertained had it been a race just between three cars - Bot, Ham and Leclerc.

Loved the way Ferrari opted for the hards and effectively outwitted Mercedes. Durability was key but they had the pace on them which was also critical.

Harvesting was measured perfectly (and deployment) looked like he must have deployed after Parabolica? The straight line speed of the engine coupled with ERS was too strong for Ham, and when he did get close the car's aero wobbled about in Leclerc's wake. Same for Bottas.

Loved the way that when one Silver Arrow had been spent, the other came up like a cruise missile, attempting to take the Ferrari on.

Really enjoyable race.

Associate
Imagine if they had given Leclerc a 5 second time penalty as they probably should have done, we would have had the same outcome as Canada where a Ferrari finished first on track but gets demoted afterwards. It was a PR mess back then with the fans booing but it would have been ten times worse for F1 if the same had happened yesterday due to the crazy nature of the Tiffosi... it would have been the most hostile podium of Hamiltons career by far and a bad advert for F1 with the fans booing.

It's hard to believe this didn't cross the stewards minds at some point in the decision making.

Man of Honour
Imagine if they had given him a 5 second time penalty, we would have had the same outcome as Canada where a Ferrari finished first on track but gets demoted afterwards, it was a PR mess back then with the fans booing but it would have been ten times worse for F1 if the same had happened yesterday due to the crazy nature of the Tiffosi... it would have been the most hostile podium of Hamiltons career by far and a bad advert for F1 with the fans booing.

It's hard to believe this didn't cross the stewards minds at some point.

There probably would have been a riot. The fans were already booing for some reason. I'd like to see Hamilton in a Ferrari just to see how quickly they switch their allegiance. I think we will see it to, as soon as Mercedes stop being at the front.

The thing is, Leclerc seems to think this is the way to drive. That may work against Hamilton who is thinking of preservation and the WDC. Try that again on Max and it ends in tears, certainly damage and likely the loss of the win. I do look forward to Leclerc and Max's next encounter.

I give the race a 5. It was thrilling, but I am genuinely confused what the rules are now. Perhaps F1 2019 online racing is how it is meant to be after all?

Caporegime

I think the problem is he has now lost confidence in himself, after winning multiple (albeit easy) championships it was understandable that he would believe the hype about how he's the greatest F1 driver ever but he's been steadily worn down losing duels against Hamilton whilst making a catalogue of errors along the way. He binned it in Germany, binned it in Canada, binned it yesterday in Monza and still hasn't learned about rejoining the track safely, spun or collided several times after Hamilton mugged him for position on track, let his frustration show by ramming Hamilton under the safety car. Now, he's more often than not being outperformed by a young upstart in the same car on a fraction of his wages who has achieved something he couldn't, winning at Monza in the Ferrari.

I said on this forum at the height of Vettel's career that we'll see how good a driver he is when he no longer has by far the best car on the grid and can't just qualify on pole and drive off into the distance. We've found out, he can be fast but is nothing exceptional and in my opinion his overall racecraft is lacking compared to what you'd expect from someone of his age who has won as much as he has won. Hamilton is by far a more complete driver today and that's probably thanks to the tough periods in his career which Vettel has never had, until now, but he looks to have thrown the towel in rather than embrace the challenge.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One of my favourite races of the season. I remember thinking half way through that I'd have been just as happy and entertained had it been a race just between three cars - Bot, Ham and Leclerc.

Loved the way Ferrari opted for the hards and effectively outwitted Mercedes. Durability was key but they had the pace on them which was also critical.

Harvesting was measured perfectly (and deployment) looked like he must have deployed after Parabolica? The straight line speed of the engine coupled with ERS was too strong for Ham, and when he did get close the car's aero wobbled about in Leclerc's wake. Same for Bottas.

Loved the way that when one Silver Arrow had been spent, the other came up like a cruise missile, attempting to take the Ferrari on.

Really enjoyable race.

Same, rated an 8 for me

No weather issues but really interesting.

Bit of controversy with rules being bent due to monza
Good tactics by ferrari shock
Vettel looking like a right plumb
Hamilton pressuring leclerc
A hilarious q3

I guess only let down by never really believing Bottas was a threat to leclerc.
It does suck merc don't have a competitive number 2.Great for merc as they are comfortable wdc/wcc but not great for fans.

Associate
Hamilton is by far a more complete driver today and that's probably thanks to the tough periods in his career which Vettel has never had, until now, but he looks to have thrown the towel in rather than embrace the challenge.
I think some drivers naturally have great race-craft ability and others just don't have it. I'd say that for Vettel, Bottas and Grosjean, whilst they can be fast on their day (rarer for some more than others), they haven't got any race-craft.

Caporegime
I think some drivers naturally have great race-craft ability and others just don't have it. I'd say that for Vettel, Bottas and Grosjean, whilst they can be fast on their day (rarer for some more than others), they haven't got any race-craft.

Id say its innate ability.
Bottas doesn't have the ability to compete with Hamilton. In sure he knows what to do but just can't do it. Same with vettel. Vettel has done things he now struggles with. Coming from behind.

Grosjean, he may be the one who lacks race craft

Back
Top Bottom