Its Coming - Ahsoka

Caporegime
But that makes sense. Ahsoka was trained by Anakin who was trained by Obi Wan who also trained Luke. Unsurprising that they use the same methods. I didn't think Sabine was as whiny as Luke either. It was a wooh not a woohoo too :p

Caporegime
Jedi training in the middle of the ship, put a helmet on so blind, moany padawan, sudden attack by enemies, using gun turret even got a woohoo just like Luke.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy overall but it really did feel like a modern retake of that whole scene.

Yup, soon as the helmet got brought out i expected it to play out that way, and it did.

I get doffing the cap to previous entries, but that was a bit much.

Man of Honour
I think casual viewers like me label these sort of shows ‘periphery’ or similar. There’s a certain ‘non-essential-ness’ to it, almost like a video game side quest that you only need to complete to see some extra story. If it was great, important story… it would just be in the film / main game (so the subconscious presumption goes). I guess that’s what happens when you expand a universe to its content consuming limits. I love video games but I tire of the whole ‘collect all the things’ stuff that distracts from the core fun of the game, which is padding content or for completionists only.

I’ve never bothered with any of the animated Star Wars stuff for this reason. I’ve also never bothered with any of the Marvel TV shows, aside from Loki (which I thought was pretty good). I’d rather expand my consumption of a different sort of story altogether. I’m just not bothered, personally. Then, I never bother with B periphery Marvel films either… I really couldn’t care less about ‘Ant Man’ (….. I mean, Ant Man?!?).

That doesn’t mean that the expanded content can’t be good, but it needs to stand up on its own two feet. The only Star Wars TV shows to really accomplish this have been Andor (more political and slow burn) and Mando series 1 (world building and adventuring in short doses). Mando 2 was still fun. Unfortunately, Boba Fett, Obi Wan and Mando 3 really weren’t very good at all and I think that has damaged my perception of the brand slightly.

Despite watching the above shows, I still wouldn’t be able to tell you who Ashoka was by name.

So that leads me to browsing the thread to see if it’s going to be another Boba Fett / Mando 3, or something more like Andor. Personally, I don’t care how many other people are watching it… I’m just interested in discussion on the merits of the show.

Too early to tell from what I’ve read so far! But personally I thought that Andor only really came together in its latter half, after a lot of set up. The scenes with the Imperial investigation officers / office politics was, to my surprise, probably the most interesting Star Wars has been for a long time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I've enjoyed it so far. Not even close to Andor but still good.

I can't decide if Sabine is being played like her character in Rebels enough and likewise Syndulla but they're not jarringly off.

I think Sabine is using Ezra's speeder bike in Ep1, only noticed because I'm doing a Reels rewatch at the moment. Which is reaffirming my belief that almost every bit of Rebels is better than almost every bit of the sequel trilogy.

I think I'd like a flashback of Kanan Jarrus, Freddie Prince Jr is the right age to pull it off if he grows a beard.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Starwars stuff

If you ever have time and you like starwars "enough" watch the clone wars and Rebels. Once you get over it's a cartoon, and it gets going, the first few episodes are always clunky, it's really pretty entertaining. And it's "old"star wars too, a bit of Disney bastardisation but not too much.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you ever have time and you like starwars "enough" watch the clone wars and Rebels. Once you get over it's a cartoon, and it gets going, the first few episodes are always clunky, it's really pretty entertaining. And it's "old"star wars too, a bit of Disney bastardisation but not too much.

Thanks for the recommendation :) - it’s probably unlikely I’ll get round to it, but I’ll be open minded!

Soldato
I thought episode 3 was fine. Better than 2 at least. It's good to see Hera's kid, at least we know he's about. Ok space fight, not sure why some people were fawning over it, It's pretty standard fair like we saw in Mando. I saw some comments online before I watched it so I thought the whole fleet was going into battle or something.

There was only one scene this week where it had the awkwardly stilted dialogue. It's always between Hera and Ahsoka only, no one else, it's bizarre. When each of them speak to anyone else it's normal, but when with each other the pace slows right down.

I hope they subvert expectations for once and Sabine never connects with the force. That would be an eye opener!

So far the whole thing is a bit meh, but then so was Clone Wars and Rebels in the first couple of seasons, then it became incredible later on. So I'm going to give this a fair shake in the meantime. Not awful, not great, just stuff happening *shrugs*

Soldato
Yup, soon as the helmet got brought out i expected it to play out that way, and it did.

Virtually the same dialogue too. This is the main reason why people are fed up. Doing virtually the same thing with a twist, you're still doing the same thing, just not as good.

Associate
The Ahsoka spacesuit scene was so bad it was brilliant...I couldn't stop laughing :cry:

The acting in this is just so wooden, and budget Scarlett Johansson's single expression is really ******* annoying.

Soldato
they are shooting her rather than the ship because its like a challenge "bet you cant hit me" and dark side peoples are easily tempted by such things

Yup. she was calling to their vanity and ego. A Sith padawan's goal to take down a Jedi directly is too tempting as bragging rights to her master. If they blew up the ship and consequently killed Ashoka I don't think it would count in her eyes. Hence why Ashoka said she was doing it as a "Distraction" It's not the gotcha the critics think it is. There's plenty of weird stuff they could be criticising instead which is more worthy of criticism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom