It's too hot :(

Urgh. Besides the stifling heat being uncomfortable its bringing on plagues of flies. Drain files, fungus gnats, call them what you like first they were coming out the drain and then I went to the bin and clouds of them flew out its like a biblical plague. I'm having to put aside any vegetable matter banana peel, apple cores, tea bags, anything damp and organic and tying them up in bags and dumping them straight outside leaving them in the bin indoors is asking for trouble.

Came here to comment on the insects. They're having a field day! Taken out two Wasps nests recently and the buggers are still everywhere. It's gotten to the point where i'm starting to feel guilty every time i see a Wasp corpse though. Think i'll leave them in peace next year.

It reached 40"C for the first tine in some parts of Tokyo Japan, how insane is that?
Apparently it's setting new temperature records all over Japan, with the notable exceptions of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Do we know what records all this hot weather has broken at all? Seems like we will be looking back of summer 2018 in years to come!
Apparently it's the hottest summer during a La Nina (opposite of El Nino) event on record*.

*Worth noting that in the case of weather events on record basically means in the last century or so.

Anyone know what the state of the reservoirs down south is? They keep showing us pics of dry riverbeds on the news, but there isn't full-scale panic yet, so I assume there's still water somewhere :p

Wonder what the plan is should they all dry out completely. Or if that just can't happen?

Anyone know what the state of the reservoirs down south is? They keep showing us pics of dry riverbeds on the news, but there isn't full-scale panic yet, so I assume there's still water somewhere :p

Wonder what the plan is should they all dry out completely. Or if that just can't happen?

We had a little rain around Friday which has probably helped marginally - the two reservoirs nearest were pretty full a few days back a little less than normal but marginal.

I was in mid wales last week and the reservoirs I saw looked pretty low, but I dont know if thats normal or not during summer. I did a lot of walking on the hills and the usually boggy ground is bone dry, lots of small streams and waterfalls dried up. Never seen it like that in all the years I have been going.

Surely we could come up with something, we are after all surrounded on all sides by water :)

All the water companies have this information available, my water provider is showing 80% so no panic yet.

https://corporate.southeastwater.co.uk/about-us/our-environment/our-reservoir-groundwater-levels

All the water companies have this information available, my water provider is showing 80% so no panic yet.

https://corporate.southeastwater.co.uk/about-us/our-environment/our-reservoir-groundwater-levels
Cool, didn't realise that :)

https://www.southwestwater.co.uk/environment/a-precious-resource/current-reservoir-storages/

One down to 40% :eek: but most of them between 70 and 80pc. No panic just yet, then :) We'll talk again in September when it's 50 degrees and everything is on fire ;)

Back
Top Bottom