It's too hot :(

Honestly, it sounds (and looks...) mad, but stick some foil up in the bedroom window, it'll drop the temp by several degrees. I shall be forever grateful to the guy who suggested it in this thread...
Right, cheers for the tip, so do you stick to outside window during day I take it to reflect the sun.

The quote does not say that the heat was the cause, neither did the Professor: "
Asked whether thousands of people could die in the hot weather - as has been reported in newspapers - UKHSA chief scientific officer Prof Oliver declined to suggest a figure.
"It is very difficult to predict but I can tell you that we monitor this very closely," she told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.
"Last year we didn't reach temperatures anywhere near the ones that are predicted for next week, [and] we saw over 1,600 excess deaths associated with the period of heatwave"

Doesn't say they were heat related, could have been drowning due to people swimming where they shouldn't have, there could be any number of reasons.
Even as someone that loves this weather. You have to realise that the UK is still not acclimatised to this sort of hotter temperatures. Even if you and I find this absolutely fine, many will struggle. Just like in winter, whereas I'm quite happy to be in shorts and a hoodie in sub 10C (only when doing exercise mind!) many people will struggle with the cold.

People die of the cold and the heat. It's been going on since forever really.

It's more reported now as we have better access to this data and information than ever before.

Saying that hot temperature is not a contributing factor to ill health is quite naive. Whilst I wouldn't go to.the extent of suggesting we need A/C everywhere (not very green either!) There needs to be better provision for hot and cold temperature extremes, which whilst rare, do happen.

Just because it doesn't affect you (or me) directly doesn't mean it's not a serious issue for others.

Now with regards to not going to work because of the heat, I'm more on your side about people should just toughen up for a couple of days...

Even as someone that loves this weather. You have to realise that the UK is still not acclimatised to this sort of hotter temperatures. Even if you and I find this absolutely fine, many will struggle. Just like in winter, whereas I'm quite happy to be in shorts and a hoodie in sub 10C (only when doing exercise mind!) many people will struggle with the cold.

People die of the cold and the heat. It's been going on since forever really.

It's more reported now as we have better access to this data and information than ever before.

Saying that hot temperature is not a contributing factor to ill health is quite naive. Whilst I wouldn't go to.the extent of suggesting we need A/C everywhere (not very green either!) There needs to be better provision for hot and cold temperature extremes, which whilst rare, do happen.

Just because it doesn't affect you (or me) directly doesn't mean it's not a serious issue for others.

Now with regards to not going to work because of the heat, I'm more on your side about people should just toughen up for a couple of days...

Agreed, but not so on the work front, depends on the line of work really.

Labourers for instance in this heat won't fair well, but then most (at least self employed ones) just start earlier and finish up before it really kicks in.

I work in an office, and I've been in shorts since like March because it gets so warm on there and the last week has been horrendous in our office quite frankly :D Let alone next week.

Guys,

I think I’m being a bit dim here but been running my AC for the last couple of days.

Would I be right in thinking that as a rough estimate, worst case it draws 1000W = 1kWh and my rate is 20p kWh so roughly for 10 hours it’s £2?

Moving out on Tuesday (middle of a heatwave) and want to try and understand what it’s cost before sending final meter reading.

If only the meters weren’t stuck in the cellar I don’t have access to!

Try doing the job of the team I'll be leading over Sunday and Monday in these temperatures LOL in a busy warehouse with AC which basically does nothing at the best of times... if it gets like predicted on Tuesday I don't think we will have much choice though as it may literally be impossible for people to breath properly in the building.

Guys,

I think I’m being a bit dim here but been running my AC for the last couple of days.

Would I be right in thinking that as a rough estimate, worst case it draws 1000W = 1kWh and my rate is 20p kWh so roughly for 10 hours it’s £2?

Moving out on Tuesday (middle of a heatwave) and want to try and understand what it’s cost before sending final meter reading.

Split or portable system?

Either way, neither is likely to be using 1kw all day long. My AC power usage isn't all that high even with 2 rooms set to 20C, probably £1.50 a day when running both all day long at worst. My energy usage for the house hasn't exceeded 1kwh for any period of the day so far.

Guys,

Depends whether built in or portable, but I’d highly doubt it’s drawing 1000W. 3-4 of our systems on at once are unlikely to pull more than that when cooling the house normally. In total it cost us no more than £55 to cool the whole house last year. May be a little more this year :p

Agreed, but not so on the work front, depends on the line of work really.

Labourers for instance in this heat won't fair well, but then most (at least self employed ones) just start earlier and finish up before it really kicks in.

I work in an office, and I've been in shorts since like March because it gets so warm on there and the last week has been horrendous in our office quite frankly :D Let alone next week.
In the civil engineering space where I work pretty much everyone on the tools and on site will be working. However as ever we make provision to protect our workforce. The world can't stop because of the weather, we carried on throughout covid as well because it was safe to do so. That said we do tweak the shift times, but most of the major infrastructure projects are a mix public sector spending as well as private so people want to make sure productivity continues.

I still wear shirt and trousers but I like being smart though I'd love for the business world to be less uptight about dress codes but until societal constructs change I think I'll find it hard to wear shorts in a professional environment.

Split or portable system?

Either way, neither is likely to be using 1kw all day long. My AC power usage isn't all that high even with 2 rooms set to 20C, probably £1.50 a day when running both all day long at worst. My energy usage for the house hasn't exceeded 1kwh for any period of the day so far.
Portable system, I have a feeling it might be using a fair bit of power, it’s in the living room which has a conservatory joining but without doors to separate so it’s set to 21C and on high for the whole time.

Try doing the job of the team I'll be leading over Sunday and Monday in these temperatures LOL in a busy warehouse with AC which basically does nothing at the best of times... if it gets like predicted on Tuesday I don't think we will have much choice though as it may literally be impossible for people to breath properly in the building.
It's tough I'm not disagreeing. if your clients can accept a downturn in productivity then there's no issue of course, I guess you'll have to make changes or review the contractual obligations but I'm sure people would be understanding because of circumstances.
That's fine if you work in an air conditioned office of course. Other jobs are available...
There are and I speak from experience on being out on site a fair bit. But I'm not that naïve to appreciate there are situations where it's difficult. As I said as long as the right provisions are made it's only for a few days.

I guess companies could offer people to take some A/L for those 2 days.

It's tough I'm not disagreeing. if your clients can accept a downturn in productivity then there's no issue of course, I guess you'll have to make changes or review the contractual obligations but I'm sure people would be understanding because of circumstances.

Sadly the supply chain isn't exactly accommodating. Ideally we'd shift some of the non-essential work, which isn't time sensitive, to later in the week when it looks to be cooler as an exception for the worst of it, but that notion is like trying to turn a boat around... sure it means having a bit extra to do later in the week but that is more manageable when it is cooler than normal levels of work when it is crazy hot.

Sadly the supply chain isn't exactly accommodating. Ideally we'd shift some of the non-essential work, which isn't time sensitive, to later in the week when it looks to be cooler as an exception for the worst of it, but that notion is like trying to turn a boat around... sure it means having a bit extra to do later in the week but that is more manageable when it is cooler than normal levels of work when it is crazy hot.
Agreed more agility would help everyone. Not just for this situation but in general.

Back
Top Bottom