It's too hot :(

Portable system, I have a feeling it might be using a fair bit of power, it’s in the living room which has a conservatory joining but without doors to separate so it’s set to 21C and on high for the whole time.

I meassured my old portable on a smart plug a while ago, it peaked at just over 800w, but it cycles on and off once it reaches the set temp so that's not a constant power draw. Over a week of using it overnight in the bedroom it used around 13.5kwh, bearing in mind this was a bit over a month ago so it was a lot cooler though.

Some interesting commentary in here.
In southern Spain for example, temps of 35 plus, are not uncommon in the height of summer.
But everyone has AC or takes a siesta.

The UK general infrastructure/social model just isn't designed for these temperatures.

The NHS is already overloaded and underfunded, I'm predicting a lot of needless pressure on the NHS over the next few days.

More worried for our 15 year old dog, he’s already nearing the end of his life. Someone mentioned buying some watermelon and having it in the fridge to try and help him stay hydrated, without seeds and rind obviously.

Sorry, only just seen your post, dogs are very good at self regulating internal body temperature, just keep him in the shade, if it's cooler inside, (which it may well be in a room you have kept the blinds or curtains shut from late evening today, and all day tomorrow), leave him there with a bowl of cool water and a modest quantity of bland food to eat. If it's cooler in the shade outside, leave him there, but, no insult, remember what was shade, can become direct sunlight as the hours pass.

I have ten dogs here, they'll be in their kennels outside, I am here all day felling a tree, I'll just make sure they have plenty of water and give them controlled exercise if it's much hotter than it's been today. Today they've been fine and not showing any signs of distress at all, as i'd expect, it's not been THAT hot.

Good luck, I am sure with a bit of forethought he'll be fine :) I am NOT a fan of giving dogs iced wter or frozen stuff, the shock to their stomachs can cause upsets, cool water should be all they need.

In the civil engineering space where I work pretty much everyone on the tools and on site will be working. However as ever we make provision to protect our workforce. The world can't stop because of the weather, we carried on throughout covid as well because it was safe to do so. That said we do tweak the shift times, but most of the major infrastructure projects are a mix public sector spending as well as private so people want to make sure productivity continues.

I still wear shirt and trousers but I like being smart though I'd love for the business world to be less uptight about dress codes but until societal constructs change I think I'll find it hard to wear shorts in a professional environment.

Yeah thankfully my boss is fine and I'm not in meeting all the time, I mean, they're Chino shorts so not as bad as say cargo shorts or whatever.

See your point though, likewise I never stopped working over COVID.

As you alluded to earlier though, the country just isn't prepared for this kind of heat :p I'm on Italy at the moment and everyone's still out working, but then I can buy six massive bottles of water for next to nothing, do that in Tesco it would cost a fortune :D

Some interesting commentary in here.
In southern Spain for example, temps of 35 plus, are not uncommon in the height of summer.
But everyone has AC or takes a siesta.

The UK general infrastructure/social model just isn't designed for these temperatures.

The NHS is already overloaded and underfunded, I'm predicting a lot of needless pressure on the NHS over the next few days.
Humidity plays a big role. For example it’s up around 45-50% in the UK at the moment but down around 10-15% in Madrid. This means your body has trouble regulating temperature as the sweat doesn’t evaporate easily.

today we're still not in the 20's for wet bulb temperature ... and 30 is the problem area
... it's humid heat's opressives, where your sweat doesn't evaporate - seems we need to know forecast for wet bulb temperature

if you had scales I guess you could weigh yourself to see dehydration/sweating level, apart from sunburn, is it better to do outdoor sport Putinesque.

e: https://meteologix.com/uk/observations/united-kingdom/wet-bulb-temperature/20220714-0600z.html

Humidity plays a big role. For example it’s up around 45-50% in the UK at the moment but down around 10-15% in Madrid. This means your body has trouble regulating temperature as the sweat doesn’t evaporate easily.

Madrid is actually quite high up in terms of sea level /elevation. Spain is a huge country. On the costas it's a totally different eco system.

We’re screwed. We keep beating weather record after record globally, we’ve seen huge ecological losses within our short lifetimes and I’m convinced we’re more boned than any government is letting on, hence the sudden push toward renewables, electric cars etc.
Yep, and there's still countless idiots denying it. :(

Also the usual reminder that % relative humidity is actually a terrible measure of how it feels outside. You need to look at the dew point: if the dew point is above 15ºC it's going to really start feeling humid, above 19-20ºC it feels horrible, and anything above 24-25ºC is just beyond horrific.

For example, 35ºC with a dew point of 25ºC is only 56% relative humidity (which sounds fine) but that would feel awful if you went out in it.

Madrid is actually quite high up in terms of sea level /elevation. Spain is a huge country. On the costas it's a totally different eco system.
The Costas are also coastal so benefit from a slightly lower temperature and more wind. The humidity is a bit higher but certainly not pushing 50% like we are getting here. I had a grandparent that lived in Portugal where it would regularly hit 40C but you would never feel it in the shade. I’m not looking forward to a 40C London on Monday and Tuesday. A/C at the office will be my only escape!

Want to sleep. Problem is, there's awful loud music playing from one of the gardens in the direction of my bedroom window. Wish people stop being so bloody selfish and realise that not only there are people who are working tomorrow. Also the very young, old and sick.

It happens every time there's hot weather here. but this time round, its another garden, closer to my bedroom.

Also the usual reminder that % relative humidity is actually a terrible measure of how it feels outside. You need to look at the dew point: if the dew point is above 15ºC it's going to really start feeling humid, above 19-20ºC it feels horrible, and anything above 24-25ºC is just beyond horrific.

For example, 35ºC with a dew point of 25ºC is only 56% relative humidity (which sounds fine) but that would feel awful if you went out in it.
Is the dew point something that is forecasted? Can’t see anything for Monday and Tuesday about this.

Is the dew point something that is forecasted? Can’t see anything for Monday and Tuesday about this.
Dew point is an oft-little reported number which is a shame because it's very useful. Yes, it is forecast, but never seems to show up on the major websites. I'm sorry I don't have any links to this at the moment but I would expect a reasonably short Google should get to a decent site for the UK.

Back
Top Bottom