It's too hot :(

I always have Windows open. If there's a breeze it's always better open
But if the house is 24ºC inside, and it's 35ºC outside, then you're letting in a 35ºC breeze, which will just heat up the house even more. How on earth is that better?

I'm in a new build so well insulated - keeping the windows, blinds, and curtains shut really helps. I've just cardboarded most of the south-facing windows to keep even more heat out tomorrow. Got to do everything to stop sunlight getting through the window.

But if the house is 24ºC inside, and it's 35ºC outside, then you're letting in a 35ºC breeze, which will just heat up the house even more. How on earth is that better?
This is another reason why everybody struggles with heat in this country. They don't realise this. Look at any southern European countries and if they don't have Aircon they have shutters on the windows and literally block out the sun and hot air all day

It's a lovely 25c here today.
Building towards upper 20s.

Decided on just swimming today.

Factor 30 at the ready.

I was thinking last night. Life would suck without sun screen!

3 weeks ago I accidentally ordered 2 tubes of SPF50 sunscreen by accident (instead of moisturiser), decided to keep it…good move lol

Yesterday and today I've cycled about 106 miles... and sweated about 106 pints I think :cry: It's not too bad cycling weather with the cooling breeze as you ride along. I have spent the coffee stops in the shade though, as without that breeze, you can really feel it, especially this morning.

I'm in a new build so well insulated - keeping the windows, blinds, and curtains shut really helps. I've just cardboarded most of the south-facing windows to keep even more heat out tomorrow. Got to do everything to stop sunlight getting through the window.

I just have to open the window. I find the air movement of hot air is more pleasant than the still warm air.

Yesterday and today I've cycled about 106 miles... and sweated about 106 pints I think :cry: It's not too bad cycling weather with the cooling breeze as you ride along. I have spent the coffee stops in the shade though, as without that breeze, you can really feel it, especially this morning.
Impressive! I kayaked.. 5 miles! :D

This is another reason why everybody struggles with heat in this country. They don't realise this. Look at any southern European countries and if they don't have Aircon they have shutters on the windows and literally block out the sun and hot air all day
In Europe a lot of homes (older homes) have shutters on the outside. Very effective in the summer. Also they often spray water on the roofs which helps too.

Just took the dog for a quick walk and its glorious out there today, 27-28* but thin clouds cutting out the direct sun and a gentle breeze.

Luckily my office at home is North facing so stays quite cool, even though it's got 2 servers and PC running in it. So it's lovely in here just working away with the Golf on in the background :)

They have shutters on the outside which help, closing windows and curtains inside only works to an extent and over the course of the day the rooms still heat up.

They have shutters on the outside which help, closing windows and curtains inside only works to an extent and over the course of the day the rooms still heat up.

So are we basically ******?

I think it comes down to something very simple.

I have a thermometer which says the temp inside is currently 27C. It's OK. When the temp outside goes above that [like now, when it's 29C outside], close the windows and use a fan. You can normally tell by just sticking your hand out.

Yesterday was roasting, the same again today.

I want the cold weather :<<

Death Valley holds the record for the highest air temperature on the planet: On 10 July 1913, temperatures at the aptly named Furnace Creek area in the California desert reached a blistering 56.7°C (134.1°F). Average summer temperatures, meanwhile, often rise above 45°C (113°F).

Yep, I think at our next window refresh I'd look at an inward-opening style window, with some kind of built in external shutter. Would work wonders, I'm sure.

So are we basically ******?

I think it comes down to something very simple.

I have a thermometer which says the temp inside is currently 27C. It's OK. When the temp outside goes above that [like now, when it's 29C outside], close the windows. You can normally tell by just sticking your hand out.

Yeah but if there is a breeze then windows open can feel better. Upstairs in my house gets like a furnace whatever I do tbh.

Back
Top Bottom