It's too hot :(

Soldato
How come UK heat is more miserable than other hot nations? I always get told by people when they go on holiday to a hot country its not unpleasant like UK heat, Id it all down to our high humidity?

Soldato
How come UK heat is more miserable than other hot nations? I always get told by people when they go on holiday to a hot country its not unpleasant like UK heat, Id it all down to our high humidity?

It's that and that our buildings just aren't built for it. So there's no real respite.

Soldato
The shade temp at the front (south facing) side of the house is 34 and, somehow, I've just survived a mile & a half cycle into town and back to get more antibiotics for my fragile mother. Not ideal weather for dementia care! By letting gravity do the work where possible, and not being ashamed, as usual, to use the teeny-tiny, pedal-like-you're-a-weedy-muppet-going-backwards gears on the way back, I'm surprisingly not dead.

I'm definitely someone that needs water cooling. Ideal for me's about 18-20 and over 22 makes me grumpy & knackered before very long. But starting from a cool house (so far!) and a pitstop at an AC'd chemist helped the slog. As did quite a stiff Cheshire plain breeze... though it was rather like sucking a paint stripper at times.

I've never been abroad chasing sun. Today has confirmed I never will!

Caporegime
It's that and that our buildings just aren't built for it. So there's no real respite.

UK buildings have insulation and insulation works both ways.

It's just we don't have air con at home. I am pretty sure a UK home is more comfortable than a tiny flat in **** Kok with no air con. Also why people escapes to shopping malls too.

Associate
I've been watching the sheep in the field behind the house and feeling sorry for them hiding in the small bits of shade they can find, then thought of pigs in the fields with only the metal huts and no shade, they must be having a rough time of it :(

Soldato
I mean, honestly, why?
Getting enough water every day is important for your health. Drinking water can prevent dehydration, a condition that can cause unclear thinking, result in mood change, cause your body to overheat, and lead to constipation and kidney stones

Man of Honour
Not too bad outside actually, decent breeze makes it somewhat comfortable.

Went for a outdoor gym session and the worst part was the hot metal bars. The magnum and twister I had on the way back and forth certainly helped though :D

Soldato
UK buildings have insulation and insulation works both ways.

It's just we don't have air con at home. I am pretty sure a UK home is more comfortable than a tiny flat in **** Kok with no air con. Also why people escapes to shopping malls too.
We have massive windows with no external shading/shutters which is the killer for us. Massive windows means solar gain for the rest of the year when we need it (as we're a reasonable cool/cold country). And also our insulation standards and therefore insulation installations have been sub-par for quite some time. Most homes have far too little and so the heat goes right through.

I foresee a slight shift in building techniques that will include both more insulation, and some features like external shading/shutters to help us combat the heat.

Back
Top Bottom