I've given up on LPG - the future is Electric.

Doesn't sound that cheap... £6 for 60 miles? A 2.0L or smaller diesel will do that without much trouble while keeping to the speed limit.

When it comes to actual cost... won't the battery life make the car useless a long time before a small diesel engine would stop functioning... making the actual cost and general wastage higher?

£6 for 60 miles isn't cheap.

I've only had to use Ecotricity once since they introduced the new payment model. Maybe I'm just fortunate, but Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and Nottingham are all within range. I use Polar Plus to charge when I get to my destination instead.

Whether or not £6 for 60 miles is an obstacle largely depends on how you use the car. If you regularly need to recharge at motorway services then yes, an EV will get expensive. If motorway charging is a rare occurrence then the overall cost is going to be vastly cheaper than an ICE, even if the occasional long journey is expensive.

As for the expected life bit, it's an interesting question. With an ICE you have a few expected points of failure; the clutch, the cam belt, the exhaust. These parts wear out and need replacing. With an EV, the battery is the concern. It's considerably more expensive than any of those ICE parts, but it's also expected to last much longer. I'd be curious to see how much difference there is over the vehicle's life cycle.

Last edited:
And another thing.

What are the global Lithium reserves anyway?

How many cars can you make with that?

How much is lost each time a battery goes round the recycling loop?

How much is the price of Lithium going to go up (And therefore the cost of batteries) once production gets to the wrong side of the Hubbert curve?

And so on....

Having a £7-9k electric car to do the odd bit of local commuting or a £2k 1.6 focus to do the same thing and still be able to drive to Scotland and back if needed.

As a second or third car for that kind of use they make even less sense.

It's like people who do naff all miles buying a 5.0 V8 to drove around in, the fuel costs are irrelevant as they are going nowhere, if they were doing 20k a year it's a big issue, but for 5kpa?

No issue at all.

Searches I just did show similar age/mileage Leafs going in the £10-12k range.

A £2k focus isn't quite as comparable as it will be noticeably older.

From an ecological standpoint... continuing to use a car which is destined for the tip in the near future is the better choice for various reasons.

Looking in a vaguely similar age and price bracket... I can see things like 2.0tdi Vauxhall Insignias... or a 1.2tdi seat ibiza for half the price.

Various other things that are in a similar class of car to the Leaf going for 50-60% of the price of the Leaf which will last longer and cost less in the long run.

Maybe, but the emissions on a 5.0 V8 can't be small. Personally, and it's not going to be a popular way of thinking, but I'd legislate any car over 2-litres out of existence on our roads (ie for track day or similar use only) as we're reaching a tipping point where we either think of our own enjoyment (part selfishness) or actually start thinking about what our legacy will be for future generations. And while I'm in control all new build homes would have to have solar panels, with the economic, environmental and employment benefits that would bring :D

That wouldn't make much sense.

I have a company car with a 1.8l petrol 4-cylinder engine.

I have a personal car with a 3.4l flat-six engine.

My 3.4l flat-six is MORE fuel efficient than the 1.8l... blanket rules on size are silly because it ignores cheap brands that make crummy small engines.

Basic emissions output is actually a small proportion of the ecological footprint of a car. You have to look at the production too and batteries have a massive ecological footprint.

However at least as battery technologies improve, that will be reduced and a relatively good way to help that process along is to invest in electric vehicles.

You need a wider viewpoint to really consider the impact... and even then, CO2 is not a viable statistic - it's just one that's easy to measure (and tax).

£6 for 60 miles isn't cheap.

I've only had to use Ecotricity once since they introduced the new payment model. Maybe I'm just fortunate, but Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and Nottingham are all within range. I use Polar Plus to charge when I get to my destination instead.

Whether or not £6 for 60 miles is an obstacle largely depends on how you use the car. If you regularly need to recharge at motorway services then yes, an EV will get expensive. If motorway charging is a rare occurrence then the overall cost is going to be vastly cheaper than an ICE, even if the occasional long journey is expensive.

As for the expected life bit, it's an interesting question. With an ICE you have a few expected points of failure; the clutch, the cam belt, the exhaust. These parts wear out and need replacing. With an EV, the battery is the concern. It's considerably more expensive than any of those ICE parts, but it's also expected to last much longer. I'd be curious to see how much difference there is over the vehicle's life cycle.

What's the normal cost to recharge then?

Just to add more into the mix... there's also the "cost" to the road infrastructure... given that electric cars are noticeably heavier than their counterparts, they increase wear and tear on the road surface leading to more tar/etc production :D

And another thing.

How much is lost each time a battery goes round the recycling loop?

How much is the price of Lithium going to go up (And therefore the cost of batteries) once production gets to the wrong side of the Hubbert curve?

And so on....

Battery recycling processes are improving at a surprisingly quick rate, which is nice to see.

Just checked and Nissan only guarantee 70% charge hold for 60,000 miles.

That's not very long til the car become unusable really... unless they happen to last a lot longer than the guarantee.

Tesla guarantees their batteries for a long time... but with the price of the vehicle... you've got multiple battery replacements included in the original purchase price of the car lol :D

At home? Roughly 10p per kWh, so £2.20 (±10%) for a full charge. The battery is never fully flat, but charging isn't 100% efficient, so that costing is very approximate.

Out and about? £1.20 per charge (unlimited) with Polar, or £7.95 per month for Polar Plus. In some locations there's effectively a negative cost as free parking is offered. Birmingham is a good example - free on-street parking in the city centre while recharging.

Just to add more into the mix... there's also the "cost" to the road infrastructure... given that electric cars are noticeably heavier than their counterparts, they increase wear and tear on the road surface leading to more tar/etc production :D

Yes. That is quite probable.

TBH I'm no eco warrior. I bought an EV because it was cheap and it fits my needs. If it's no more polluting than a combustion vehicle, I'd be happy with that. In all likelihood it's less, possibly by a significant margin, possibly not.

Certainly in terms of localised pollution, if the majority of vehicles on the road were EVs then air quality in urban areas would be significantly improved. That is something I think is important. From my understanding of current research, you'd be healthier living in the countryside smoking a pack a day than living in many of our cities.

Last edited:
Just checked and Nissan only guarantee 70% charge hold for 60,000 miles.

That's not very long til the car become unusable really... unless they happen to last a lot longer than the guarantee.

Tesla guarantees their batteries for a long time... but with the price of the vehicle... you've got multiple battery replacements included in the original purchase price of the car lol :D

Where did you look? The new Leaf is guaranteed to 80%, 100,000 miles, 8 years.

The original warranty was calculated on the assumption of 500 cycles at NEDC range (120 miles). 500x120=60,000 miles. But that's based on complete charge/discharge cycles. In the real world, that simply doesn't happen; people don't drive their EVs to 0% before plugging in. Partial cycles significantly extend the life of the battery. 1500 cycles at 50% of capacity would be 90,000 miles.

What follows is that rising capacities grant two bonuses; a smaller amount of the battery is used between charges, granting more cycles. And the battery is more useful even at 70% of rated capacity. A Tesla Model S at 70% capacity will still have more range than a brand new 24kWh Leaf.

I'm not familiar with exact numbers for Tesla, but if a P100D can do 300 miles on a charge, 1500 cycles at 50% of capacity, then that's 225,000 miles covered before the battery hits 70% of rated capacity. At this point, the car is still capable of doing 210 miles before it needs to be recharged. I could live with that. If I couldn't then I'd have the battery reconditioned - the knackered cells replaced. Massively cheaper than buying a new battery.

Last edited:
Exactly.

I remember some 20 years ago nailing my colours to the mast with....

a) Oil will not "run out" in the foreseeable future

b) Oil will not "Sustain" above $100/Bbl

The point is that above $100Bbl, the available fossil fuel alternatives have reserves running into the thousands of years.

Yep, never will run out of the stuff, so a ban or a complete alternative.

However, in some ways, the car IS a huge disappointment. When driven normally - ie without caring about heat, performance etc, the range is probably around 50 miles. 24kw is simply not enough battery. 30kw isn't either. To be a viable proper alternative, I'd say at least 50kw is necessary, maybe even more. If the new 30kw model of Leaf is £1600 more than the 24kw, they should do a 50kw and charge £7000 more.

For us though, this is a second car to take the slack of driving locally - which amount to the majority of our currently driving. It was also incredibly good value - and hopefully will continue to be cheap and good value for many years to come. :)

It's worth taking some solace from the fact that you've bought at the absolute worst time of year. It's winter. It's cold. Range in a 24kWh Leaf is going to be ****.

When I got the Zoe a year ago I drove really carefully, feeling much the same as you do now. I was disappointed by the range, the compromise. 58 on the motorway, heating off, Eco mode on, wasn't uncommon. As the weather warms up range will increase dramatically. And you'll get more confident with the car.

By next winter you'll be used to driving an EV and dealing with charging will be second nature. I haven't used Eco in a long time, I now drive on the motorway at the speed limit, and have climate control set at 22. Range has become a minor inconvenience, seeing 10 miles remaining no longer causes stress as I know the intended charger is within range, along with a backup. The only journey I've skipped all year is the 320 mile trip to see my grandparents. I took the train instead, first class for less than the cost of fuel in my old petrol car.

Given you're a former LPG driver you're surely used to having to remember where the fuelling stations are? I expect you'll pick up EV driving quicker than most. It's the same basic concept.

Last edited:
And another thing.

We will run out of steal from making the cars before running out of Lithium to make the cells. The amount of actual lithium is tiny.

From an ecological standpoint... continuing to use a car which is destined for the tip in the near future is the better choice for various reasons.

I have a company car with a 1.8l petrol 4-cylinder engine.

I have a personal car with a 3.4l flat-six engine.

My 3.4l flat-six is MORE fuel efficient than the 1.8l... blanket rules on size are silly because it ignores cheap brands that make crummy small engines.

However at least as battery technologies improve, that will be reduced and a relatively good way to help that process along is to invest in electric vehicles.

Are you comparing a 3.4L and a 1.8L from the same era? The 3.4L being more efficient does not compute. Sure if you drove the 3.4L like a granny and ragged the 1.8L around everywhere then yes its possible but that is not really the point.

They are lasting much longer than expected if you see the links I posted a few pages back.

At home? Roughly 10p per kWh, so £2.20 (±10%) for a full charge. The battery is never fully flat, but charging isn't 100% efficient, so that costing is very approximate.

Most EV's are getting between 4 and 5 miles per KW depending on how you drive and the temperature. so between 2-3 pence per mile. If your getting 50 mpg from your car its more like 11 pence per mile. Lets face it most people don't actually get an average 50 mpg even with the most efficient cars because they are not driven far enough to get a good average. An EV's efficiency isnt crippled anything like a ICE when driven outside the optimal use case.

Localised pollution yes, overall ecological footprint no - they're worse than a 5.0 V8... for now at least, I expect that to improve as battery tech, production and refinement cycles are improved.

Source?

This has been banded around since the launch of the Prius and has been debunked so many times and is simply not true.

I agree some of the original EV's do not have the best of ranges and ultimately are a first gen car with a new technology. But your ignoring the fact that there are cars on the market that do.

Renault Zoe 40KW
Chevy Bolt (US/Europe)
BMW i3 Rex
Tesla

2017 will bring
Tesla Model 3
Leaf (possible)

2018 will have new offerings from all manufacturers.

Last edited:
Most EV's are getting between 4 and 5 miles per KW depending on how you drive and the temperature.

Statements like that are why people like the OP buy EVs and then find themselves disappointed. 4+ during warm (but not hot) weather, sure. Might get close to 5 if you drive like an angel. Right now you're doing well if you're getting over 3. Operating on best case scenarios all the time gives people the wrong impression; even careful EV drivers and hypermilers will struggle to hit 5MpkWh reliably. For the rest of us, 75 miles average (±20 miles depending on the weather) is more realistic.

Last edited:
Statements like that are why people like the OP buy EVs and then find themselves disappointed. 4+ during warm (but not hot) weather, sure. Might get close to 5 if you drive like an angel. Right now you're doing well if you're getting over 3.

We are not in Norway here the number of days the UK is actually 'cold' is minimal. Odly enough Scandinavian counties where is is far colder for much longer have a much higher EV/Plug-in-hybrid adoption rate.

So you get 3 for a few days a year, your average over the year is what I said. You only get 60MPG in your eco ICE car doing the same thing and on a 'run'....

We are not in Norway here the number of days the UK is actually 'cold' is minimal. Odly enough Scandinavian counties where is is far colder for much longer have a much higher EV/Plug-in-hybrid adoption rate.

So you get 3 for a few days a year, your average over the year is what I said. You only get 60MPG in your eco ICE car doing the same thing and on a 'run'....

The average is nowhere near what you put. 92 to 115 miles average per charge in an old model Zoe? No chance. 85 to 106 annual average in a Leaf? Again, not happening. Not under any driving conditions containing even a glimmer of normality.

I got home from a 45 mile trip today with 43% battery remaining. Haven't had range anywhere near that good in months, though I'll admit I lost patience with the hypermiling crap quite quickly. 55MPH on the motorway with the heating off? Sod that. That isn't normal.

Last edited:
Well, stage one of the commute was completed without a hitch. Made it to Thurrock with 14 miles to spare on the range (and 20% charge).

The half-hour break was actually very well timed for another type of 'range anxiety'.

Got to Southend after that comfortably, with range to spare to get back to Thurrock in-case all of the free chargers in Southend are busted.

Back
Top Bottom